Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very easy job to do. Wifey pulled handle off and was using a teaspoon handle to release hand brake!!

I found it easier to remove the panel above the pedals (2 torx head screws and a push clip) and slide out the hand brake cable from the pedal assembly. This gives you slightly more slack in the cable. Use a pair of snoop nose pliers to grab the ball on the end of the cable inside the handle (it's a bit fiddly as you have to hold the handle out at the same time). Ease the ball out of the socket and let go. Handle then just pulls out. Put new handle in place and reverse the procedure, use pliers to ease ball back in to handle, put cable back into pedal asembly (there is a cut out on the tunnel side of the assembly)and replace kick panel. 10 minute job saving an expensive trip to the stealers. Handle costs 12 quid.

·
32 Posts
Dorset_treg

Thanks for the teaspoon trick.

Wife phoned me at work last week to tell me she had managed to pull the emergency brake handle off
Luckily it was on the drive but with the brakes on! Now we carry a tea-spoon in the car wherever we go.

Booked into local dealer next week to get new handle fitted and new pedal damper, to fix the double-release issue, all under warranty

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Did just as described above yesterday and it really was as easy as that.

·
52 Posts
Dealer did mine for free when I put it in for MOT............

·
3 Posts
anyone tell what the dealer price was like. lent my treg to my mum, came back and told me, "this JUST fell off in my hand!" i dont tink so

·
32 Posts
Sorry haven't got any feedback on pricing from my dealer...

Was fairly easy for me to get this covered under warranty. Just had to mention the "double release" issue and all sorted.

·
52 Posts
It is about £12 for the handle and 1 hours labour to fit

·
52 Posts
Sorry haven't got any feedback on pricing from my dealer...

Was fairly easy for me to get this covered under warranty. Just had to mention the "double release" issue and all sorted.
When you say "double release" do you mean having to pull the handle twice to release the parking brake? I had this issue when I picked up mine a couple of years ago and the guys on here said it was a known and it is all down to how you pull the handle, you need to pull it, hold for a couple of seconds and release, if you snatch at it you need to pull it a second time to distinguish the dash light - hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
It is about £12 for the handle and 1 hours labour to fit
1 hour labour.. WTF???

I know we lovingly (ahem) refer to them as Stealers but 1 hour labour for what is very literally a 5 minute job must be fraud!!
And that's 5 minutes for somebody who has never done it before, let alone a 'fully trained technician'.

Please tell me you didn't pay 1 hour labour for one to be fitted?

Sorry if I'm ranting but .................

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 hours labour my Ar*e!! Typical stealers, only deal in units of 1/2 hour or 1 hour. It literally is a ten minute job even with taking the kick panel off. I'm glad the teaspoon trick came in handy, that was recommended to t'missus by the RAC guy that came out to rescue her!

·
52 Posts
1 hour labour.. WTF???

I know we lovingly (ahem) refer to them as Stealers but 1 hour labour for what is very literally a 5 minute job must be fraud!!
And that's 5 minutes for somebody who has never done it before, let alone a 'fully trained technician'.

Please tell me you didn't pay 1 hour labour for one to be fitted?

Sorry if I'm ranting but .................
I did not pay anything in the end, it was due to be fixed as part of me using the dealer for the MOT - but when I got the bill they had replaced the handle and replaced a rear fog bulb and did not charge me for either - to be fair my local dealer has been fantastic over the past 2 years of ownership and have price matched on air con servicing, brake pads, tyres and servicing as well as doing trivia without charging and offering the level of service I would expect for a luxury car.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Who's your dealer?

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
As some get named and shamed, it's good to name and praise those that go the extra mile. Thanks.

·
52 Posts
I have recommended them previously as they were recommended to me by my father in law (Golf) when I got the Treg, their service has been so good they definately get first refusal on providing a replacement in a couple of years

Even Luxury Car Support have been relatively reasonable - they did go 50/50 on a wiring loom replacement even though the car was out of manufacturer's warranty

·
32 Posts
When you say "double release" do you mean having to pull the handle twice to release the parking brake? I had this issue when I picked up mine a couple of years ago and the guys on here said it was a known and it is all down to how you pull the handle, you need to pull it, hold for a couple of seconds and release, if you snatch at it you need to pull it a second time to distinguish the dash light - hope this helps
Yes that's the issue, mentioned it to dealer as a way of justifying a warranty repair on the handle and when they investigated they said I needed a new damper.
Not sure that is/was the problem, but all was done under warranty yesterday. Haven't tried the brake since so not sure if it has cured the 'double release' issue. Suppose I better go check.

·
560 Posts
anyone tell what the dealer price was like. lent my treg to my mum, came back and told me, "this JUST fell off in my hand!" i dont tink so
Same just happened to me, my brother said " this thing just fell off"
Thanks to this forum again, I know it's a 5 min job and £12, although I might keep him in suspense for a while

·
560 Posts
Easy job, done and while covers were off I put a few laps of insulation tape around the pedal where it hits the switch , just to give it an extra 2 mm travel.
Worked a treat, pull and release once now

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
Worked a treat, pull and release once now
How many clicks have you got on the pedal as you depress it? More than about 8 and the parking brakes shoes need adjusting.

·
29 Posts
How many clicks have you got on the pedal as you depress it? More than about 8 and the parking brakes shoes need adjusting.
Thanks to all again for the good advice, my handle came off about 10 months ago , why? Well simply due to thae fact it never released first time (common fault) and I obviously held it out just a little too far. Anyway the bad news is I did a very stupid thing that is back to haunt me today. I drove the car home about 10 miles and got something to release the handbrake. Agnews in Belfast then fixed it when it was in for its service.. all good so far..

Last week I had my first MOT and discovered the hand brake is not actaully working. Further inspection today revealed I need new shoes, AND discs and pads !! Tomorrow I will part with over £600 to get this fixed so disappointing as I love the Treg and it's been so good over last almost 4 years now.

LESSON - dont drive with the bloody brake on even if it feels like its only barely on... I know , what a [email protected]@@ ..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts