1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I did a search on this and somewhere on this forum I found a link to:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1251418

to get an idea on how to remove the headlight assembly so that I can change my H7 Halogen dipped beam bulbs

However the instructions on the link above just don't seem relevant to what I see in my engine bay on my 08 Treg. I have no crank hex bolt with a nice open/close indication and my manual doesn't reference very much and keeps saying this is a professional job to be done by a qualified mechanic. It does show a cream coloured plastic clip which my car does have and I can undo, but then you appear to just pivot out the unit, but I can't seem to do it (won't budge)

Has anyone ever successfully managed to remove their headlight unit to change bulbs themselves on a recent Treg? I get the impression that either you do it a different way on newer ones or maybe on UK spec cars, because the link above is from the USA and that's definitely not what's going on in my engine bay.

Appreciate any help - I did try to search before posting this, but I've come up with a blank and would rather not pay VW to do something if I can help it

**Edit**

This is the thread on here I found:

http://www.mytreg.com/how-to-change-your-halogen-headlight-bulbs-t6078.html

Michael

·
30 Posts
Hi Mikey B

i have just removed my headlights and put in halford super brillance blue

it is just like manual,

1. remove teminal blocks (this is the nightmare) prepare for scraped knuckles!!!
2. push little white lever towards front on car
3. pivot headlights as pic in manual. push inner side of light from inside engine bay (closest to grill) and push outer side in towards engine from outside.

it feels a little scary but works.

pushing back in is a little tricky and look in but aren't so double check when done

to be honest don't see a big difference but there you go!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi all

Firstly, i would just like to say "This Forum is chuffing great"......

Right then; My N/S/F dipped beam bulb has blown (Cars 2yrs old).

I have followed the manual and whilst it recommends going into VW, It also shows me how to do the job myself. (quite contradictory).

Anyhow the manual says - using the socket bit tool, place it on the hexagonal flat and turn in the direction of "open" (on the sticker) and the headlight unit should move about 2cm. WELL IT DOESNT !

It then says push the socket bit tool through bore 2 and use it to depress the sprung panel which keeps the headlight in postiion. At the same time hold the headlight and pull it out to the front.
I JUST CANNOT FIND THE DAMN SECOND HOLE!

I have called the local dealership, who advise that the bulbs are 100% more expensive than anywhere else and they would also charge me ?27.00 for the privelidge of fitting
by this time i am thinking you robbing B?&%@*&S!
There is now way am i going down that route!

So, im sat here thinking i'll give it another go tomorrow; when i suddenly get a brain wave!
The cars just 2 yrs old - would a bulb be covered under warranty?
Now; pretty much just for a laugh, i called VW ASSIST and YES it is covered and they will be sending someone out midday tomorrow !!!!!
=
=
WHAT A RESULT

=
=
Whilst i will be watching his every move; i would like to upgrade the bulbs.
Not wanting to be a boy racer with the blue bulbs or invalidating the warranty with 100W bulbs, i am looking to replace the existing halogen 55W ers with something that is alot brighter, like zenon's.

Anyone got any idea's?

Thanks for listening
Howard

·
Registered
73 Posts
So for the patient ones

i hope you can magnify the pics when you click on them so you can see the instructions

First stage is to locate the ballasts I show you the passenger side in detail. drivers you can see in the 3rd picture

Second headlight removal , there are better threads on this but you can roughly follow my thread

Third Drill the back of the plastic cap on the headlamp

Fourth Connect + &- spade connectors to ballast wire

Five Fix rubber housing to back of lamp over the 25mm hole and run cables to the snap connectors from the ballast

Six Refit headlamp

INSTRUCTIONS AND WIRING DIAGRAM

Sounds easy took me about an hour and a half the connections are really simple and foolproof,two spade connectors from existing bulb feed go to ballast connector,all ballast connectors are unique so you cannot misconnect, Hid bulb fits straight into existing socket (but wear cotton gloves so you dont touch the glass on the bulb)

I have the ultimate kit i think this has been replaced now with H1 Ultimate car pro http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product.php?pro ... =13&page=1

Hope it helps if you need any more help just PM me

Ken

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi

The legal issue is a constant debate, the way i look at it is with the Treg we have the projector beam lens so the light really looks more like a real Xenon lamp.
When you see some conversions they look really obvious and not so good on a normal headlight reflector with a really poor spread of the light, all i do is just adjust down a little on the manual adj to stop any dazzle. The treg passed its MOT a few weeks ago and that includes a spread test of the light and it passed no problem, so I may not be as holy as the vatican but I feel fairly happy.
I would definately fit them again if i had another treg (may be some time
with the values as they are but imho good value for money with an excellent result.

The yellow side bulbs I changed for LEDs i tried Blue phillips normal bulbs but was not so satisfied with the intensity of the light. The problem with the LEDs is they will need a resistor to fool the bulb warning which was a problem as the space inside the headlamp is a bit limited so it is difficult to fit.
I messed around with a few different LEDs PIAA and the ones from Hids4u i have in at the moment all with the same resistor issue, I didnt fix it until i fitted the Audi DRL Leds this cancelled the warning from the sidelights as they have internal resistors and are wired to the side lights ,however the HIDs4u LEDs look excellent really crisp white light and again not 100% but ok for the MOT

I reattach the pics with bigger writing sorry for the first attempt and one with the side lights at night I have not got any with the headlights maybe later tonight will have a go

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Side lights

Ken

·
400 Posts
for anyone who is interested here is a word from our beloved government on aftermarket HID's http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

im ok with the legal side, projectors are pretty good at keeping the beam where it should be and if it proves a problem to other road users i'll remove them. TBH i see a lot of boy racers with zenons around here in there saxos etc and they never seem to be a problem with blinding me. BMW zenons are a different matter they seem to be built to blind.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi

Sorry been back at work so only just got time for the pictures.
The Audi LEDs i got on Ebay from these guys in Germany http://cgi.ebay.de/NEU-AUDI-S6-V10-LED- ... m153.l1262 the service was good product came quickly and well packed.
I looked again tonight and I see they also have the V12 Q7 LEDs now but I dont know if it will fit looks a bit big for the TReg,

If you want to know more on how i fitted them its on this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5173 ,sorry no pics of the installation this time I would need to take the grills apart again but happy to give hints if anyone want to PM me.

Pic 1 &2 normal lights

Pic 3 plus fog lamps (now i think they look yellow :evil:

Pic 4 fog plus main beam they have the PIAA xenon upgraded bulbs not Hid)

Pic 5 Normal headlight illumination inc DRLs

Pic 6 Plus Main Beam

Ken

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Some additional pointers:

First, do get the WD40 out and give the metal bolts the headlamp removal tool fits onto a good squirt at least a couple of hours before you try to do anything. Yes, I know someone else mentioned this - but do it and give the WD40 time to work.

And make sure the lights are cool too! It can take quite a while for the light bulbs to cool down so be careful.

Fit the removal tool snugly on the bolt. Make sure you engage all it the way down and have a cloth to protect your hand on the "swing up" bar on the top of the tool as you will need to apply some pressure and the tool isn't very ergonomic!

The first part of the turn is very hard especially if the bolt mechanism has seized a bit. Just go steady here and patience will pay.

If you had put the light in you would have heard a very distinct CLICK as the lamp unit locked into place. So undoing it, you will hear the same distinct CLICK. Don't worry, you've not broken anything!

Getting the tool and the release bolt to actually turn is the hard bit.

You may need to apply some pressure which is why the cloth is handy to protect your hand.

While you are trying to turn the tool - check you are going in the right direction from the clearly visible arrows on the side of the light unit - firmly press the lamp unit IN towards the back of the car as this eases the pressure on the locking bar underneath the lamp unit that you will be rotating through 180 degrees from the back towards the front to expel the lamp unit from its housing.

When you hear that lovely CLICK, you are on your way. Carry on winding the tool slowly until you hear another CLICK.

The light unit will now have moved out towards the front of the car by about 1.5 inches. It won't come any further because there is a catch to release.

Now this is the tricky bit as you have to find the "brass" [actually its plated] clip that is on the radiator side of the light unit. It is 0.5 inches long and 0.25 inches wide with a slight indent in the top.

I have taken a photo of the clip you are looking for with the offside headlamp unit out of its housing in the wing. The screwdriver is on top of it!

2009 Headlight 001.jpg[/attachment:22p4jd1z]

When the light unit is in position it is very hard to see, so I recommend glasses if you need them [!] and a good torch. You cannot see this yet, but the clip is a triangle and you need to press down the tip nearest the front of the car to release the lamp unit.

To do this you need a very long thin screwdriver [9 inches] or a long piece of 1/4 inch steel rod.

Make sure you are holding onto the light unit now - if you stand in front of it your knees/thighs will stop it falling out.

As you press down on that little clip with one hand, you need to try to draw the light unit towards you with the other.

The unit is sitting in two plastic tracks underneath so it comes out very straight when you finally get the clip to go down and release. I did it straight away on one and faffed for ages with the second. Just be patient and take your time!! If you've started swearing, walk away and come back to it later!!!

Once the unit is released it is very obvious how the bulbs are replaced - H9 for main beam, H7 for dip [I wouldn't touch proper Xenons units as these have very very high voltages and are, in my opinion, best left to experts.] and W5W/501 for side lights.

While the lights are out, have good look at the mechanism so you understand it better.

Putting the lght unit back in, look underneath to align it with the two plastic slides it sits it and the slide on the radiator side that the clip pictured above slides in.

Now push it back until you hear the awkward little clip engage.

Then wind the unit back into the wing with the tool and make sure you hear the loud CLICK which tells you the unit is engaged and IMMEDIATELY STOP!! [so you don't overwind and break anything].

Check the lights are all working - winkers, side, dip and main.

Also check that the dash headlight adjuster switch is still moving the lights too as an adjuster device is inside each lamp unit.

The first light took 5-10 minutes to remove and change all the bulbs, whilst the second took 15 because of the clip faffin' about.

The side and H7's are dead easy

The H9's require patience! Lots of it!! To undo the H9's twist both near the side and the offisde bulb units anti-clockwise by 90 degrees - that is anti-clockwise when looking into the unit from on top with the headlamp glass facing you.

Also get some methylated spirits BEFORE you start so you clean the bulbs should you accidentally touch the glass on them. You'll find that if you have the meths, you won't touch any of the bulb glasses, but if you don't you will! And you can always drink the meths later this year when Nail Biter Brown finally bankrupts the lot of us!!

And finally, when you test them after installation and stand at the front of the car to admire your bright new lights but wonder why the hell both main beams aren't working despite the fact you've turned them on, yet when you get your wife to flash them for you they work and the "bulb out" warning light on the MDF thingummy isn't lit up, do wake up before you start looking for the fuse board and turn the main light switch from daytime running lights to nightime everything on!

Yes, I admit it, for a minute or two I thought I had b^ggered up the main beam circuit!!

So all in all, its dead easy . . . . . . or you pay your stealer to do it all for you for around 30 quid!!!

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Just had my nearside H7 fail and managed to replace it with the help of this thread - cheers

Halfrauds 277 bulb does the trick - 2 for ?15 (for when the off side one fails :roll: )

My hexagonal nut was surprisingly loose, I had some trouble getting the retaining clip to release - perserverance is the only solution.

The actual design is quite neat inasmuch as you can take the whole unit indoors with no worry about connectors.

the only other comment I have is that when putting the unit back in, it does not go very farbefore you have to use the hex driver to "pull" it the rest of the way.

Can't wait for the next one ......

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Shytot said:
Just had my nearside H7 fail and managed to replace it with the help of this thread - cheers

Halfrauds 277 bulb does the trick - 2 for ?15 (for when the off side one fails :roll: )

My hexagonal nut was surprisingly loose, I had some trouble getting the retaining clip to release - perserverance is the only solution.

The actual design is quite neat inasmuch as you can take the whole unit indoors with no worry about connectors.

the only other comment I have is that when putting the unit back in, it does not go very farbefore you have to use the hex driver to "pull" it the rest of the way.

Can't wait for the next one ......
Yes, I've just had exactly the same experience with the driver's side clip. Previously I did both lamps quite quickly, but for some reason, this time it was a problem. But, as you say, perservere.

My tip is that if you start to get ratty and/or swear, walk away and come back to it later. It then works first time and you're left wondering what the hell you did differently to the previous ten attempts!

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I hope this helps.

This is the driver's side unit.

You need a good spot light type torch [e.g. mini Maglite] to shine down in the area of this clip to be able to see it properly.

Note it's location relative to the grubby white headlight beam adjusters [at the rear of the unit] which are easy to see.

Please make sure you hold the light unit carefully at all times!

2009 Headlight 001.jpg[/attachment:151nljea]

·
121 Posts
Noobs, your a star,thanks.

It's currently -7 outside,so I'll leave it till after lunch,when hopefully it will warm up a bit.Maybe -1 or -2.

Marc.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
As mentioned in one of my posts, I found that using the hex driver with a long screwdriver on the retaining clip can help to drive the headlight unit out the last inch or so.

·
1,307 Posts
Hi all, i want to upgrade my H7 bulbs for brighter ones, i got the bulbs today, read my user manual first and then this thread just so i had as much information as possible on how to do the job.

well i started on the front off side, removed the main wiring plug (fiddly thing) pushed the lever towards the front of the car, then pushed on the rear of the light unit from the outside and the front from inside to twist them out of position and nothing!!!

obviously i don't want to break any stupid bits of plastic that will end up costing me a new headlight unit, so some help and advice gents please.

how much pressure is needed to unlock the headlight unit, have i missed anything elase out, do i need to unlock or remove anything else before trying to remove the light?????

thanks in advance for any help...

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Sounds like your light units might be different from earlier Tregs which this mostly refers to as we don't have to remove any plugs first.

·
1,307 Posts
well it's a done deal!!...

the bulbs are changed and it was first blood to Treg..

that was the hardest, easiest job i have done for ages if that makes sense??

they say a little knoweledge is dangerous, maybe so but brute force and ignorance will always win the day!!

so for those of you who want to change your facelifted Treg H7 bulbs here we go.

1. this is the hardest part, removing the main connector. at the rear is a tab which requires a good pull back. give the whole plug a push forward first, pull the tab and pull the whole lot to the rear and it's off.

2. unlock the white plastic lever.

3. with the heel of your hand give a sharp blow to the outside rear of the light unit, and it will twist in.

4. then gently pull the whole unit out.

5. twist the light bulb holder anti clockwise and remove.

6. you will need to lift the top and bottom tabs that hold the bulb to the holder then swap the bulbs over.

7. then as they say fitting is the reverse of removal.

good luck and watch your fingers and wrists...

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Even after reading these instructions and having a go at removing the headlights on my facelift Treg2 I found it an absolute PITA
Doing the first one I broke the clip on the connector plug, second one was easier but only after a lot of swearing and drawing blood

The tab on the clip has to be pushed in as per the photo not back (which is what I did and broke the tab!) The rest is a piece of p*ss once you get the clip off.

White lever needs to be pushed towards the front of the car to remove headlight. This lever stops a tab from moving which holds the headlight in. Feel for it with your hand once you have pushed the white lever out the way.

Give the headlight a tap with your hand on the side and then rotate slightly and pull forward to remove.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Here's a video with a GIRL taking the headlight unit out almost as quick as I can!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts