Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If I decide to buy today, I will have a 150 mile drive back and was thinking of adding Redex Diesel Treatment Fuel Additive? Is this okay or can you recommend something else?

Thanks

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,927 Posts
Hi,

If I decide to buy today, I will have a 150 mile drive back and was thinking of adding Redex Diesel Treatment Fuel Additive? Is this okay or can you recommend something else?

Thanks
I use Millers Ecomax Power - dosed at 1ml/litre of fuel added after most fuel stops.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Add some 2 stroke oil, sounds daft but google search 2 stroke oil in TDI and make your own mind up, there is a noticeable difference.

J

·
Super Moderator
5,225 Posts
Millers for me, but the question I ask is why and what are you expecting from the additive?

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
Which a good quality fuel like Shell, BP, Esso or Texaco will do anyway.

Did you buy the car?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've only added reddex once to a car, some years ago to a 2.2 Peugeot HDI. It was in the garage within a week for a sticking wastegate. Never used any additive since, just good fuel.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am a sceptic when it comes to fuel claims but am sold on the v power. I don't usually use it, but a few months ago the car was starting to sound a little rough. There was a definite clatter starting to come through even when warm. Noticeable at tick-over and when pulling off until revs reached around 1300.

Filled up with v power rather than standard shell/bp and within 30 miles the clatter was no more.

Since then, I use vpower every 3rd fill and its smooth as a smooth thing.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
I only use premium fuel every fill and have done for years now

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dad and I use 2so ( 2 stroke oil) religiously.

Never had an issue and engine is less clattery.

From the engines I have had to open from overheating (radiator crack etc) I have found that using 2so at 1:200 ratio keep s carbon deposits at bay.

I use a JASO FC spec though which is a low ash specification designed to lube and remove carbon deposits whilst having itself a clean burn.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
With a car on a dyno and being mapped for optimum power there was no difference between v power and Morrisons finest.

Adding 2 stroke oil to diesel is well reported on the net to have very positive outcomes and there's a couple of scientific studies to support it.

V power is in your heads, if you get the warm fuzzy feeling from using keep on going, the extra you pay per litre is clearly worth every penny

J

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
With a car on a dyno and being mapped for optimum power there was no difference between v power and Morrisons finest.

Adding 2 stroke oil to diesel is well reported on the net to have very positive outcomes and there's a couple of scientific studies to support it.

V power is in your heads, if you get the warm fuzzy feeling from using keep on going, the extra you pay per litre is clearly worth every penny

J
I owned a used Boxster for 4 years and after running it for a few months, I switched to Shell V-Power and got an extra 2-3 mpg for over 3 1/2 years.

Clearly a different engine in the Treg but the cleaning properties of the additives alone do it for me and yes, you can happily live on supermarket beans, but it's nice to shop at M&S or Waitrose

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
I get 2-4 mpg more out of V-power depending on the car and that's measured correctly, not with car computers!

My very unmechanical wife can tell me pretty quickly if the chauffeuse has put cheapo petrol rather the V-power in her car for convenience!

And the mowers run more smoothly too when I give the gardeners a day off - no white finger caused by the strimmer.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I get 2-4 mpg more out of V-power depending on the car and that's measured correctly, not with car computers!

My very unmechanical wife can tell me pretty quickly if the chauffeuse has put cheapo petrol rather the V-power in her car for convenience!

And the mowers run more smoothly too when I give the gardeners a day off - no white finger caused by the trimmer
And it could be your driving style etc that has changed in all cases. Even at 3 mph it's not cost effective. The figures in the rolling road prove there are no gains.

J

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
Funny how those of us enjoying V-Power get knocking . . .

You carry on cheapskating!

·
Registered
2016 3.0 tdi R Line. Canyon grey/ black. Every option except heated rear seats and engine pre heat.
20 Posts
Apologies if this has been done to death but still relatively new to the Treg. I have a quantity of Millers fuel additive in the garage which I added to the tank of my previous 2005 Landcruiser. I had assumed that the engine on the Treg ( 2016 r line 262) would be too sophisticated for fuel additive ( esp the Cetane ingredient). . But a quick search suggests some of you are using it instead of premium diesel. But not sure if that’s only on the older engines. So as I have it , any reason not to use it and if so how much in a 100l tankful? More generally are many of you using it? Lots of Landcruiser owners were converts. Thanks

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,927 Posts
100 ml for a 100 litre full tank - the Cetane improver is minute and diesels don't respond to Cetane increases in the same way that petrols respond to octane increases - I'd suggest using it every other tankful.

·
Registered
2016 3.0 tdi R Line. Canyon grey/ black. Every option except heated rear seats and engine pre heat.
20 Posts
Thanks for this. I’ll give it a go.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts