Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm going to ready my Treg for potentially being axle deep and getting winch/towed by another vehicle. I've read with interest the article here but am wondering if anyone has any experience of using the two towing points in tandem with a strop? Reason I'm asking is to see if there have been any issues with the eye if towing at say 45 degrees off centre in either direction?

Apparently the Westfalia detachable towbar I have isn't suitable given the extra 70% or so load that can be placed on towing the Treg out of deep mud etc. From the linked article again, there should be enough headroom in the eyes and associated bolts onto subframe etc that would mean I don't need to look into attaching recovery points etc elsewhere.

Thoughts appreciated. :)

Cheers...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, you're pretty much there with the strop. My wife wouldn't appreciate going off the tarred road, even less knee deep in brown water! The testing link that's in there will I suspect rely on straight pull but what I'm wondering on is the damage that may be caused when towing me out at an angle and how the towing eyes will cope.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been thinking about this myself as I use the Treg for pulling and pushing stuff about.

I have the OEM factory tow bar and would say it looks just as strong, if not stronger than the original bumper. The weak link should still be the towing eye. If you use a slightly longer strop then the load would at a be shallower angle.

Should not be a problem especially if you make sure the towing eyes are oriented correctly (as he did mention in that write up)

I have 2x OEM Touareg towing eyes and use them with a strop and pulley, no problems so far.
That's good to know - thanks. :) Think I just need to order up another three towing eyes so when I am 'playing' the strops are already hooked on. You know... Just in case. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts