Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

Got me a new rear bumper trim, so after seeing the Vid Noobs posted about removing the bumper for towbar installation I figured 10 minute job, undo some torx screws, bish bash bosh, job done.

But looks like another case of whatever I touch turning to crap.

If anyone has any clue how I can sort the following out I'd apprecaite it. If you take a look at where the rear trim is screwed underneath by 4 torx screws, you'll feel on the other side of the trim there's some bodywork and a 'nubbin'. The Torx screws screw into these 'nubbins', like bolts, but they're not bolts, kinda attached stubby spindles.

To my joy I undid the two left screws without a problem... the two on the right tho... the 'nubbins' have dislodged from the bodywork so are spinning with the screw, and with the limited space behind this spot I can't get pliers in to grip tightly enough to the spinning 'nubbins'

Does anyone have a clue of how I can grip these things, as they're perfectly round and I'm struggling for purchase... Got some nice scraped knuckles tho...

I'm thinking some long nosed mole grips..? http://www.fine-tools.co.uk/Merchant2/m ... =PP-GM6LNA But they need to be small enough to fit between the bodywork and bumper...

But any other ideas would be a great help - cos right now it's FUBAR.

Pics and our own how to will follow of the job when I get this remedied.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I stuck my head under the back of the car to confim my recollection since I fitted a towbar....
You might want to consider bent nose pliers such as these:

http://www.toolbank.com/p/D6504/STA084008

I would apply copious amounts of WD40 over a few days too first to reduce the friction when you are trying to unscrew whilst clamping the insert.
You could just drill them out and replace - they wont be too expensive, even for VW!

Copaslip them when going back in!

Alasdair

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Al,

Glad I wasn't talking to myself, and someone else has been thru this... Will try some bent nosed pliers or long nosed mole grips, bluudy frustrating when things don't go to plan.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Hipflyguy said:
...., bluudy frustrating when things don't go to plan.
After seeing Nooby's video, I too thought "10 minute job, no problems"

I have held off because what has happened with you is exactly what would have happened to me

I'm interested to see the result of your labours.

I've got an issue with the black strip (is that the trim?) along the top of the bumper - it looks like the bumper it has been nudged / compressed by someone and the strip has popped up @ 1 side.

Good luck with the job and any pics would be nice

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
I had a look underneath mine, it looks like you could get a pair of locking pliers to grip the nubbin (or captive nut
) and lie them flat on the ledge.

It also looks like any sort of "normal" pliers will not have the grip ?

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried lots of normal pliers and you're right, grip just isn't there, can't apply emough pressure on the handles to grip the nubbins, the shelf behind the bumper is only 4 inches max.

Away at the moment so will be trying the long nosed mole grips when back, will let you know SS.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
gbrown said:
Hipfly, dont you mean 'Captive nuts' and not your term 'nubbins'?? where the hell that came from
Isn't a nubbins that thing on the end of a tit?

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nubbin - Superfluous nipple

Or could mean something else entirely, if you check the urban Dictionary:
"Lisa Riley's pleasure nubbin is the size of a plum." - Funny as F', the Internet rules.

Was the only way I could describe it without pics, or knowledge, since I couldn't help but notice, that I'm considerably more stupid than yow.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
gbrown said:
Hipfly, dont you mean 'Captive nuts' and not your term 'nubbins'?? where the hell that came from
Unless I'm mistaken, the term nut would apply to a nubbin with a thread and a hexagonal head thus allowing you to use a spanner or suchlike to grip it.

In this instance, there is no hexagonal head (it is most probably round) so the term 'Captive nubbins' may be most appropriate - HTH

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Shytot][quote name= said:
Hipfly' date=' dont you mean 'Captive nuts' and not your term 'nubbins'?? where the hell that came from[/quote']

Unless I'm mistaken, the term nut would apply to a nubbin with a thread and a hexagonal head thus allowing you to use a spanner or suchlike to grip it.

In this instance, there is no hexagonal head (it is most probably round) so the term 'Captive nubbins' may be most appropriate - HTH
If it was "captive" it wouldn't turn, so isn't this, then, an "escaped" nubbin?

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
noobytoogy][quote name= said:
gbrown' said:
Hipfly' date=' dont you mean 'Captive nuts' and not your term 'nubbins'?? where the hell that came from[/quote']

If it was "captive" it wouldn't turn, so isn't this, then, an "escaped" nubbin?
I think it is still being held by the screws .....

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Hipflyguy - did you ever get the bumper removed?

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well reminded SS...!

I keep having to shuffle the new part around in the garage to stop it getting scratched, Ill be on it in about a week, as I'm off for most of December (thankfully with a new job at the end of it) - I plan to have plenty of pics of the install, scraped knuckles and frozen fingers, who knows, I may even make my first interesting thread

I still am not looking forward to getting at those captive 'nubbins' tho, got bent nosed pliers, mini mole grip and 450 litres of WD-40 at the ready.

Watch this space (and sorry, been a manic few months in HFG-land)

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Hipflyguy said:
Well reminded SS...!

I keep having to shuffle the new part around in the garage to stop it getting scratched, Ill be on it in about a week, as I'm off for most of December (thankfully with a new job at the end of it) - I plan to have plenty of pics of the install, scraped knuckles and frozen fingers, who knows, I may even make my first interesting thread

I still am not looking forward to getting at those captive 'nubbins' tho, got bent nosed pliers, mini mole grip and 450 litres of WD-40 at the ready.

Watch this space (and sorry, been a manic few months in HFG-land)
No pressure mate - just interested to see how you get on ..... especially with your nubbins :wink:

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
And good luck with the new job too! Anywhere interesting?

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
noobytoogy said:
And good luck with the new job too! Anywhere interesting?
Thanks Noobs, I was schmokin' da pancake this week, (how cool is Schiophol airport..!) and lots more visits expected, and even sunnier climes in Jan - it seems some clouds do have silver linings - thank god, or I'd have been living on bread and iffit come new year.

But when, oh when will the government realise they need to support UK businesses with tax rebates, so all jobs aren't off-shored for cheap labour and manufacturing...

Oh my God Noobs...! You've got me going off topic on my own topic..! Damn you salazar...!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Brown - and Osborne too if he gets in - seem to think we have bottomless pockets they can keep plundering.

Sorry, but not mine no more! I reckon I've paid enough to staff a small hospital over the years and the more they take the more they waste it, so i'm going to help them with the wastage by not donating anymore post April 6 2009. It will be ta-ta GB in more ways than one!

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
HFG - I managed to take my rear bumper off yesterday (even better I could get it back on!).

I had one broken nubbin and managed to use a standard pair of mole grips with straight jaws to get enough grip (at a slight angle)to remove and replace the screw / stud.

The rest of the job was pretty easy - to get the bumper off you just need to nudge the parts nearest the wheel towards the back and they pop out of the locator.

A few things to watch out for:

The light fitting has a little locating ball that needs gentle levering from the wingside around about the reversing light position.
Have something soft for the bumper to "fall" onto - avoid damaging parking sensors.
The connecting cable on the nearside is a little tight - but the wires are long enough that you do not need to disconnect if you don't need to.
Wear some rubber gloves - there is a lot of powdered cack in them there arches.
The torx screws in the wheel arch are a little tricky to put back in - you may need to jiggle things a little.

I managed to check that all of my parking sensors were connected properly and that they are all the same as those used on the front - part number for the parking sensor for T1's is 3D0998275 (made by Bosch in Spain).

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Shyt, you are a better man than me...

This is still on my to do list, thanks for the heads up. 'Fortunately' no parking sensors for me to worry about damaging. Weather was too good not to get out and about.

What did you do with the broken nubbin..? re-use it? and tighten again with the moleys?

Oh, and how did you fix the dink you had in the top plastic..? Just pop back out?

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Shyt, you are a better man than me...

This is still on my to do list, thanks for the heads up. 'Fortunately' no parking sensors for me to worry about damaging. Weather was too good not to get out and about.

What did you do with the broken nubbin..? re-use it? and tighten again with the moleys?

Oh, and how did you fix the dink you had in the top plastic..? Just pop back out?
I reused the nubbin with the grips - I guess a bit of super glue would be worth trying but for me it was pretty easy to tighten it up again. I also reckon a washer and a nut would work and give you a better grip with a small spanner for removal and refitting- maybe next weekend

The black plastic strip has ~6 retainers on the back you can un-pop them and then slide the strip out. I straightened it as best I could, cleaned up the bit it sits on and then slid it back in. It looks better and I could probably tinker a bit more.

As for the parking sensors - well now I might be able to fit a camera in the rear for any future wiggle woggle events

1 - 20 of 21 Posts