Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nearly 3 year old 2.5 which is just returning from some extensive warranty work (3 days), started by the ESP warning light not going off.
The garage has done a vehicle check and has advised me I need the rear brake pads replacing at an estimate of ?450 :!:
The car has done 25K miles with no offroading. Does this seem reasonable wear and what about the cost
:
Also is it easy to inspect the pads yourself
:

·
656 Posts
I think it is unreasonable for pads to need changing after only 25K, but as many have posted on here, it depends how you drive, some have had theirs replaced after less miles.

You can inspect the pad wear without taking the wheels off. Just look through the alloys at the amount of 'meat' left on the pad.
Also, if the brake wear warning sensor hasn't lit up on the dash board, then you don't need to change them....quite simple really.
The 'Stealers' seam to advise changing the pads if they are even the slightest way past half worn.....well, for you, that would meen about another 20K of wear left in the current pads.

I say leave the pad sensors tell you when the pads need changing.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
I agree with Tregger Happy - top advice

My Stealer tries the same thing every time I take my car in - and it's only started happening since the credit crunch hit

I reckon they are trying it on with brake replacement because they know a lot of people don't have the first clue how thick a worn pad is. Also, they will get hard cash on the day of the work, rather than having to wait for VW's finance department to pay for warrenty work.

Like I said to my Stealer last time - the Touareg has a brake pad warning system, and from the first point the orange light shows on the dash, there is about 1k miles left which gives me planty of time to shop around for a cheaper quote

And ?450 is WAY over the odds

Fancy naming and shaming the Stealer?

And the ESP Problem? If its anything like mine, it was because my wife spilled coffee on the centre console, making the button stick

·
27 Posts
Hi,
Just replaced mine on saturday (posted on how to guides topic)... at 20000 miles, cost me ?45 inc vat, took about 30 mins to change..... very easy...

Stan..

·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the car back. Recall work done includes:
replaced tie rods
replaced anti roll bar links
wheel alignment (oh no :shock: )
Suggesting all pads are down to 10mm (8mm usable), but front OK, rear pads need replacing with new discs and handbrake shoes.
Will have to have a look.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
cooperman said:
Stealer - JCT 600 Bradford
Where I go........

Was it Wayne ('Service Manager') who called, by any chance?

Past few times I've taken the car in, I've been getting a call about 11:30 about the brakes, tyres, anything after their 'Comprehensive' vehicle check!

Hmmmmm

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Cooperman - Alba Tyres, Geldard Road, Leeds.

Talk to Anthony

Tell him he did my brakes for ?78 inc VAT about 6 months ago - see if he can come close - he usually grumbles a bit then agrees :wink:

Good for tyre prices too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts