Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with the rear OS brake binding and overheating. It was stinking when I got home the other day. Car is a 57 plate, 23K miles. The pads look ok for thickness, but something is definately binding in there.

Would I be covered by VW Assist for this if I called them out? I am reluctant to drive it 20 miles to the dealer and risk more damage.

Anyones thoughts appreciated.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
You need that checked asap and ensure that the handbrake is also looked examined.

If you can get VW Assist out for a headlight bulb, you can certainly get them out for your brakes seizing up. Needs freeing up or trailored to the dealer

Cass

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I phoned the number and the girl took my details before telling me that my car didn't exist :!:
She said my number plate was not on the DVLA system despite the fact I had the V5 in my hand. Anyway the RAC were at my door inside 45 mins. He found the rear O/S caliper piston a bit sticky and freed it off. It's not 100% and I'm going to see how it is over the next couple of days so he has given me a report to give the dealer suggesting they replace the caliper. It will be unlikely they'll agree to that without trying to fix it first themselves but we'll see. The guy was a nice lad and lives just a few miles from me. What he told me to expect from the dealer was not very encouraging at all. When he told me what they do (or should I say don't do) during a service it was an eye opener. He also insisted that it was not necessary to have VW do all the servicing to maintain the warrenty, as long as you use VW parts and a trained mechanic they have to stand good. MMMmmm, I'd like tothink that would be true.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I'd get VW Assist sorted asap just in case.

Yes, you can maintain the warranty by stepping outside the VW network and using VW parts, etc, but from what others have posted, VW probably won't look at any goodwill claims if you do.

·
1,307 Posts
something like this shouldn't really be happening on such a new car. They have already enjoyed the benefit of your hard earned cash, make them actually do something for it now by at least pretending to be interested!!! and use the warranty while you can.

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
I bought my Treg new in May and went off to France for 2 weeks in July/Aug. Having had a previous difference of opinion with VW Assist over my last car (Golf GTI), I rang up to confirm that I was covered about 2 weeks before I was due to travel as I hadn't (and still haven't) received any written confirmation.

The dealer blamed the Admin and VW Assist, VW Assist blamed the dealer

Anyway, got it sorted and the girl from VW Assist was very helpfull and even gave me a dedicated number to ring in France (previously posted) in case I had any problems. As with all things these days, you have to double check. IMHO, there is no special Luxury Car experience from VW with the Treg. Just got to keep them all on their toes to make sure they get things right.

Still a great car though

Cass

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now then, what a turn up for the books it seems. Took the car in to the stealers today to have the rear offside brake checked under warranty. When they phoned to say it was ready they confirmed a dodgy caliper piston and have replaced the caliper. They also found the inside pad was cracked and the disc worn. They have acknowledged that this is secondary damage and replaced rear discs and pads on both wheels, all without question. I am pleasantly surprised as I had doubted them.

I also asked them to check out the heated mirrors as they didn't appear to be working and they have replaced both sides

And finally they replaced an operating (mechnical) cable on the N/S dash vent control selector which wasn't working correctly.

Now all I have to do is go a collect it in the morning. I dropped the car off at 07:30 and never got a call until 17:30 to say it was ready to collect. Unfortunately they closed at 18:00 and I live 20 miles away diagonally across the city so no chance of getting there for it tonight. Fingers crossed it's all well in the morning.

·
1,307 Posts
sounds like a job well done and a garage that actually does what it's supposed to do!!!

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Collected this morning and all appears well. Apart from a little criticism for poor communication I can't fault the job they have done.

Is this really the same dealer I bought the car from??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts