Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting this random symbol on the DIS display when I start the car, I had a look in the manual and can't find it. Does anyone know what it is? It looks like a towbar to me!! The car has a detachable towbar which looks like a factory fit as it has a place in the spare wheel well when not in use.

also I have scanned the car with vag-com and get the Following error.

Under address 17 & 19 fault 01517 - control module for trailer / towing sensor (j345) 004 - no signal / communication..

The codes won't clear

Thanks

Adam

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Definately a towbar - the control module should sense when a trailer is fitted, as will the cars alarm system when trailer is connected. Might well be a control module fault if you can't clear the issue with VAG-COm. Dealer may well be the way to go if you can't get a definitive answer. I'd try disconnecting the towbar electrics and reconnecting them first.

Cass

·
48 Posts
Hi.
Have you tried dropping the removable towbar from its mount, starting the car and then refitting the towbar back in place. There is a small possibility that the tow bar sensor unit is sending an signal to the module saying the towbar is not inserted, where as in reality it is. I have had this issue with 2 R5s when the towbar was left inserted semi permanently. However if it continues to presnt on the display, I would suggest a visit to the dealer and have the issue resolved.
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts