Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that there is some one out there that can help. I have a 04 2.5TDI, that appears to be allowing water in at high level. Initially, whilst in warranty, water appeared at the upper rear pillars and dripped onto the boot cover(parcel tray!). VW dealer replaced a seal around the rear hatch claiming it was a known problem when the hatch was opened, although it was my belief that water was present without opening the boot or hatch. The leak continued and the car was put into the approved body shop on around five separate occasions, a week each time. They found one leak, that was too low for it to be at the source of my problem. In summary, the problem was never fixed and after repeated correspondence, i have been advised that the car is out of warranty and VW will not support any further claim. My argument is that they never fixed the original problem and i am obviously concerned where else this water is reaching and the damage that it may be causing. Due to the height at which the water appears and the fact that the hatch has been left closed to prove the point, gives me the impression that the water is getting in at the roof rails (which have been used for a cycle rack) and is running about above the liner and appearing at the rear upper pillars/roof lining interface. Has any body had a similar experience or can offer any advice on how to progress this with VW. Many thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
As mentioned there is a known issue with water dripping in when opening the hatch - but as you say, thats been covered...

Given you still have same problem I find it very hard to believe that a dealer would take the "its out of warranty" line, let alone VW themselves....but maybe I've been spoilt by a good dealer....

Assuming you have taken this up with the dealer principal? I would then be going to the next level - is dealer part of a group?

VW luxury support would be a good idea, but I'm really not sure if it still exists......will have to go and have a look...

If it doesnt then its search for a named management person within VW - this is where the internet is your friend - and then a detailed complaint, in writing, personally addressed, with a copy to your dealer...if you still have no joy then trading standards/Which?/What Car? would be next on my list...

hth

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, i got to the luxury car support guy, who offered a ?200 good will towards finding the problem, you can imagine how far that would go!! never mind any future problems that may happen as a result of water being in the wrong locations. I think it will be trading standards /Which etc as you suggest. However, any good advice would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

G

·
Phil,

Just a thought. Is there any possibility that the water is coming from a break/leak in the pipework to the rear screen washer? I had this in a BMW X-series and water appeared on the pull out load cover whenever I used the rear screen washer. Which tended to be after rain so leading to wrong diagnosis initially.

Grasping at straws, I know, but it might just save your sanity.

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Phil,

I have suffered a similar leak running down the 'c' posts in the rear of the car, and onto the load cover. The cause of this was wiring that had been routed along the roof for after market rear parking sensors. I believe there are plastic covers around the rear tailgate hinges and these had been dislodged during installation allowing water to run down the tailgate when open onto the hinges and into the car. I did also experience this ingress if I used a car wash, as water would be forced into the top of the tailgate. It didnt take the technician long to lower the rear of the roof lining and re-seal the covers. I hope this will be of some use.

Monty

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am confident its not the washer tube but that was the first thing the dealer suggested two years ago which was quickly discounted. The black caps, if they are the external ones near the hinge area, is a possibility but i dont think it is as it gets in especially easy when the car is parked on a reasonable up hill slope. There is also two kidney shaped plastic panels at the rear inner roof, behind the liner, which were originally found to have perished seals, these were re-sealed with 'tar' like mastic, repairer said it would be a better solution than replacing the plastic panels which have a seal running around their perimeter, 'as they would only fail again' they said. But obviosly there should be little or no water in that area so they should not have perished in the first place. This implies that the water is getting in higher than this. I will have a go directing at the upper hinge area just to rule out that point and thankyou again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts