Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just experienced the failure of the centre bearing on the main propshaft of my 04 V10. I live in Spain and am used to haphazard spares availability but it seems that only the whole unit can be ontained from VW and none are available in Europe. I repeat NONE.

When I asked if the bearing could be replaced I was told unequivocably that this is impossible due to "balancing problems". I located a company in Alicante who have successfully repaired the shaft and it works perfectly. ?500 instead of ?1200.

My advice...repair it. Again VW are either price gouging on spares or don't know what they are doing. Apparently, according to my research on this site, these bearings fail at 60 to 70K miles so this is an ongoing issue.

JH

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Well done.

I've had a new propshaft as have others on here, but I know a couple of people have gone your route successfully by having new bearings pressed on at a lot lower cost.

My propshaft was covered under warranty so the fact I had a new shaft next day paid for by someone else was fine by me!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Warranty Direct.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Looks like it!

If your prop is knackered, omeone on here has done the fix with a firm in the Midlands. Do a search if you need to find out who.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Yeah, yeah, whatever.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
bnl]best leave it to the likes of these Nooby. [URL= said:
http://www.drivelink.com/Drivelink_profile.cfm[/URL]
If you'd read the posts, I left it to VW and Warranty Direct for a nice new VW prop.

·
27 Posts
Just wondered.... had mine done some time ago, under warranty.
They fitted a new propshaft.
Thought there must be more to it than just fitting that part..

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Two people have now pressed on a new bearing successfully from what they've reported so, yes, it does look like it is just that bearing.

Mine failed after I went wading - the muck and grunge it picked up in the bearing was deemed the last straw by the fitter who inspected it. But quite a few have gone aeround the 60-70K mark and the symptons are always the same - a knocking of varying severity [mine was severe and I stopped immediately whilst others have carried on driving] felt under/through the centre front armrest which indicates it is only that bearing that fails.

Others such as bnl [who has 22 years of experience, no less, in the motor trade] may know better.

G

·
noobytoogy said:
Two people have now pressed on a new bearing successfully from what they've reported so, yes, it does look like it is just that bearing.

Mine failed after I went wading - the muck and grunge it picked up in the bearing was deemed the last straw by the fitter who inspected it. But quite a few have gone aeround the 60-70K mark and the symptons are always the same - a knocking of varying severity [mine was severe and I stopped immediately whilst others have carried on driving] felt under/through the centre front armrest which indicates it is only that bearing that fails.

Others such as bnl [who has 22 years of experience, no less, in the motor trade] may know better.
Nooby, with my superior and vast knowledge of motor vehicle's i'd challenge anything you say,
esp as you cant even remove rust and dust and fit a set a simple set of Brake Discs.
Its with my combined 22 + years in the trade, and a degree and an HNC in Engineering i KNOW, that you cant just press that bearing on...... Take it from me buddy ya nah Nowt !!
As you said in your ghastly post on not being able to fit a set of Brake discs,.....Leave it to the Professionals and not keyboard pusher like yourself.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
bnl said:
Nooby, with my superior and vast knowledge of motor vehicle's i'd challenge anything you say.
Yes, well please don't, bnl.

This is a friendly forum - we don't "challenge" each other. Banter is fine but needle is not. We really do appreciate the fact that you have a lot of experience and it is so welcome to have someone with your knowledge. But please try to keep it positive and friendly. You've already made a great contribution to the forum IMHO, so I'd like to see more of that.

Chris

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Update 3 September 2009:

A VERY helpful guy on www.clubtouareg.com has PM'd me with the following for anyone who wants to repair their existing propshaft rather than buy a new one:

"The web site you need is.www.firowpropshafts.co.uk , and the chap's name is Mark Rowley."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts