Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Chairman
Joined
·
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post this separately under its own propshaft heading.

If you are suddenly aware of a knocking or vibration coming up through the front armrest, or through your seat, or both, and which seems to be emanating from under the centre of the car, and it gets worse as you accelerate, then I recommend you stop somewhere safe immediately.

It is highly likely your prop shaft has failed. Mine did last week at 62K and I am now aware of others with failures both here in the UK and in the US at around the same mileage.

Do not drive you car, even slowly. The vibration you can feel is seriously affecting the final drive shaft in the gearbox and can cause the box to fail as another Tregger on here discovered. So an unwelcome but manageable ?950 bill could very rapidly become ?5,500!

I strongly recommend you get your car recovered by the AA/RAC/whoever to your VW dealer or specialist. Mine was only 10 miles away when the prop failed but there was no way I would drive car there, not even very slowly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Mine was on the way out for a good few hundred miles then we decided it was F U CKED then as you say, but only ?600 fitted by another garage

 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buster said:
Mine was on the way out for a good few hundred miles then we decided it was F U CKED then as you say, but only ?600 fitted by another garage

Interesting you only paid ?600 - that was just the shaft ex VAT for me or, rather, Warranty Direct! I wonder if the parts have gone up a lot due to the fall of the ? against the Euro?

Given the strain an out of balance prop is putting on the rest of the drive train, I'd still recommend folk not to drive it once they're aware of the problem, though. Mine gave no warning at all - it just went from smooth, silent running to thump, thump, thump within 2 miles of starting a journey.
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ref servicing I agree. My cars visit the garage at least once a year if not twice as there's nothing like a good mechanic having a poke around underneath while he's draining the oil.

And I've never understood why anyone wouldn't get their brakes checked at least once a year, for example.

Unfortunately, one of the downsides of buying a 5 year old car that's been on long-life servicing is that it has only had someone look underneath twice in that time, apart from the two MOT tests, and that's the reason I had the car serviced when I bought it and moved away from the long life regime, especially as I do short runs and a low annual mileage.
 
G

·
Was it the rear propshaft that failed?
Was it a universal joint failure?
If so, was the failure due to lack of lubrication and how would you lubricate it anyway?

I guess the best precaution is the MoT test when the tester probably checks the joints for play. Although there's plenty of room to reach underneath a Treg and check for oneself................if forewarned of the problem.......thank you!

Cheers, Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
The is no servicible items on the bit which goes

It is enclosed by a load of plastic covers, mine was in the VW garage 2 times before I had my own little garage take it to pieces

For those who went to the R50 day I was in my little old Fiesta as the prop was on back order for three weeks

I am still waiting for the rubber mount thing which failed to refurb this one and pass on to some one as this is the only bit that goes on them

Mine had done a 75k when it started then pos another 2k playing with the problem
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know, this is a non serviceable item.

Talking to the mechanic, there was no immediately obvious reason for failure but I did wonder if it could have been the last deep water wade ten days or so beforehand that finished it off as muck/grunge could have got washed into the bearing.

What is interesting is the previous post reporting another failure at 74K. There does seem to be a failure pattern at around the 60 to 70K mark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
When mine went, is was the rubber outer that gave up not the bearing.

The prop can be stripped and the new rubber with bearing re-pressed onto it but at the time the bearing was on back order too.
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's useful info re refurbing the propshaft.

The trouble today is many "mechanics" are actually just fitters of new parts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts


My prop sounds like it failed earlier tonight, getting a thumping/knocking from the armrest...pulled away from some traffic lights thought i'd gone over a short section of bumpy tarmac...that was the first indication something had gone wrong.

What a b4stard!!! least i've got warranty Direct cover and VW Crewe are in dialog with them at the moment over a MFD fault on the gear indicator, they seem to be comunicating quiet well.

Planned a day trip to the beach with the kids monday, hate to let them down


Let you know how i get on.

Jim
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
My prop shaft went about 1000 mls ago... ( 29.000 on clock ), was pulling quickly away from roundabout suddenly a loud banging noise under centre armrest. Called vw assist they looked under my treg, told me that the rubber bit on the bearing had ripped/had failed.
They got me a hire car ( vw passat ) within the hour and told me it would be o.k to drive it slowly to the stealers ( Vw Warrington ) about 1mile away. To be honest, when driven slow it felt like normal.
Dropped it off and It was looked at the same day, and replacement part fitted the next day......
When i picked it up they told me the whole shaft had been replaced.
While it was in, they cleaned and hoovered it, it was sparkling... Dont think that it should of failed at such a low milage, but was totally satisfied by the service recieved at vw warrington..

Stan....
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
20,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Towrag

Strongly suggest you do not drive the car at all and get it recovered by the AA or whoever to the garage on Tuesday. Just tell them the prop has failed and they'll send the recovery truck first time.

The gearbox really is at risk if you drive any further.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
886 Posts
Towrag said:


My prop sounds like it failed earlier tonight, getting a thumping/knocking from the armrest...pulled away from some traffic lights thought i'd gone over a short section of bumpy tarmac...that was the first indication something had gone wrong.

What a b4stard!!! least i've got warranty Direct cover and VW Crewe are in dialog with them at the moment over a MFD fault on the gear indicator, they seem to be comunicating quiet well.

Planned a day trip to the beach with the kids monday, hate to let them down


Let you know how i get on.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I' m confused


If you have a 58 reg altitude why do you have a warranty direct policy?

Am I missing something here or is it just a " night shift " moment.

Cheers

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Sorry for the confusion chaps.

i changed my sig because i thought i was getting a new car last week but impending divorce has stopped all that ( 'wife' wants ?300k off me, getting the new treg was going to be a BIG FCUK YOUto her, but my accountants/solicitors have told me to behave :roll:

Forgot to change sig back to original ( done now )

More on the propshaft, limped it home about a mile and a half, currently waiting for VW crewe to open so i can ring them and book it in, going to get it recovered from home to dealers tuesday morning.

Jim
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
886 Posts
Towrag said:
Sorry for the confusion chaps.

i changed my sig because i thought i was getting a new car last week but impending divorce has stopped all that ( 'wife' wants ?300k off me, getting the new treg was going to be a BIG **** YOUto her, but my accountants/solicitors have told me to behave :roll:

Forgot to change sig back to original ( done now )

More on the propshaft, limped it home about a mile and a half, currently waiting for VW crewe to open so i can ring them and book it in, going to get it recovered from home to dealers tuesday morning.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Ahhhh So


Sorry to hear about the divorce!

And the propshaft!

Hope both get sorted to your satisfaction.

Cheers

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
tadpole said:
Towrag said:
Sorry for the confusion chaps.

i changed my sig because i thought i was getting a new car last week but impending divorce has stopped all that ( 'wife' wants ?300k off me, getting the new treg was going to be a BIG **** YOUto her, but my accountants/solicitors have told me to behave :roll:

Forgot to change sig back to original ( done now )

More on the propshaft, limped it home about a mile and a half, currently waiting for VW crewe to open so i can ring them and book it in, going to get it recovered from home to dealers tuesday morning.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Ahhhh So


Sorry to hear about the divorce!

And the propshaft!

Hope both get sorted to your satisfaction.

Cheers

Tom
Tom

Thanks mate, just trying to keep myself in check at the moment.

Bad times ahead


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Update

Treg's back with a new propshaft, the rubber bush had failed causing damage to the prop itself.

Warranty direct preformed ok, total bill including fixing the gear indicator display was ?1200, warranty direct will
pay 75%.

Beware if you have a warranty direct policy, YOU have to pay the garage directly and claim back from WD, this was
something I didn't know and I can see it could trip up some people.

Prop must have been knackered for a while because since getting her back on Tuesday I'm managing to average 32 mpg up from 27!! Strange but true, haven't changed my driving style, still adopt a Christian motoring policy


Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
Jim,
sorry to hear about all your problems. I know how you're feeling. My best mate just got stung for a ?250,000 house, and half his savings.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
749 Posts
noobytoogy said:
That's useful info re refurbing the propshaft.

The trouble today is many "mechanics" are actually just fitters of new parts!
Its like that most places nowadays Nooby, i fix servers and its very much a parts swapping job now, in the old days we used to do a lot more hands on and technical diagnosis.

A monkey can do my job now, prob why they pay the new guys peanuts !!
 

·
Member
Joined
·
74 Posts
Well mine suddenly started the knocking (on acceleration) this evening! I too thought it was just noise from going over some bumpy ground but I drove on (two miles from home) and it is definitely knocking through the arm-rest when I'm accelerating. Its fine when just driving along.
The car is a 2005 model and I've owned it since new. It has always been serviced a VW main dealer but I have no warranty cover on it...

Do I:
A) Drive it to dealer tomorrow? (its two miles, all downhill)
Telephone the dealer and tell them about it?
C) Find an independent repairer? (How much would I save??)

Thanks in anticipation!

Rod
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top