Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a strange occurance today, travelling along at <50mph and needed to to turn right into a side road, so medium to moderate breaking before the junction, and as I went to turn the power assist just stopped and it took a great deal of force to get the wheel around to avoid going into a ditch and it then took a good 20 seconds before the assist returned, when I got home checked the PAS fluid level and that was at the top of the hatched area no leaks to be seen, no fault codes logged, & the aux drive belt looks to be good and correctly tensioned ??

·
Registered
108 Posts
No doubt the Touareg will have an electronic module controlling it. If no fault codes are logged..... Did you use VCDS as it shows more than a basic OBD type reader.

Check if this thread sheds any light on it. It may be a one off glitch. Could some water have been thrown up causing a momentary belt slippage??

(15) Power steering comes and goes | Club Touareg Forum

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only use VCDS Hex V2 unlimited vin and no faults were listed, the road was bone dry so that eliminates any water on the drive belt, this morning I drove the same road and no problem this time

Thanks for that link but that seems to be for the 7L ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is for the 7L but it may point you in the right direction. imho wait and see if it does it again. I had similar on a previous non VW car and it was the rack starting to fail. What mileage has yours done?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
125k on a 13 plate

·
Registered
229 Posts
My Touareg suffered from heavy steering when I was originally getting it fettled, I changed the steering fluid and it made a huge difference (y)
Might be worth a try, also check the belt tensioner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts