Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

Power failure at 70mph !

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  PaddyWagon 
#1 ·
R5 2.5TDI auto 2004.

wife was doing 70 on dual carriageway today, when without any warning lights or sounds, the treg lost power, like the turbo wasnt there ??????....drove on for 5 mins (still with no turbo power) before parking up. Started it back up. Turbo was back, everything fine, for the rest of the day and evening.

Had an ML a few years ago (rubbish car that)....that lost the turbo, due to a split pipe. Woulndnt think this is the same thing, as power has been restored.....for now.

Should I get this looked at on a diagnostics ?. Never happened before. Is this common??

Thanks.
Alex

#3 ·
This type of failure of turbos normally only happens when over heating but will recover after restarting.This seems to be possibly either split feed or just a hesitation again not unusual. If it is a turbo failure it will be consistent meaning will not recover after restart, alternatively it just could be a symptom of possible failure. More likely its a one off.

#4 ·
Many thanks.

Hopefully it wont happen again. (18 months ago a new turbo was fitted at VW, due to an oil leek)

No warning lights came on, which is strange. When my old 330i went into "limp mode" the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

Maybe I should look at a warranty package with somebody. The wife uses it everyday,and has both our little girls in it. Safety for themis my main concern. Well the kids anyway.

Many thanks. HAGWE.

#5 ·
Your turbo, if fitted by a VW dealer, should still be under warranty for the parts - parts and labour for the 1st year, parts only for the 2nd year.

I'd go straight back to the supplying dealer ASAP and get the car investigated properly.

As you say, it is a safety issue as much as anything and I wouldn't wait for that reason alone. Keeping your fingers crossed it won't happen again is not a very good idea IMHO.

As for warranties, there are several threads on that and advice on how to negotiate prices downwards.

The forum sponsor www.warrantyuk.co.uk looks ok on the 2.5 litre [they have payout limits over 3 litres]

And there's Warranty Direct that a number of us are using.

There are others as well of course.

Some have a 90 day period where, not surprisingly, you cannot claim under certain circumstances to stop people dumping already known problems onto them!

#6 ·
noobytoogy said:
Your turbo, if fitted by a VW dealer, should still be under warranty for the parts - parts and labour for the 1st year, parts only for the 2nd year.

I'd go straight back to the supplying dealer ASAP and get the car investigated properly.

As you say, it is a safety issue as much as anything and I wouldn't wait for that reason alone. Keeping your fingers crossed it won't happen again is not a very good idea IMHO.

As for warranties, there are several threads on that and advice on how to negotiate prices downwards.

The forum sponsor www.warrantyuk.co.uk looks ok on the 2.5 litre [they have payout limits over 3 litres]

And there's Warranty Direct that a number of us are using.

There are others as well of course.

Some have a 90 day period where, not surprisingly, you cannot claim under certain circumstances to stop people dumping already known problems onto them!
Just spoke to the supplying dealer. Sinclair Volkswagen Cardiff

They've told me because it was done under the used vehicle original warranty, (which has now expired), they have no responsibility for it.
They will do a diagnostics check at ?75.00 + V.A.T.... thats it. Nice. Any repair work to the turbo is fully chargable.

#7 ·
Its worth getting a warranty just for the peice of mind knowing if anything drastic does happen you dont have to take out a second loan for the repairs. Everytime a Treg goes into a garage for repair work i cant see the bill being less then ?400. i am paying less then that for the warranty !

In the unfortunate occurance the turbo does die, you have some recourse with trading standards, as surely a turbo should last for more than 18 months under normal working conditions.

If the symptoms have gone away for now hopefully it is just a one off as mentioned in an earlier post, spend the ?75+vat towards a warranty and CYA

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think I'd be having a quiet word with the dealer principal.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had an Audi A3 (1.9TDI) which did this once, took it straight to the dealers..... of course when they started it, everything was fine, and they thought I was mad. Diagnostics check done.... faulty boot release came up, and thats it !

I thought maybe one of you have had a similar problem in your Tregs. I initially though MAF/sensors....somthin....would'nt have thought the turbo has died, as it was fine all day today.

Well i'm still gonna get the diagnostics check done (locally tho)...... and deffo get a warranty. The Treg was serviced in January, and only the headlight range sensors have been faulty. It has been and is a great car, and hopefully this will not put a dampener on things.

just a pain in the arse.

Many thanks fellas for your responses. I will get to the bottom of it.... if I can.

#10 ·
I'd say MAF meter - Seems a VW favourite - I would doubt it would be a problem with the Turbo if it hasn't re-occurred

And if you're out of warrenty, I'd be going to an indy for the diagnosis work as they should be OK looking at a 2.5

#12 ·
Pointless arguing the toss if the offending issue has not yet been identified.

VW replacement parts are guaranteed for 2 years, although they try to wriggle out of any repair which has been done within the original 3 year warranty period.

The fault os a safety issue for you, your passengers and all other road users on the same piece of tarmac as you. Needs identifying and sorting asap.

Cass

#13 ·
I can't say for sure what may have caused it but the effect you described is called safe mode and it usually triggered but inconsistent sensor readings between turbo/boost and ecu parameters. When your car goes into safemode it cuts the turbo and some of the fuelling so you limp home to prevent any engine or turbo damage. Why was the turbo changed to start with? Maybe the cause of initial turbo failure still exists? deffo get it checked. Could be a faulty wastegate actuator? Have you had the car remapped? Aggressive maps can also trigger safemode issues. hope this helps, good luck.

#14 ·
Hi All,

I bought a Touareg in December. told by previous owner of problem with power loss, warning buzzer and workshop notice on display, with yellow coil warning light, only happens in cold weather.

After several trips to garage and sensor replacement problem persists.

Happens intermittently (sometimes weeks apart) when getting back to cruise control set speed. Doing motorway driving mostly.Diagnostic indicates Low Turbo Boost Pressure.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

#17 ·
Always supply info on the car: we know the make and model but not the engine, year, or miles.

#15 ·
Hi PaddyWagon, and welcome to myTreg.com

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (year and model are a good start) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Although you already have your Touareg; please read this excellent buyers guide as it will familiarise you with common issues you may experience during the ownership of your vehicle.

Please feel free to post an introduction in the Introductions Forum and tell us about yourself.

Every member has a gallery area in their profile and we love to see photos of your Touareg in action.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.

#16 ·
Sounds more like an overboost due to sticking vanes in the turbo, causing limp mode. This clears when car is switched off and on. It will show up in VCDS scan.

#19 ·
If you add this to your signature, it will always be readable by those reading your posts..

#20 ·
Mines does this, or has done this a few times in the past. I have a 2004 2.5tdi. It's just overboost as 'hunterlees' said. It will show as a turbo fault on the Vcds scan when you have a service or MOT but they can just clear it, mine first did it 3 years ago, had no turbo problems, just don't rev high on the motorway anymore.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Hi All,
I brought it to an independent garage, recommended by the warranty company.
Have it 6 working days without finding the fault.
Nothing coming up on the diagnostic.
Loses power on heavy acceleration. No dash lights or buzzer.
Losing patience.
I will post the result if they solve it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.