Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So I need some new rubber for 21" wheels. Looking at Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. Any thoughts? Got a set of the Verde (non all season) on atm and they have been pretty good in the ice, even with <4mm of tread.

The reviews seem ok, although not that great in snow and ice?! LOL

Would be grateful for your thoughts prior to dropping a bag of sand on rubber.

Cheers my dears!

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
The tread pattern doesn't look all season to me.

Reactions: Davey2021

· Lifelong Motorhead
2,865 Posts
Scorpion Zero All-Season and Scorpion Verde All-Season AREN'T marked for 3PMSF, which most All-Seasons are these days - BUT - Scorpion All-Season SF2 is marked for 3PMSF

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yes, @NoobyT I thought the same thing.

@Black Grouse, I cant find anyone selling the Scorpion All-Season SF2 tho! LOL!

If all else fails then I might just go with the normal 'verde', and i kinda need to get em quick, my rears are almost slick!

TBH - I don't really want em, I want new wheels with KO2 or similar, but the other half is digging her heels in...

(edit - National Tyres seem to have em at £1019 fully fitted, if you reckon these are the ones to get, I'll grab em, which I guess might keep the frogs happy if we go on a road trip...)

· Lifelong Motorhead
2,865 Posts
Thanks. Yes, @NoobyT I thought the same thing.

@Black Grouse, I cant find anyone selling the Scorpion All-Season SF2 tho! LOL!

If all else fails then I might just go with the normal 'verde', and i kinda need to get em quick, my rears are almost slick!

TBH - I don't really want em, I want new wheels with KO2 or similar, but the other half is digging her heels in...

(edit - National Tyres seem to have em at £1019 fully fitted, if you reckon these are the ones to get, I'll grab em, which I guess might keep the frogs happy if we go on a road trip...)
My Tyres have them in my size 255/55R19 but maybe not in yours.

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
If she's digging them in has your other half got AT heels then?

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@NoobyT - Ha! No she doesn't, I wish she had!!

Ok, so it seems Tyre Shopper can supply and fit the Scorpion All-Season SF2 for £1019 and a Hunter 4 wheel alignment inc camber and castor for each wheel is £240.

Gonna pull the trigger on it later today.

Thanks

· Lifelong Motorhead
2,865 Posts
@Black Grouse - Ive just spotted that the Scorpion All-Season SF2 are 275 45, not 40 as my current verde ones are....

Problem?
It'll increase the gearing, probably improving speedo accuracy, theoretically improving fuel consumption but reducing acceleration slightly.

I (almost) always put slightly bigger diameter tyres on when replacing the OE.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to check what the max diameter that VW will permit is.

I dont want any trans problems to be blamed on a possibly oversized diameter...

Or am I worrying about nothing?

Would rather not get verde all season if i can help it, but would happily chose them over trans problems and arguments....

Does anyone know the max diameter for Treg wheels?

Thanks

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
31 inches.

31.5 is possible - just.

· Mechanical Guru
2,718 Posts
I changed to 275/45/21 roughly 3 years ago and they're fine.

I switched to Goodyear Eagle F1 as I found the original Pirelli Scorpion Verde wear rate was pretty poor.

Reactions: Davey2021

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have asked my local VW dealer for their thoughts. I have also asked them for a price, LOL.

Will update thread once I get a response.

Thanks for your input gents, it's appreciated.

· Mechanical Guru
2,718 Posts
Well, I have asked my local VW dealer for their thoughts.
Mmm, I wouldn't expect them to advise anything other than sticking to the original size.

Just incase you haven't realised the spare will be fractionally undersize so will only be good to get you the shortest route to a tyre repair place.

That's something that I'm happy with and I carry tyre strings anyway as an alternative.

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might just do the same tbh...

The SF2 walls are bigger, so might give VW a reason to wriggle out of coughing up for any trans problems, so I think I'm gonna give em a miss.

The reviews of the all season verde aint that good -

So, current thinking is to just replace the normal verde until i can a green light on new wheels and some BFG or Grabbers...

LOL

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi

So I need some new rubber for 21" wheels. Looking at Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. Any thoughts? Got a set of the Verde (non all season) on atm and they have been pretty good in the ice, even with
The reviews seem ok, although not that great in snow and ice?! LOL

Would be grateful for your thoughts prior to dropping a bag of sand on rubber.

Cheers my dears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I think I might have had some success this morning - the guy at the tyre place told be that you can get General Grabber AT3 in 275/45/21.

They look much more aggressive and tick all the boxes, so no need to change wheels anymore! Happy days!

I'm paying £247 per tyre.

Will be also be getting the Hunter alignment.

Result!

:)

· Registered
580 Posts
Don't know what conditions you mostly drive in but AT3s are a fairly awful performer on the road in dry and wet conditions. Would you not be better off with a good all season?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts