Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mechanical Guru
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm not that good with mobile phones and have been searching the forum for help in pairing my partners nokia E71. The phone searched for devices, found the car and then asked me to 'enter code'. My question is where/how do I get a code?

I found this useful post in a previous thread but unlike these instructions my mfd just continues to read 'insert phone'.

stu said:
Jas, i have been through the same thing as you. in the centre arm rest if you have the cradle, it is nothing more than a glorified battery charger!! all it does is hold the phone and charge the battery up, you still need bluetooth to make it all work.

after some searching i discovered that the only nokia phone that fits in the cradle with bluetooth is the 6230i, i bought one of these from ebay brand new in the box etc etc for ?30..

other than that as long as you have bluetooth on the phone you can try connecting it.

1. switch bluetooth on the phone.
2. using steering wheel buttons get to phone connection menu
3. if like mine it will say trying to connect
4. the mfd will then produce a long code which is only displayed for a set length of time so be prepared because you have to type it into your phone.
5. when the code is in the phone and accepted bobs your uncle, as long as the bluetooth is switched on the phone it will automatically pair with the car.

my wifes phone always trys to log on when i am fiddling on the drive (with the car that is.. :oops: ) and she is in the house, so quite a good system.

as i said the only thing the cradle does is charge the battery up which is no bad thing. my wife puts her phone in the ashtray slot and shuts the lid, it keeps the phone secure and out of sight.

yet again don't forget to take it with you......good luck and hope you get sorted out.
I'd be greatful for your thoughts and advice but bear in mind dialing a number and pressing the green button is about my limit with mobiles.

·
135 Posts
Just a thought as I don't have the VW system and can't speak from experience of it (I do have an E71 though), but rather than have the phone search for the car kit, can the car kit search for the phone? Then it (the MFD display) may offer you a code number to put in your phone. Alternatively it may be a case of doing what you are doing and when it says 'enter code' you select the code (usually any 4 numbers eg. 1234 or 7438, whatever, actually 0000 is a default favourite for these things) and it will take you to the next step.

Sorry, probably just rambled and been no use at all but at least it may trigger somethng with someone else if it ain't right.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
IIRC

Make the phone available 1st then you have to search for the phone using the car. When the car has found the available phone, the car displays the number that you input into your phone... simples

·
Mechanical Guru
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses guys. I must be a numpty, no matter where I look I can't find a menu that will allow the car to search for a device??
The mfd displays only one message in the phone menu i.e. insert phone. Tried scrollig the thumbwheel but no more options?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
If thats the case I would look in the handbook to see if your car is fitted with factory blue tooth or if your set up is only for when using a phone dock.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts