Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have just bought a phone cradle which i thought would slot into the space in the centre arm rest, but guess i got it wrong!!..
can anyone give me any help with what i need to fit into the centre arm rest slot of my 2007 treg. if it makes any difference it is for a Nokia phone. i have a cradle i don't need now, if it is any good to anyone let me know. The part number on it is : UHV 7LO 051 435 AJ .

·
318 Posts
Stu,

Which model Nokia are you using - My cradle has Nokia 3100, 3200, 6100, 6220, 6230, 6230i, 6820, 6822 and 7210 printed on it.
The VW part no. on the back is 3C0 051 435 B.

Let me know asap if yours is any of the above models.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotty, The cradle i have has: 6100, 6200, 6220, 6230, 6610(i), 7210, 7250(i) printed on the label. I have a 6610(i), which i was going to use in the car. How does your cradle fit into the arm rest slot? I think i have bought one for a Golf or Passatt to be honest.

·
318 Posts
The best way to describe how it fits, is a sort of slide & click ??

On the base of the cradle is a small rectangular connecting block with about 20 small terminals and a single circular terminal.
In the armrest is a hinged/sprung plastic flap that hides the receiving terminals.

Position the cradle with the terminal block lowest and facing to the rear and slide it back into the hinged flap until it clicks into place.
Removal by sliding forwards.

I was going to offer you mine FOC as I don't use it - Let me know how you get on.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scotty, that would be extremely kind of you to let me have yours!! i have tried again with the one i bought and there is no way it will fit, bit annoyed with myself for not making sure it was right thing. I am an old fashioned kind of guy and haven't ventured into the 21 century yet for things like bluetooth, i have just stopped using my 3210i because i had a genuine nokia car kit fitted in my Discovery. I will just buy a phone that fits the cradle if you still feel like parting company with it, just let me know and we can sort something out. Thanks again Stu

·
318 Posts
Stu,

Unless you're in the NE this coming week, PM me your details or a suitable address to post it to and I'll get it sent before my hols next week, otherwise you'll have to wait until the end of Aug.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much Pm sent

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need some help again please!!!.... i have the correct cradle for the centre arm rest now (thanks to scotty) i also have one of the Nokia phones listed on it. i have fitted them both in the car and the phone charges up when you turn the power on but that's it. I can't get it to do anything else. Does anyone use the centre arm rest cradle or know how to make it all work??

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I might be very wrong but?. Have your tried connecting via Bluetooth?

The reason I ask is that my old 2005-55 Treg had the cradle in the armrest and the phone only worked when the phone was in the cradle even though the cradle actually connected via Bluetooth to the head-unit. My dealer changed the settings to allow Bluetooth when out of the cradle so I could leave my phone in my pocket.

For the 2007 model it seems that Bluetooth was an option without any cradle and then you had to pay extra for the cradle charging point and the phone-specific cradle- so I am guessing- but maybe the cradle only charges up the phone and the connection is always from the phone via Bluetooth?

Cas

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cas, Thanks for your thoughts, they sound quite good!! But why go to the extravegance of having a cradle just to charge the phone?? If i need to charge the phone i would plug it into the ciggy lighter like normal. My phone doesn't have bluetooth, i know i am very yesterday, but it's just the way i like it. I had a Nokia car kit in my last car which held the phone in a cradle, charged the battery and when the phone was used muted the stereo and put the sound through the speakers. i thought this is what the cradle in the Treg would do. i know the bluetooth works because my wifes phone connects as soon as she gets in the car. If the phone is only via bluetooth, i don't see any point in having the cradle really. I think i will have to do some more digging.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I may be very wrong- hopefully someone else can give some advice.

Cas

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well to draw a line under all my questions about the phone cradle.... i was at the dealer today dropping the car off for some work and i asked them about the cradle.

YES it is a glorified charger!!... the phone will only connect via bluetooth. so when in cradle it will charge up battery but still requires bluetooth to work.

my next question was the Nokia phones listed on the cradle are generally too old to have bluetooth!! no real answer for that one.

so basically by a decent phone with bluetooth and forget about the cradle... :roll:

G

·
No info. on VW cradles, but on BMWs for instance, the cradle also connects the phone to an external aerial to get better reception, as well as keeping it fully charged.

Haven't seen any sharkfins on Tregs, but other VWs have them.

Cheers, Andy

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
I believe the cradle was introduced as a dealer fit requirement when the legislation preventing the use of hand held mobiles was implemented. You had to have this fitted when ordering a hands free/bluetooth kit. Putting the phone in a cradle was perceived as making it a fixed phone fit, therefore hands free, regardless of the bluetooth connectivity, thereby complying with the legislation.

If you recall there was alot of confusion and (mis)interpretation of the legislation when it first came in

Cass

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes an external arial would be good, both my land rover and bmw had them, my 7 series had the phone in the centre arm rest, seems such an old fashioned idea now an actual hand set, but it worked well. i think in some areas vw so called luxury vehicles are lagging a bit, yet again the bmw had good sat nav and a standard tv, i would really expect a well specified treg to have this also. sorry gone off topic there.. :oops:

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well after alot of digging about i have got my phone situation all sorted out!!

i have bought a nokia 6230i, which fits in the cradle and charges up just fine, also this phone has bluetooth and connects right up no problems with the car...better late than never..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts