Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether the Nokia E71 is compatable with the bluetooth telephone preparation package? My current Vario III doesn't work!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I cant say about the N71 I am afraid, but I believe that any phone needs to have rSAP (Remote SIM Activation Protocol) what ever that is- so if you can find out from Nokia if it is rSAP you might know for sure.

Cas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rob B, I can confirm that the Nokia E71 works well with the Car Kit as I myself use on. I have found out that the VW Bluetooth Kit is in fact made by Nokia so nearly all Nokia Phones will work with it.

Hope this helps.

·
67 Posts
So, i've bought a new Touareg and it has factory bluetooth. Only problem is that i can't get my HTC Hero to connect. The dealer reckons it only works with non smartphones but as usual doesn't know a whole lot.

I've done some hunting and found out that the kits are Nokia manufactured and that maybe you need an rSAP compatible Nokia to guarantee full functionality.

I'd be happy with and E72 - does anyone know if this works? I suspect it will if E71s work.

Anyone tried it?

I'd appreciate a post from anyone that has a fully functioning bluetooth telling me what phone they're using and i can compile a shortlist of HTC replacements. Since rSAP is a Nokia protocol, i wonder how many non-Nokias support it?

Also, i don;t mind using the cradle, where can i get a list of cradle that are available?

Cheers all

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Hi Outrun,
I have the factory phone prep and have only found one phone that gives full functionality - Nokia N95. Its a dated handset but works perfectly well with full voice control. Recieves text messages to the MFD, copies them to the phone no problem.

I've had very limited, hit and miss connectivity with my Blackberry Storm, to be honest more trouble than its worth trying to connect every time you get in the car.

Now got an iPhone and there's no connection whatsoever. Suspect as the HTC is a recent handset its not gonna work. "Premium Phone Preparation" is only worthy of the name if you use a Nokia handset. It just don't like smartphones.

·
67 Posts
Ok so i've done some research into this that should help other owners in the future.

The VW factory kit (cradle in the armrest, full bluetooth throw the multi function computer etc) that is found in Touaregs is manufactured by Nokia. In typical Nokia fashion (I spent 14 years in telecoms!), they have made the kit support one of their proptocols calls rSAP or remote Sim Access Protocol. This allows for the contact data to be uploaded to the car etc.

In order to get full functionality, you need to choose a phone that is rSAP compatible. That means most Nokias of course and several basic Motorola, Siemens and Sony Handsets.

For those that use a smartphone of any type, some BlacbkBerry handsets support rSAP but they're not very reliable with it and the best option would be an E series Nokia (E63,71,72 etc). Beware as even some Nokias will require rSAP to be activated using the phone's bluetooth connectivity menus.

If you have an Iphone or an Android device, there is no way these will work. I found loads of beta chat on the web about this but so far no one seems to have designed any way to resolve this.

There are 10 cradles available for 10 of the oldest phones known to man, these can be easily found on VW UK's website in the accessories section.

There's more...

If you have another VAG group car that has the changeable cradle system mounted on the car dash somewhere, you have more options available. There are a number of cradles, including Iphone available but the nicest device is a clip on/off bluetooth functionality screen that allows connection by any bluetooth phone, smartphones included. It's an aftermarket product, i think made by THBury for VW and seems to be available readily in Germany. You can find more by searching for VW Germany Handy Accessories on the web. (They call a mobile a handy over there!).

Also good to know is that the cradles are made by Paragon Fidelity in Germany and they have a much greater choice there than here. There is no reason that I can find why you can't order one from there from any VW dealer, it should work here with no issue. The German VW site has lists of cradle details and part numbers etc.

The upshot of all this - I have to change phone to an E series Nokia in order to use my new car's bluetooth. Not the end of the world as all i wanted was to make sure i could still get work email thru an Exchange server.

·
54 Posts
Ok so i've done some research into this that should help other owners in the future.

The VW factory kit (cradle in the armrest, full bluetooth throw the multi function computer etc) that is found in Touaregs is manufactured by Nokia. In typical Nokia fashion (I spent 14 years in telecoms!), they have made the kit support one of their proptocols calls rSAP or remote Sim Access Protocol. This allows for the contact data to be uploaded to the car etc.

In order to get full functionality, you need to choose a phone that is rSAP compatible. That means most Nokias of course and several basic Motorola, Siemens and Sony Handsets.

For those that use a smartphone of any type, some BlacbkBerry handsets support rSAP but they're not very reliable with it and the best option would be an E series Nokia (E63,71,72 etc). Beware as even some Nokias will require rSAP to be activated using the phone's bluetooth connectivity menus.

If you have an Iphone or an Android device, there is no way these will work. I found loads of beta chat on the web about this but so far no one seems to have designed any way to resolve this.

There are 10 cradles available for 10 of the oldest phones known to man, these can be easily found on VW UK's website in the accessories section.

There's more...

If you have another VAG group car that has the changeable cradle system mounted on the car dash somewhere, you have more options available. There are a number of cradles, including Iphone available but the nicest device is a clip on/off bluetooth functionality screen that allows connection by any bluetooth phone, smartphones included. It's an aftermarket product, i think made by THBury for VW and seems to be available readily in Germany. You can find more by searching for VW Germany Handy Accessories on the web. (They call a mobile a handy over there!).

Also good to know is that the cradles are made by Paragon Fidelity in Germany and they have a much greater choice there than here. There is no reason that I can find why you can't order one from there from any VW dealer, it should work here with no issue. The German VW site has lists of cradle details and part numbers etc.

The upshot of all this - I have to change phone to an E series Nokia in order to use my new car's bluetooth. Not the end of the world as all i wanted was to make sure i could still get work email thru an Exchange server.

·
54 Posts
Just to confuse matters, if you go for the dealer fitted bluetooth kit it is fully compatible with both blackberry and iphones.

It does not chrage but gives voice control and handsfree auto connect facility

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
Isn't the dealer fit a Parrot ?

·
54 Posts
Not marked as such so not sure, am sure someone out there knows that !

Comes from VW accessories catalogue but could be made by them.

All I know is that it works very well !!

·
67 Posts
Not marked as such so not sure, am sure someone out there knows that !

Comes from VW accessories catalogue but could be made by them.

All I know is that it works very well !!
It's made by THBury and is excellent.

Update for the full factory bluetooth is that I popped by the dealer today to try my new Nokia E72 and it works perfectly. Full contacts upload etc etc. I have to wait until Tuesday for the car but at least I know the phone thing is dealt with.

I bought the phone specially and it's now crashed and will need to go back though! I know why after searching the net so shouldn't cause a problem again i hope.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
As well as the nokias, some bb will fully connect. I have used a storm and 2 bold, curves, etc. I currently use a htc windows mobile touch pro, the touch diamond, and touch pro 2 also work. I am surprised the Androids dont. Maybe have a skulk around the geeky Android forums, and see if someone has made an "app".

·
67 Posts
As well as the nokias, some bb will fully connect. I have used a storm and 2 bold, curves, etc. I currently use a htc windows mobile touch pro, the touch diamond, and touch pro 2 also work. I am surprised the Androids dont. Maybe have a skulk around the geeky Android forums, and see if someone has made an "app".
Had a real good search and no-one has yet cracked the Android issue with any cute solutions. There is some talk of the latest Android 2 version coming with rSAP as standard but they also took ages to support some parts of Exchange support so we'll see how it develops. I do hope they get there as although i quite like the E72, Android rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have read a number of threads about this frustrating issue and I'm new so be gentle with me huh?

Ok I have an iphone 4 and I have just bought a 55 plate T'reg with the Nokia cradle for a Nokia 6231 installed.

I know there are no cradles for the iphone from VW but I have discovered a very similar cradle for the Audi Vehicles.
Even down to the pins and their positions plus the positions of the connections etc.

Simple question is, Will this work?
Just to charge and work through the aerial and hands free facilities

I mean I am thinking that for around £40 its worth a shot do you think? If not it simply gets put back on Ebay..

Any opinions will be greatly received.

Thanks Guys

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Sounds like you have the early VW factory kit designed for Nokia/other limited phones and most likely it will not work with newer smartphones such as the iPhone

Early cars may not have a BT capability so I'd recommend that you get this checked out by a competent car phone/audio shop before going further. There are aftermarket kits such as Fiscon where you can get OEM BT functionality without wasting shedloads on limited VW kit. Plenty if threads here about that subject

No idea on the suggested Audi cradle compatibility but some Skoda units work with the Treg, albeit with limited functionality.

If you need to upgrade, I'd consider companies such as:

http://www.hazzydayz.com/--volkswagen-20-c.asp

Fiscon link here:

http://fiscon-mobile.com/products/main_volkswagen.php

As with all kits, you need to know your head unit model and it's functionality before setting off on any upgrade

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Cass,
Yep, I'll try that, but first things first I'll see what connectivity I have with the iphone without using the cradle and take it from there.

It's not as though I use it for work any more so it's not worth ramping up the costs on this issue

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts