Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it only me? Perhaps it's just because I live in the sticks and we have overgrown verges every-bleedin'-where. But my parking sensors drive me mad:

Scenario 1:
I park up close to the wall (front on) and when I get in the next morning to reverse away I select "R" (Remember I'm parked front to the wall with nowt behind me. See I'm dead clever, me) and as soon as I do the feckin' sensor blares into life and it gets me every time. Question: why doesn't my clever, clever car know the difference between going forwards and going backwards?

Scenario 2:
I'm driving along minding my own business, like you do. Along comes Mrs Miggins in her green Peugeot 308 (they always drive them, don't they?) and forces me over to the left. "Bleeeeeepp!!" FFS, it might as well be La Wurzelina screaming, "Look out, Verge!!" Question: where is the "Okay-I-feckin'-know-the-verge-is-there!" button?

I've spoken to [email protected] (Loders VW Yeovil - I feel a special post brewing about them, come to think of it ...) about this issue. (i.e. I asked them if they could be switched off by default or something) And do you know what their considered response was after four whole days with my car? "Well, the technician drove the Sales Director's Touareg and his is the same; so they're working normally ..." I marvel sometimes at my self-control: I thought I did really well not to strangle him actually.

Seriously, is it just me or do the rest of you harbour a deep hatred of your parking sensors and secretly wish harm to their children ...?

Chris

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
If I get too close to something I hit it... if I don't hit it, happy days...

Way it's worked in all my cars, not changing now for some blinkety blink red, amber green shenanigans...

Be glad you have 'em Wurzel.... but thought the button by the hazzards in the dash turned 'em off....?

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I'm surprised they are not speed related - turning off above say 20 mph.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
noobytoogy said:
Oh yeah, they do that. It's still a surprise when they switch themselves back on (under that speed) and "Beep, beep, beeeeeep!" Ba***ards!

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I prefer them working like that than in the X5 which seemed to need the fronts to be manually switched on....we only had it 24hrs so I maybe wrong, but couldnt find a way to keep them on....

I know what you mean, but on the other hand surely its better to be warned about something before you hit it unexpectedly, than hear the crunch and then think, damn forgot to turn the sensors on.....??

·
400 Posts
Wurzel][quote=noobytoogy said:
Oh yeah, they do that. It's still a surprise when they switch themselves back on (under that speed) and "Beep, beep, beeeeeep!" Ba***ards![/quote]

Maybe you drive too close to things

I find them fantastic they only seem to bother me when needed, i take it yours work like mine and dont start beeping till they go last amber / red ??

If you want you can turn the volume down (splittable front to back) so the front can be quieter / louder etc and I think you can also reduce the sensitivity to make them wait until things are closer. When mine flatlines it's about 2-3 inches from the object.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jsmills said:
If you want you can turn the volume down (splittable front to back) so the front can be quieter / louder etc and I think you can also reduce the sensitivity to make them wait until things are closer. When mine flatlines it's about 2-3 inches from the object.
How?! Tell me right now! Don't just tease me like that - I need precise instructions - it's possible you could save my sanity.

·
400 Posts
vag.com

Access controller 76 (Parking Sensors) then goto adaptation.

Channel 1 = Front volume, enter the value in % so 50 = 50%. Default is 50, 0 switches off the beeps but leaves lights, 100 will deafen people in the car behind.
Channel 2 = Rear volume
Channel 3 = Activation Speed, Min 1kmh Max 15kmh (default is 14)
Channel 4 = Rear adaption (Hitch etc), 0 - 15 in cm

Couldnt find the sensitivity stuff maybe I dreamt about it, a while ago when my sensors were playing up i spent some time looking at input voltage, output and converted distance values (just for interest rather than fixing) and had it in my head i could adjust the sensitivity, maybe i left the engine running
will let you know if i find it.

Also i underestimated at 2-3 inches its more like 6-8

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
"Also I underestimated at 2-3 inches its more like 6-8"

Yeah, yeah!

·
749 Posts
I have a button to turn them on off, !!

all Tregs do, its for those times when you are in traffic and they keep going off, am i missing something, that is what you were asking isnt it ? The button is left of the hazard flasher button.

My sensors are speed related, so only come on when i slow right down, havent checked the speed but will next time i go out.

And yes you are right the front sensors do go off untill you reverse away, gets me sometimes aswel.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - I have that button!

I'm going to use JSMills's vag.com settings to sort the little blighters out!

·
749 Posts
Wurzel said:

Press it ...lol

It should disable the parking sensors ... while typing this it has just occured to me that you may only want to get rid of the noise and not the visual .... :oops:

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
furion said:
Wurzel said:

Press it ...lol

It should disable the parking sensors ... while typing this it has just occured to me that you may only want to get rid of the noise and not the visual .... :oops:
Ta da!!

·
749 Posts
quote]

Ta da!![/quote]

If you do find a cure, can you find out if it will work for mother in laws ,,,, no noise just visual !

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
83 Posts
It was my understanding that front Parking sensors were on when you reverse as you pretty much tend reverse in an arc and therefore it is quite possible to clip something with your front end whilst reversing.

I find the parking sensors invaluable. I used to be a bit suspicious of them and didn't quite trust their perception of distance, but I now couldn't drive without them.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Me too - love them.

Definately needed for such a big car

Cass

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
furion said:
quote]

Ta da!!
If you do find a cure, can you find out if it will work for mother in laws ,,,, no noise just visual ![/quote]

I need one to turn off both the noise and visual

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Cass said:
Me too - love them.

Definately needed for such a big car

Cass
It's a wonder that vw charge ?455 as a factory -fitted option (except on R50). For such a big car it should be standard on all trims. It's seems like a money making exercise or just plain stinginess.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
staffs said:
For such a big car it should be standard on all trims. It's seems like a money making exercise or just plain stinginess.
Totally agree and just pointed this out on the 2 survey forms I've just received

Cass

1 - 20 of 25 Posts