Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to heathrow today i saw a lorry on fire in the middle lane of the m25 at junction 28 ... do lorrys just combust and not give you time to pull over and just decide to block everyone ???? anyway i digress !

Since i bought my car in March i have done 4784 miles and i had the check oil message come up today, so i stuck a litre of oil in .... however is this amount of oil burn normal, high or low, its not so important with the particular car, but would be nice to know for the next Treg. I had a trawl thru the threads and read Nimrod hasnt topped up for 8k miles, but my car had done 5x the mileage as Numrods beast.

At what point should one believe there is excessive oil burn enought to warrant a trip for some investigation ?

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
When I first got mine, I got the check oil warning within 5k miles while showing the car off to my brother in law
, and then nothing until the first service at about 19k miles

Then I got warning again a couple of thousand miles after the service - then nothing again for ages

I reckon the engine just dumps oil randomly - nothing I'm worried about, just seems a bit wierd..

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Modern engines often burn more oil than older ones.

It's part of the price you pay for extended service intervals.

I bought a year old Beemer with 12,000 miles on the clock that used nearly a litre every thousand miles = 10p a mile!

I went back to the dealer and the service manager suggested a cure - with a big grin. So I thrashed the living daylights out of the car, enjoyed myself and consumption fell to half a litre in 5,000 miles! But I changed the oil and filter at 7K anyway as that was halfway between the extended services.

I am very surprised you wait for the oil check light to come on. I'd never rely on that and check my oil regularly along with the washer top up, with a quick visual on the coolant level and a run round the tyre pressures.

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noobytoogy said:
Modern engines often burn more oil than older ones.

It's part of the price you pay for extended service intervals.

I bought a year old Beemer with 12,000 miles on the clock that used nearly a litre every thousand miles = 10p a mile!

I went back to the dealer and the service manager suggested a cure - with a big grin. So I thrashed the living daylights out of the car, enjoyed myself and consumption fell to half a litre in 5,000 miles! But I changed the oil and filter at 7K anyway as that was halfway between the extended services.

I am very surprised you wait for the oil check light to come on. I'd never rely on that and check my oil regularly along with the washer top up, with a quick visual on the coolant level and a run round the tyre pressures.
I didnt bother checking it to much as the car has been rejected back to the dealer and will be gone within the next couple of weeks.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Dal,
i check my oil regularly and have never put any in.
At the moment its 5000 miles plus since the last service

·
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nimrod said:
Dal,
i check my oil regularly and have never put any in.
At the moment its 5000 miles plus since the last service
I had checked it about four weeks ago and did see it was going down, but was hopeing the check wouldnt come before sending the car back, ?17 a litre !

I would normally keep an eye on things and top up regularly .... I just never had to top up my BMW's or Audis between services, so was surprised at the rate of oil burn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts