Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil do you put in your car 0/30w or 5/40w. Are you on the long life regeme ( 2 years/20 00miles )or time and distance ( 1year / 10 000miles)?

VW says 0/30w for long life especially 2.5R and V10 because of the geartrain in the back of the engine , and 0/30W oil for diesel particulate filters.

So if i want to be on time and distance with 5/40W oil the geartrain and the DPF will still be OK. The oil cant damage the engine as long as you change it at the set intervals.

Beware there are a lot of scare mongers about. Dont let them put all sorts of tosh in you head.
Ive been asked this question once too many so i thought it good to put it on here.

D

·
400 Posts
thanks, im on long life and havnt got a clue what oil they use. Will have to see what they use at the next service

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Tregtech,I would appreciate your input.I have a 2.5tdi 04 r5.The service showa they have put 5w 30.is this wrong
Thanks in advanced
John

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
When you change the oil dpends upon your mileage, how you drive it and what you are comforatable with.

My oil will get changed once a year as I only do relatively short trips and about 6-8K per annum.

I don't like long life servicing so even if I was doing 20K per annum, I'd change the oil and filter every 6 months anyway.

Quite a few of my cars have done 150K plus and I used to change the oil every 5K-8K and never had an engine problem.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm on the long life schedule (20k) and my car has just indicated that a service is due in 1800 miles, Im currently at 17,600 ish, the oil spec is hown on a little sticker near to the filler cap on my car.

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
I was in Halfords yesterday and the oil they specifically sell for both VW and Audi petrol and diesels is 5/30 507 spec.

·
Chairman
20,090 Posts
s4treg][QUOTE="noobytoogy said:
I was in Halfords yesterday and the oil they specifically[/u, "] sell for both VW and Audi petrol and diesels is 5/30 507 spec.

Well thats the WRONG oil for the R5 & V10 !!!! The oil you mention is Castrol edge, 507.00.

I had this confirmed from VAG at Milton Keynes, that these R5 & V10 must only use 506.01 spec oil, the Castrol Edge does not comply[/quote]

This was Halfords' own brand and definitely marked 507 [and in a different coloured container] for VW/Audi. I didn't look at the Castrol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

I've got a V8 that I'm about to do an oil change on....5w30 Mobil 1. I bought 5w 30 but I now see Mobil 1 specs 0w 40????

Correct enough oil with the 5w 30?

What size are the crush washers?

Thanks

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
noobytoogy][QUOTE="s4treg said:
noobytoogy said:
I was in Halfords yesterday and the oil they specifically[/u, "] sell for both VW and Audi petrol and diesels is 5/30 507 spec.

Well thats the WRONG oil for the R5 & V10 !!!! The oil you mention is Castrol edge, 507.00.

I had this confirmed from VAG at Milton Keynes, that these R5 & V10 must only use 506.01 spec oil, the Castrol Edge does not comply

This was Halfords' own brand and definitely marked 507 [and in a different coloured container] for VW/Audi. I didn't look at the Castrol.[/quote]

My instruction book tells me the right oil for a 2.5 DPF is 507.00

·
Registered
42 Posts

I had this confirmed from VAG at Milton Keynes, that these R5 & V10 must only use 506.01 spec oil, the Castrol Edge does not comply[/quote]

My instruction book tells me the right oil for a 2.5 DPF is 507.00[/quote]

I'm sure that means something to you....But, I don't get it at all?

V8 Touareg Correct oil is 502 Rating, correct?

Mobil 1 Website say 0w40???

What is the washer size? Need to get it at Auto Parts Store...In Hillbilly Land...!

Thanks

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Bones,
I'm quoting oil for a 2.5DPF diesel,as driven by moi.
You'll have to wait for one of the V8 boys to help you.
Hopefully Hipflyguy will see your post and help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nimrod said:
Bones,
I'm quoting oil for a 2.5DPF diesel,as driven by moi.
You'll have to wait for one of the V8 boys to help you.
Hopefully Hipflyguy will see your post and help.
OK, thanks

My appointment is in another hour.

Local Auto Parts store thinks they MIGHT have the crush washer as they are all "standard". This was the commercial sales guy that has a VW.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Per my Manual...5w40...or 5w30

I could not find 0w ANYTHING however I have seen it somewhere.

I'm good with my 5w30 Mobil 1 PURrrrrrrrssssss

1 - 13 of 13 Posts