Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully a v.simple Q...
-We have just purchased a V6 3.0 TDI (July2006 registration). On "LongLife Servicing" schedule.

I thought I had better check the old girls oil level - having read loads of forum topics about the horrors of incorrect engine oil etc.
I just want to check whether I must use "Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow LongLife III engine oil" for topping up?
I bought some v.expensive Mobil-1 Turbodiesel oil when we had a BMW.
If I use the Mobil-1, for top-up, will I "ruin" the existing engine oil/invalidate warranty/be struck down by lightning?
If yes, then where is the best/cheapest place to buy Castrol?

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
This link should answer your question.

Needs to meet VW spec 507.00 (5W-30) fully synthetic.

The link on here to Opie Oils will give you some alternatives and I'm pretty sure Halfrauds do a version of this oil if you are looking for the cheapest.

Looks like your Mobil 1 is 0W-40 0r 5W-40 so not appropriate

·
24 Posts
banbury said:
Hopefully a v.simple Q...
-We have just purchased a V6 3.0 TDI (July2006 registration). On "LongLife Servicing" schedule.

I thought I had better check the old girls oil level - having read loads of forum topics about the horrors of incorrect engine oil etc.
I just want to check whether I must use "Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow LongLife III engine oil" for topping up?
I bought some v.expensive Mobil-1 Turbodiesel oil when we had a BMW.
If I use the Mobil-1, for top-up, will I "ruin" the existing engine oil/invalidate warranty/be struck down by lightning?
If yes, then where is the best/cheapest place to buy Castrol?
Hi Banbury,

The best deals can be found at your Local Independant Motor Factors, they are massivly cheaper the the Stealers and Halfrauds, check these out in your area, http://www.allpartsautomotive.co.uk/all ... p?ID=14347

They are part of the UKPA. ( United Kingdom Parts Alliance ) all types of Oil sold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I now know I definitely need to use the proper Castrol stuff.
I'll give the local Motor Factors a call in the morning.
Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goto the Nearest VW Dealer Trade counter, say your from a Local garage ( get the name out of the Yellow pages )
and get yourself some the the VW Longlife III at approx ?33 for 5litres at the moment, its on special offer to us trade customers through their TPS trade counters

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
bnl said:
Goto the Nearest VW Dealer Trade counter, say your from a Local garage ( get the name out of the Yellow pages )
and get yourself some the the VW Longlife III at approx ?33 for 5litres at the moment, its on special offer to us trade customers through their TPS trade counters
Bnl this seems like a good idea, but don't you need a business card or something as proof
:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Staffs in most cases you will not need proof, just be friendly with the trade counter staff etc, just say you work at this garage, but are currently off work on holiday and taking the time out to do essential maintenance on your own car.

BTW Longlife III is not only ?22.39 + vat ( trade club price )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so I went to local VW Parts counter. And was duly recognized as I had recently been in to ask about some touch up paint. So could not "blag" it as trade. Next time I will wear a disguise. :wink:
Ended up buying 1 litre of Castrol Longlife 3 SLX at full retail price. Doh!
Just noticed Kaines post about Opie oils. Will get a quote from them and local motor factors when I use up the 1ltr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts