Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5tdi touareg and the oil level check message appears on the dash and then the amber oil can symbol stays on.
I have checked the oil level carefully and it is showing perfect on the dipstick...are the sump sensors a common problem ?
My oil temp gauge works although seems slow to move up, which may be normal. I have read on other sites about this and heard about the bonnet switch , does this apply to the touareg too? I have no alarm problems.

·
59 Posts
Hi,

Mine has done this before. It seems to come on when the oil level is in the middle of the min and max markers if i haven't checked the level. I just keep the oil topped up near the top end of the marker and haven't had any issues since.

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will keep that in mind. My oil levle is at the max, i dont want to put any more in really...
Surely it shouldnt come on unless the level drops below the minimum.

·
59 Posts
You'd think that wouldn't you. My light has only ever come on when approaching the middle of the markers. Maybe others can comment.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. I have bought a new sensor and am going to fit it tomorrow, I might try putting more oil in first to see if that takes the light out, it will be overfilled though if I do that. I will be draining the oil anyway so I'll just try it first, either way it must be a faulty sensor if I need to put too much in get the light to go out.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Before draining the oil would it not make sense to check operation of the existing sensor.
Not sure if the contacts are normally open, or normally closed, but since you have a new one you could check that and then replicate on the car, by disconnecting, and/or bridging the terminals on the connector as appropriate, to see if that cancels the warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you are right, thats what I was going to do but there are 3 terminals on the sensor and I wasn't sure which ones to bridge.
I guess there must be continuety through the sensor, or not, depending on the oil level so I will try experimenting before I remove the sensor and compare with the new one. I suppose there must one terminal for the level, one for the temp and one earth. Looking back, I suppose I could have checked if one was earth and bridged them and found out if the light goes out.
I didnt get the sensor today, its arriving tomorrow so I will update then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention, I did unplug the sensor and the light stayed on, so they must have to be bridged to get the light out. I will try and get the light out by bridging the wires to confirm it is the sensor before changing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grr I fitted a new sensor today and the light remains on! There is a live going to the sensor..so I don't know what else to do.
Does anyone know IF the bonnet switch on these causes the oil light to stay on if its faulty? Or is that just on the Passats?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts