Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed oil leaking from my 2004 2.5Tdi . When I removed the bottom covers it appears to be coming from a black plastic (intercooler?) pipe that goes from a flexi pipe which connects to the turbo and to what I would imagine as the intercooler (its a small radiator between the passenger wheel arch and the front bumper.

I removed the pipe and sure enough oil came out (a few ml anyway). I cleaned all the pipe work and attempted to clean out the intercooler with a rag but I dont know how to remove it to clean it properly.

Just driven it again and the oil is back in this bottom plastic intercooler pipe.

where is the oil coming from?. What seals could I be looking at as I am sure I shouldnt be getting any oil down there.

Is it likely the oil is coming down from the turbo end or would it usually be the cool intake end.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated , moneys a bit tight at the moment and this is beginning to worry me.

·
1,307 Posts
i havent navigated my way around the Treg yet as i havent had any problems with it,so i dont know where exactly things are, i have a V6 too so it will be different, but you shouldnt have any oil in the intercooler!!!

are you sure its the intercooler and not the oil cooler?? there are oil feed pipes for the turbo and the oil cooler is only small ish.

let me know how you get on please out of interest.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent navigated my way around the Treg yet as i havent had any problems with it,so i dont know where exactly things are, i have a V6 too so it will be different, but you shouldnt have any oil in the intercooler!!!

are you sure its the intercooler and not the oil cooler?? there are oil feed pipes for the turbo and the oil cooler is only small ish.

let me know how you get on please out of interest.
Thanks for your interest I'm pretty sure it is the intercooler pipe as it approx 2" across and made from plastic and it doesnt appear to have good seals just a push fit with a quick release clip.

Im just monitoring the ammount of oil at the moment as I cleaned out the pipe yesterday hoping it doesnt return.

Would appreciate any ideas on how to remove the intercooler and any likely seal linked to the intercooler system

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I may be wrong but from reading up on turbos for something else, your turbo may be failing.

It is fed with oil that should drain back into the engine/sump but if the bearings are going, the oil will leak past and can enter the intercooler which is what appears to be happening.

Just to really alarm you it is suggested that in very extreme cases the engine oil might be burnt as fuel in the engine in a continuous and uncontrollable cycle as the engine overspeeds to excessive, engine bursting RPM with the driver unable to stop the engine except by stalling the car against a solid immobile object!

Now I hope you are a long way from that but on what you've typed and the links below I'd certainly be thinking about getting my turbo checked out ASAP and, if necessary, reconditioned - all a lot cheaper than a blown engine.

Apparently you can buy reconditioning kits to do the job yourself if you know what you are doing, but generally the advice seems to be to use a reputable reconditioning firm which has the right kit to properly balance the thing as it spins at a multiple of the engine revs.

Here's a good firm: Turbo Technics have been around for quite a while: http://www.turbotechnics.com/

Some good pix of what your turbo may look like [and what it should look like!]:

http://www.difflock.com/magazine/modifications/Land_Rover_300tdi_turbo_rebuild.shtml

This one is recommended on another 4x4 site

http://www.arturbo.co.uk/contact.asp

·
1,307 Posts
unfortunately you beat me to it nooby, i was begining to think along turbo lines myself, always want to start simple because you never know your luck. a new turbo is only a few hundred quid, but reconditioning is a good idea.

this is why i said there should be no oil in in intercooler because it can usually only come from one place..

good luck mate and let us know how you get on.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Thanks guys for your help .I will keep you updated with my findings
Okrang is having reconned turbos on his V10 engine rebuild and the intercooler is being sent away to be properly cleaned so I'd bear this in mind too.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
It might be worth having the crankcase breather system checked out before jumping to any conclusions.

It's fairly common to have a small amount of oil residue in an intercooler since the crankcase ventilation discharges into the inlet ducting to the turbocharger. Although most should be separated out the hot blow-by gases contain oil vapour which will condense in the intercooler and drop to a low point when the engine isn't running.
Also oil around an intercooler pipe connection is an indication of a potential boost leak.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Also oil around an intercooler pipe connection is an indication of a potential boost leak.
What's the fix for a boost leak?

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
unfortunately you beat me to it nooby, i was begining to think along turbo lines myself, always want to start simple because you never know your luck. a new turbo is only a few hundred quid, but reconditioning is a good idea.

this is why i said there should be no oil in in intercooler because it can usually only come from one place..

good luck mate and let us know how you get on.
I ended up getting a new Garrett turbo a couple of years ago - a grand in total (£595 for the turbo plus a new intercooler pipe, fittings and labour)at my trusted indy. VW wanted £2k!!

·
1,307 Posts
can you remember what model the turbo was?

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
It was a GT2056V - just seen a reconed one on fleabay for £470

·
1,307 Posts
that seems quite expensive!!! you could get a roller bearing T25/28 for the same sort of money. oh how times are a changing everything seems to cost so much now.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
As with so much, you link it to a Touareg and it becomes twice as expensive and twice as difficult

I'll bet that the Turbo used on a T5 transporter is exactly the same - just with a different part number and half the price

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry i havnt been in touch lately to give an update.
Well here it it. I havnt yet cured the fault but Im hoping Im someway there to finding the problem. Last week as I was about to take the car in to get repaired the auto gearbox developed symptoms relating to valve block assembly(gulp). Before jumping off the nearest bridge I decided to give it one last look tonight and I think Ive found a Transmission leak from one of the rigid metal pipes which feed up the driver side of the front radiator visable through the bottom grille. It seems to be somewhere near the bottom where it dissappears through under the car into a valve block? which has hydraulic like pipes connected to it.

Im hoping this has been the fault all along (Im sure the oil was black however it does appear to be red now)

It still doesnt answer the oil in the intercooler pipe however I take on board what some of you have said in there being a small amount under normal conditions

Now comes my new questions

How easy is it to have the transmission fluid changed/topped up. Do I need to go to VW and have it done there so I can have it connected to a computer

Is this solid metal pipe easy to repair or replace

Anybody got an expected cost for this work to be done

Finally many thanks for all your help. If all forums could be as imformative as this one

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts