Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya, my car was in the garage for something unrelated, but they advised me I had a slight oil leak between the gearbox and engine and to monitor.

Any ideas where the leak could be originating from?
I have never been able to see any oil on the floor, or around the engine bay… but today, the car was chuggering a bit when in low revs and speed, and when I got home, there was a burning smell coming from the engine.
Coolant level looks fine, and it had a full service in April!
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. How about the burning smell? It’s been parked up now over 2hrs and I can still smell it if I sniff the gap between the bonnet and front wing 😖

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the same. Rear Oil seal was leaking. Ridiculous cost to drop the engine and remove gearbox to get at it. Also had the burning you describe a number of times. First time was a faulty webasto (can’t imagine that is the case in June) second was a stuck swirl flap and the motor burning itself out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a leak in my CRCA engine that they thought was a rear main bearing seal... engine removed and the leak was traced to the bolts attaching the flywheel, seems that they are drilled into an oil journal and was leaking past the threads -- no sealant or thread lock was evident on the bolt threads - sealed and reassembled no more leak -- the rear main seal was changed at the same time apparently there is a Toyota seal that fits and is chaper as well as more reliable -- total Km was 143,000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts