Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have had my 55 V10 Treg for just over a week and was hoping someone could shed some light on the following intermittent prob?

Occasionally when using kickdown (seems to happen only in D not S) there is a pretty violent 'clunk' from below before the box engages and pull forward, I have tried to reproduce it in different situations but it seems retty random i.e load, speed or gear do not seem to be related. Have let the dealer know and they said they would have a look but would like some pointers if possible. The car has covered 34K of which I have done 500 miles, it has happened about 4 times now! It's not a nice sound! There is still warranty available so would like to get it sorted if there is a mech problem. I have reset the box using the instructions on this forum but it appears to make no difference to this particular issue. Also not sure if its me box the treg box seems to have a mind of is own sometimes, haven't driven many autos but it does seem to behave a bit strangley sometimes in terms of up and downshifts and also the smoothness seems to vary even when cruising.

Any help or advice much appreciated,

Ross.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2.5 but it only happened at slow speeds in D (works fine in S) - it's as if the gearbox forgets to change gear then all of a sudden it just jumps into gear causing an almighty clunk as if the gearbox is going to fall out

The techie at my local garage reckoned it was a symptom of a broken intercooler pipe (which did indeed give up the ghost), and that it should disappear when the pipe was fixed - now the pipe is fixed, it seems to be a much less violent clunk but I can still feel it, so I wonder if it's more a problem with a valve in the gearbox.....
:

I'm going to take it to the garage and see what happens when I get chance as I'm still not happy with it

Let me know if you get any further

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Wasn't sure whether to post an update in here or the transmission drive train thread, but I do have an update re my clunky V10!

The car was in at Caffyns in Eastbourne (who incidentally have been first class - Clive the senior Tech and Ross on service have been great throughout) to try and sort this clunk out. It only happens from 5th->4th at 40mph but the box does feel a bit 'jerky' throughout. After performing a service, wheel alignment and a few other bits and bobs, Clive could not reproduce the problem (I had demo'd it to him on a test drive). I took the car away and all seemed well, but about 3 days later and about 1K miles later it happened again! It was at this point I managed to reproduce the issue consistenly every time by making a note of the speed and gear etc when the problem occured.

Anyways I called them up and let them know and they were very apologetic, and arranged to book in to run some more diags before contacting VW again. The car went in, diags came back clean, and Volkswagen were informed. Volkswagen got back and apparently stated that the manafacturing process for the Valve Chest was changed three months after my car was built ('55), so Caffyns have been given the go ahead to change the valve chest and are confident that this will solve the problem. As an aside VW have apparently just issued a TPL (?) for this problem (can anyone verify?)and the details state that it can cause heavy downshifts especially under load, the symptoms seem to manifest themselves around 40K Miles (my car has covered 38K but has been doing it for about 2K miles). hopefully this info will help anyone else with similar issues, before any warrantly cover has expired!

Regards,

Ross.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Interesting - I've just been quoted ?1400 to have the valve chest replaced

Mine started at 63,000 miles and I'm now out of warranty :x

Do these recalls only apply under warranty?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Not sure if they apply under warrantly only, I didn't ask as mine was still within warranty, but it may be worth a call to the dealer. In my opinion if the problem lies with a manfacturing fault as suggested, then the affected item should be covered and replaced irrespective of warranty.

Ross.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi
I had this problem a few times in the past. The one customer describes it sounds and almost feel like you have just driven though a pothole , and another reackon it sounds like a complete broken gearbox or engine mounting. The noise does travel through the whole body a bit whitch make it sounds worse than it realey is.

a New valvebody will sort that problem. And yes there is a builiten out from VW about this specific fault , but they are not going to pay for this if your car is out with warrenty. A new valvebody does cost about 850 - 950 pounds + vat and labour.

The only other thing the dealer can do is to see if they can get some VW good will warrenty on it. Good will warrenty only pay for parts or some of the cost of the parts ie. 50% or 75% or 80% of the price of the part. The rest and labour is yours. Its better than the whole wack I suppose.

Some dealers are funny about doing this if you havn't bought the car from them, in whitch case you just have to pickup the phone and call ( 999
)luxury customer care 0845 8508585 option 2 and see what they can do.

D

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Nice one

I'll see what the garage say

I don't hold up much hope but its worth a try

·
Registered
20 Posts
mjstubley said:
Interesting - I've just been quoted ?1400 to have the valve chest replaced

Mine started at 63,000 miles and I'm now out of warranty :x

looks like i have same problem!!!

68.000 km Treg 2.5 TipTronic out of warranty since april 2008
....i am going to let them check this valvebody hopefully....ciao.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Thought everyone would like an update on this saga....since it's so bleedin quiet on here at the mo

My wife ended up speaking to VW UK to see if they would contribute anything to the cost of the valve chest work, seeing as we have been trying to get this diagnosed since 63,000 miles and it is a manufacturing issue.

Well.......VW UK have agreed to pay 65% of the cost - means I still need to pay ?480 but a darned sight better than the ?1400 incl. labour that I was originally going to have to pay.

Basically breaks down to VW paying for the part, me paying for the labour - I can live with that.

Car goes in next Thursday - so I'll let you know how it goes.

As an aside, I tried to get an R32 as a courtesy car because, as the R50 Day wallahs will know, I'm seriously interested in buying one, and VW are offering ?3500 off list price if you buy b4 the end of September (and are likely to have the same deal in October).

The Performance Car salesman, resplendant in acne and a GTI bodywarmer had never heard of the R50 Day and never seen an R50, but slagged the Treg off to high heaven :roll: so we got off to a bad start straight away

Things went downhill when I said I didn't want to buy before the end of September using VW Finance

And to finish the deal off, he said VW don't allow performance cars out for full day unsupervised test drives in case the car is used to turn up at a weddings or posh do's. Cheeky little $hit.

So well done JCT - you will be the last place I look to buy my next car

I have never been so offended. VW just have no clue how to deal with someone looking to spend serious cash on a car.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Stubs,they obviously didn't know you were telemetrically superb.

And you being a modest kind of guy didn't tell them

Although you've told everyone else

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same with my 06 3.0 V6 but at 55k and valve chest replaced all under warranty. Sounds like a problem they should be fixing for free!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
mjstubley said:
valve changed last week (10 days waiting spare part from DE with A4 2.0 tdi multitronic for free
) now i am waiting to know what i should pay (car is already back).... the owner of the showroom is in discussion with the Czech importer.....cross fingers!!

ciao.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Finally had the valve chest replaced on thursday - I now seem to have a fully functioning gearbox again......fingers crossed

I ended up paying ?480, and got a 3.0 v6 for the day so can't really grumble on a car 12 months and 12,000 miles out of warrenty

Wasn't too pleased about the phonecall from the service manager half way through the morning advising all 4 tyres need replacing and that I need a new wing mirror because the indicator is knackered on the mirror damaged by the DVLA spy van the other month

Checked the tyres when I got home, and non was worse than 5mm of tread, and the indicator worked fine

He tried the same thing last time when I took the car in for its MOT and passed (when he took the liberty of authorising a reloading of the ECU without my permission, costing ?86 I wasn't expecting
)

Buyer Beware, as they say on e-Bay :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
mjstubley said:
Finally had the valve chest replaced on thursday - I now seem to have a fully functioning gearbox again......fingers crossed

I ended up paying ?480, and got a 3.0 v6 for the day so can't really grumble on a car 12 months and 12,000 miles out of warrenty

they called today that importer will pay 50% of the bill

ciao.

Enzo.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Good news Rocher

It's so nice having a gearbox that works again isn't it?!

·
Registered
20 Posts
mjstubley said:
Good news Rocher

It's so nice having a gearbox that works again isn't it?!
hope hope hope.........but after this problem what i can only say is :

cross fingers!!!!

ciao.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts