and now we have no pressure reading on the gauge
could this be a sensor or something as the car turned over fine and runs ok
its a 2.5 tdi

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Are you going by the guage on the car.?
If so it's an oil temperature guage.
If you are going by this guage you will notice the oil temp rises after a few minutes.
If you are going by some other guage...help!
But I think you'll find it's a common thing......I called out VW Assist a few days after getting my car for the same thing
Doh!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
If it is the oil temp gauge as nimrod has said it takes a while before it starts creeping up. A bit dependent on how cold it is. During winter I would have done 3-5 mls before the gauge starts climbing up.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that
he was having a bit of a DOH!!! moment himself
PHEW!!
THANKS AGAIN

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
toe rag said:
thanks for that
he was having a bit of a DOH!!! moment himself
PHEW!!
THANKS AGAIN
Toe rag,
It actually fooled the VW Assist man as well!
He checked all the pressures out on his computer and still couldn't understand why my guage was showing 0.
After about an hour and a call to VW it dawned on us that it was a temp guage.
Easy mistake to make when it's all new to you.

G

·
Hilarious! I was trying to think of a solution till I read on!! Just shows how rational thought goes out of the window in a crisis.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I made the same mistake 5 minutes after picking the car up from the dealer! For one cold moment I thought I'd bought a dud until I realsied my error!

I don't know if this applies to the Treg, but there have been cases where people have done their own oil and filter changes and used a cheap filter that doesn't have a non-return valve which allows the oil to drain back and lets the engine run dry on start up.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
If doing a DIY oil change fill the new filter before screwing it on. Helps avoid initial starvation (the car not you) the first time you fire it up afterwards.

Alasdair

1 - 8 of 8 Posts