Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered offt the internet 4 Pirelli Scorpio Verdi tyres for my Tourareg. They for whatever reason got held up in customs for 10 days. Well they arrived this afternoon.
You dont realise how big they are untill you see them all stacked together.
My local VW dealer will fit them for me for £15 a corner. I thought that was a very good price. I paid £ 20 a corner for the last set of tyres I had fitted on my previous car a few years ago.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I ordered offt the internet 4 Pirelli Scorpio Verdi tyres for my Tourareg. They for whatever reason got held up in customs for 10 days. Well they arrived this afternoon.
My local VW dealer will fit them for me for £15 a corner. I thought that was a very good price. I paid £ 20 a corner for the last set of tyres I had fitted on my previous car a few years ago.
Can I ask what mileage you got from your last set? I’m on 23000 mile and on around 4mm so won’t be too long before I have to shell out

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is 25.000 miles and about 1 m/m off the wear bar.. I swoped front to back : etc" a while ago to balence out the overall wear. Doing that probably has given me a few thousand more miles..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cheers Ed, we are about the same. My tyre wear has been even all round. Probably get new set for autumn.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you replacing like for like, or any reason for change? I had the Pirelli Verdi on tiguans and they were good tyres. Been on Goodyear Eagle F1’s from new, and can’t fault them so am happy to continue with the same. Better the devil you know I suppose. Be interested on others usage / reviews. Don’t do much off road, more soft road when the need arises. Live in Norfolk so mainly A and B, but like to explore when in highlands etc.motorways haven’t been invented here, keeps the buggers out, which suits me.
Be interested on what you paid, I’m looking at £140-£150 a tyre from basic internet research

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I put Pirelli Scorpion Verdi back on. As like for like. As you said better the devil you know.
These tyres do what I want them to do. As to road grip I dont drive that fast any more. As to snow driving. We dont get that much snow round here anyway.
Cost. I bought then online from Mytyres.com I have used them on previous cars.
With a promotional discount code I got 5% off ( not a great amount. But better than nothing).
They cost me £918. for the four. Plus VW will fit them for me for £15 a corner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes. I put Pirelli Scorpion Verdi back on. As like for like. As you said better the devil you know.
These tyres do what I want them to do. As to road grip I dont drive that fast any more. As to snow driving. We dont get that much snow round here anyway.
Cost. I bought then online from Mytyres.com I have used them on previous cars.
With a promotional discount code I got 5% off ( not a great amount. But better than nothing).
They cost me £918. for the four. Plus VW will fit them for me for £15 a corner.
Cheers Ed, thought that was a little steep until I noted your model! You must be on 20/21” which certainly hikes the cost up. Mine runs on 19’s which suits.. Thanks for info.

Reactions: Ed Taylor

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
Can’t fault Goodyear Eagle F1 SUV for standard road use. My first set got me to 48k miles in 5 years and currently on almost 72k with lots of life left 👍

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can’t fault Goodyear Eagle F1 SUV for standard road use. My first set got me to 48k miles in 5 years and currently on almost 72k with lots of life left 👍
That is good to know. Think I may be bit premature with change. Mine haven’t really moved since last service, and I’ve had a road trip to southern Spain since. I’ll just have to keep an eye on them, but very impressed with your figures.

Reactions: Cass

·
Chairman
20,402 Posts
I do wish people would give tread depths when talking tyre wear!

I bin tyres at 50% worn which is usually at about 4 mm when tyre performance starts to fall off the proverbial cliff.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
can I ask at what tyre depth you changed please. I’m currently on just over 4mm all round, and when I read that tyres fall off a cliff at 4mm I’m rather surprised that a tyre will do this at half its life. This is the first car I’ve owned long enough to re shoe, and want to keep it years. Not afraid to put new on at 24,000 mile, but don’t want to throw money away needlessly.

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
can I ask at what tyre depth you changed please. I’m currently on just over 4mm all round, and when I read that tyres fall off a cliff at 4mm I’m rather surprised that a tyre will do this at half its life. This is the first car I’ve owned long enough to re shoe, and want to keep it years. Not afraid to put new on at 24,000 mile, but don’t want to throw money away needlessly.
About 3mm 👍

·
731 Posts
Nooby is normally correct when it comes to tyres, (said through gritted teeth:D).

When I first joined this forum I assumed that I should just run tyres to wear meter and didn't focus much on the technology. Having taken much more interest over the last few years, influenced by Nooby's posts, I don't penny pinch on the the only thing that connects me to the road.

Having invested in a winter set was revelational and didn't cost any extra over the years. In my 92k miles, I've had 2 summer sets and 2 winter sets. So averaged over 25k per set, replacing before 3mm on summers and 4mm+ on winters.

Definitely think long term. Consider what car costs given depreciation, running costs etc and review how much "saving" will be made in running tyres at sub-optimal performance. I know you are not suggesting you will.

I've maybe just become more cautious with the appearance of grey hairs 🤣🤣

Xila

1 - 15 of 15 Posts