Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good deal on tyres. Just ordered on the net 4 x Toyo Proxes s/t 275x45x19y fully fitted locally 483.92 including the .va.t even Camskill and Event couldn't get near this price being dispatched tomorrow direct to the fitting company, so should be fitted Thursday..i'll let you all know how it goes.

steve

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
It would be a help to know who you ordered from!

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tyres were sourced from Tyretraders.com you buy them on-line and look through there fitting centre list for one near you. Mine was a local tyre fitter and even they couldn't match the price. The tyres are due for fitting tomorrow so i'll update once there on.

steve

·
29 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just paid ?300 for two General UHP's fully fitted by Grand Prix Tyres here in Belfast, a friendly professional dealer!! A little more expensive than the tyres you've chosen so be good to post again when we've all completed 10k miles. PLEASE NOTE - I have been ignoring tyre pressures but am going to try and pay attention to this and add a couple of PSI each time I know I've ne carrying a heavier load and drop them down again when done.. it will all help with the goal to get 20k out of these tyres .. PS - Ideciced to order the rears as well so I'll get the full benefit at a cost of ?600...

·
41 Posts
Hi

I to have just paid ?300 for 2 General Grabber UHP's, fitted, balenced etc. I have put theses on the front and moved the 7mm remaining tyres to the back, as my treg tech says fronts wear more.

This has also cured a niggle i had, old rears were 6.5mm and 3mm and now and again would get a sort of "clonking" good technical term or what?? now tyre wear is balanced no more clonk, thought at one point it was diff, solinoids etc, just showes how critical tyes wear is on the treg.

PS have just treated myself to a private number plate V10 *** anyone sees a black V10 Altitude in Devon, it might be me!!

Daz

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Thanks for the post about uneven tyres.

One wouldn't have though the difference was enough for the car to notice but clearly it was!

·
29 Posts
4 UHP's ... new back tyres now fitted also so here's to "testing" the value, performance and mileage for many thousands of miles to come.

G

·
I've just had 4 new General Grabber UHP's fitted too. They cost ?575 for four fully balanced and fitted inc. vat from my local garage (non VW). They look great but more importantlyu they feel very nice to drive on. Slightly less road noise but I currently have a roof box which is not great for wind noise. Thanks to all on this forum for recommending them. A good decision me thinks.

·
49 Posts
Just replaced all four tyres with UHPs, original price quoted was ?480.00 fitted and balanced,at my local Hi Q fitting station, got them down to ?460.00, then printed off the price for four UHPs from event tyres (?419.80) to show them and they matched it, result

·
83 Posts
steve.l said:
Tyres were sourced from Tyretraders.com you buy them on-line and look through there fitting centre list for one near you. Mine was a local tyre fitter and even they couldn't match the price. The tyres are due for fitting tomorrow so i'll update once there on.

steve
Hi Steve, any update?

·
118 Posts
I need 2 new front tyres and after reading this thread I went to the tyretraders web site and was pleasently surprised at the prices.
I ordered and paid for 2 new tyres and they are due for fitting at a local centre tommorow .So far seems a very good service I will post an update tommorow.

·
118 Posts
Just had the tyres fitted and cannot fault the service.As I pulled into the carpark the fitter came out to me as he was expecting me and saw me arrive,they took the car straight in and 2 fitters did the tyres(without damaging the wheels unlike a previous experience and another company!).They asked if I wanted my wheel alignment checked which to be fair I expected as they probably need to upsell to make up for not selling the tyres, the alignment was out and so adjusted and I now also have a perfectly aligned steering wheel which even vw couldn't sort out for me so all in all I am very happy and will use tyretraders next time.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
That's a good report. Who was the local fitter?

·
118 Posts
The company were STS in Banbury.When you place your order your postcode gives a selection of companies in your area and you just choose your preffered option,to be honest they only list the road at which they are situated at this point its not until your payment has gone through and you get confirmation of your order that they tell you the tyre companies name so it helps to have some local knowledge of which roads your preffered fitters are situated on.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Ah, yes, Stapletons. Very good firm.

·
8 Posts
Hi, I am a new member, found the site while looking for new tyres. VW dealer advise Bridgestones. My local tyre dealer (Christchurch Tyres) can do them (255/55/109Y) for ?151, but has suggested General Grabber UHP's at ?103. From what I can see on this site, I think I will give the Grabbers a go. My old Continentals have gone at 13,000. I have a 3.0V6 TDI SE by the way. Another point I would like to make, is that while VW advocate 109Y's, I have noticed on the tyre pressure chart stuck to the edge of the driver's door, the tyres quoted there are - 255.55/109V's ! So the Grabbers at 109W are within spec.

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
A lot of us are on Grabbers,don't remember seeing a bad comment yet.
They are a very versatile tyre,on and off road,quite a few of us have ragged them on VW Unlimited Days and been surprised that a road tyre is so good offroad as well.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Grabber UHPs now done over 10K with 6mm still left [started with 8mm].

1 - 20 of 22 Posts