Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the tyres replaced on the Treg. (General Grabber UHPs fitted).
Guess what?
Now no clunk at low speed from the gear box.

My next step was to replace the "solenoid valve chest" if the clunk was still their.
However after about 800miles, since new tyres, no clunk.
Anybody explain this? I am sure new tyres have not "fixed" the solenoid whotsit - so what has happened?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Could it be a wheel that is not sitting flat against the hub (cross-threaded) or a wheel nut coming loose?

Many - many years ago I had a Montego (please dont laugh) which came with plastic wheel trims- one day on my way home I noticed a strange cluncking noise and a faint grinding noise- when I got home I removed the wheel trim and found 2 of the four wheel nuts had come off and were rolling around inside the wheel trim. :shock:

Cas

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Cas said:
Could it be a wheel that is not sitting flat against the hub (cross-threaded) or a wheel nut coming loose?

Many - many years ago I had a Montego (please dont laugh) which came with plastic wheel trims- one day on my way home I noticed a strange cluncking noise and a faint grinding noise- when I got home I removed the wheel trim and found 2 of the four wheel nuts had come off and were rolling around inside the wheel trim. :shock:

Cas

Not laughing......honest!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
banbury said:
Had the tyres replaced on the Treg. (General Grabber UHPs fitted).
Guess what?
Now no clunk at low speed from the gear box.

My next step was to replace the "solenoid valve chest" if the clunk was still their.
However after about 800miles, since new tyres, no clunk.
Anybody explain this? I am sure new tyres have not "fixed" the solenoid whotsit - so what has happened?
I notice from your other post in the wheels section that you had different tyres on the rear from the front. My guess is that there might have been a significant difference in the diameters of the two different manufacturers, even though they are nominally of the same size. If that was the case, it could lead to transmission "wind-up" which would manifest itself as a periodic clunk as the tyres slipped as the transmission unwound itself. It would be most noticeable at low speed.

Hope no permanent damage done

·
34 Posts
The transmission "wind-up" seems to explain the "clunk". The tyres *were* all over the place with regards to tyre wear. The fronts were quite even but the rears were different. One rear tyre replaced - since discovered that they should be replaced in pairs.
Everything seems much better now so now only wish I had replaced the tyres sooner...
p.s. Cas - I did check the wheel nuts after your post. Thankfully all still tight!

·
1,307 Posts
Cas, i had a montego estate!!! what a top car!!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I had a brown Montego ... I loved it.

·
Elite Member
2,327 Posts
hate to admit it but after our 1st child 17yrs agotraded my nissan silvia in for a rover 820i fastback , this was my final act of motoring woe before i went german , i,ve never lost as much money so fast as i did with the rover
the final insult = went to trade it for a bmw325sport & the garage would,nt even accept it as a trade in ! lost £6k in 19months ,

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Ahhh, now you're talking: Nissan Sylvia!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts