Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi All

My Pirelli Zero's are about done, 8k, so not overly impressed!

I'm looking at replacements, but as my car is a company lease, tyre changes have to go through ATS....they offer Pirelli, which I have politely declined.

My wheels are 19inch, so tyres are 275/45/R19 with a spped/weight of 108Y. They are telling me that General Grabber UHP have a speed/weight rating of 108V and I need an Y rating, so they aren't appropriate for my car....and they dont think they can get them anyway as really tough to get hold of right now

Hankook Vertus they tell me are 8-9 weeks delivery.

Help, any ideas or suggestions.....are the Toyo Proxes ST's not as hard wearing, and what about a Continental X-Contact UHP, anyone had any experience with those or others they can add a word of wisdom or two on!

Cheers!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I too was "warned off" of the Grabbers by various tyre fitters due to the speed rating. I rang my insurers and they said that as long as the tyres were designed to go on the rims and provided the correct final drive ratio (i.e. correct section) it didn't affect my policy. So, your biggest issue is finding the Grabbers as they're on back order (a fitter in my neck of the woods just about managed to scrape 4 together but nobody else could). The Hankooks are the same - they are all in Korea at the moment being shipped in the next few days.

Here's tireracks customer survey on 4x4 road tyres http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=SST

Even though, with some difficulty, I could get the Grabbers, I plumped for the Continental CrossContact UHP, - first impressions: they look good on the rim, they have a wear ratio of 420 compared to the Grabbers 360. I haven't done very many miles yet but so far fingers crossed...

I'll let you know

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I replied but it needs a mod to approve it apparently

In the meantime, see my last few posts on my thread Contis or Bridgestones for more discussion on said topic.

Chris

·
180 Posts
Try Falken STZ01. I have had them on mine since August and have covered 8000 miles on them. They are barely showing any signs of wear yet, and the grip, handling and road noise is just as good as it was on the original bridgestones. And they were brilliant in the snow, and it was 14 inches deep here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts