Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
580 Posts
It's not EU/UK law that restricts noseweights, but it seems common in EU/UK for noseweight to be limited to 4% of the towing limit, which is a EU/UK minimum. The Aussies and Americans run heavier caravans AND expect higher noseweight (tongueweight) %, typically 10%. Early versions of Touareg had a 350 kg limit out there but reduced to 280 kg on the T4 - compared to 140 kg limit on Touaregs sold in EU/UK.

Most caravans sold in EU/UK have a 100kg limit applied to their hitch anyway.
I could have sworn I'd read it was down to legislation but now I look I can't find anything.
Wonder if there's a design difference between the Auz/US tow hitches and spring ratings and EU's. Or it's simply a stated rating change, as (as you say) our vans have lower max nose weights?

· Chairman
13,572 Posts

· Registered
580 Posts
3tonne van. Sounds like that guy is towing a house

· Registered
580 Posts
Sensibly they are talking in kg, so tonne.
I'd questing the accuracy of the measurements taken on his driveway. It would only need to be slightly off level to tip the balance.
Gross rear axle weight seems to vary depending on the engine. My 210kW is rated at 1,480kg. The 310kW (v8) is 1500kg. If he's stating 1450kg he must have the 190kw model.

Looking closer at his figures.

Gross vehicle weighed at 2652kg.
Kerb weight for the 190kw model is 1965kg. I believe this kerb weight includes 75kg for a driver and the weight of an 80% full tank of fuel (according to a poster on the Tclub forum. not ratified!)
He's a 280kg tongue weight

=407kg

With all due respect, how big is his wife!!!

IF the poster's measurements are accurate, I could easily take my rear axle load beyond 1480kg with the van, the guff I pack in the boot, kids etc...

Out of interest, what's the gross axle weights on the earlier models?

· Registered
580 Posts
From the good old owners manual

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

So a 90% full tank is allowed in the kerb weight +75kg for the driver..
Being generous, lets say his car being an Aussie launch edition has a fair few optional extras adding say 100kg
Being kind, lets say the Mrs weighs in at 50kg

We've an unexplained weight of 257kg somewhere in his car. That's quite a lot of luggage!

Attachments

· Registered
2018, R Line Tech
2 Posts
That's a good read and is pretty much the same as my car but steering still feels assured.
This is completely anecdotal but someone made a comment recently on a thread I started on the Caravan Club forum about towing with a Treg on air suspension or steel springs. I started it before I bought my T5.
The poster's comment was about his Treg on coil springs and rear end sag. Sagging to the point that it lifted the nose of the car so much the front radar is out of tolerance and as a consequence ACC is disabled.
Like I said it's anecdotal. I personally found it hard to believe a trailer with a 100kg tongue weight would make a Treg sag that much..
I have a 2018 R Line Tech and tow a Buccaneer Commodore, with tow ball weight of 140kg and every now and then if i hit a bump and it bounces slightly, then the ACC lights all come on for the rest of the trip. Once the Van is off and after about 60 miles, the lights go off.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts