Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

I ordered a Touareg Black Edition in October and the lead time very quickly went from 24 weeks, to 40 weeks to 40+ weeks.

I chased the supplying dealer last week, who confirmed my factory slot is in build week 41 (10th-16th October) so I'm not expecting the new car much before December (this will be about 14 months from Order > Delivery!)

Quite the difference to the 2 months from order > delivery at the back end of 2019 for the current Touareg I have.

My Question - does anyone know when the model year changes for the Touareg? I'm worried that with such a lengthy delay we'll move into the next model year and that standard specifications may change. The worry is that that things that are standard on the spec that we have on order drop off (as has been seen throughout the industry with things like 360 cameras etc in light of the semiconductor shortage.)

Thanks all,

TCG

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,837 Posts
The model year normally changes during the August factory shutdown - my 2016 model year Touareg was built in Early September 2015.

With delays being caused by world-wide chip shortage the big risk of specification change is decontenting which several manufacturers are resorting to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The model year normally changes during the August factory shutdown - my 2016 model year Touareg was built in Early September 2015.

With delays being caused by world-wide chip shortage the big risk of specification change is decontenting which several manufacturers are resorting to.
That's useful info, thanks.

When do VW generally publish what the following year specification changes will be? Much before Aug?

I ordered via an online broker so assume I am covered by distance selling regs as have never visited the supplying main dealer in person - and could therefore cancel without penalty, but long delays are the norm at the mo and no-one else seems to be offering 0% Finance or such large discounts.

Fingers crossed the semiconductor supply issue will improve rather than get worse and the MY change is a positive thing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's useful info, thanks.

When do VW generally publish what the following year specification changes will be? Much before Aug?

I ordered via an online broker so assume I am covered by distance selling regs as have never visited the supplying main dealer in person - and could therefore cancel without penalty, but long delays are the norm at the mo and no-one else seems to be offering 0% Finance or such large discounts.

Fingers crossed the semiconductor supply issue will improve rather than get worse and the MY change is a positive thing.
If you have a contract with the broker/dealer for a specific spec of car then that is what should be delivered to you irrespective of any change VW make to their standard specs I'd have thought. If they change the spec then they are not abiding by your contract which gives you the right of redress.

·
Super Moderator
12,498 Posts
It’s a difficult market at the moment with new vehicle build delays being in a global problem. New orders are likely to be up to 12 months, dependant in build slots and specification. As you have already stated, you might find that not all the current specifications or your options might be fitted to the car (I have a mate who ordered a new BMW X5 Hybrid which was built in the US, shipped to Germany for quality checks and then delivered to the UK dealer - it was missing a couple of options due to the unavailability of semiconducto/key components).

With the Touareg, based upon the build history of the Generation 1 and Generation 2 versions, there is likely to be a mid-model facelift 4-5 years after the model launch date. The Generation 3 first came out in late 2018 (September) so you could be looking at September 2022 (or even 2023) but it’s too soon to expect an announcement from VW about this.

You would need to speak to your broker about delivery dates, as it’s possible that their preferred dealer might get an earlier build slot due to a cancelled order or from additional slots released by VW. Production numbers might increase and component shortages might be overcome but there is no guarantee that this will happen.

As with any manufacturer, VW reserve the right to change/amend the advertised specification at any time and that’s something you can’t legislate for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like the wait is only going to increase.

Ordered October 2021, and was given an October 2022 build week.

Letter from VW this week through the post saying that ongoing semiconductor Issues + additional supply issues due to Ukraine/Russia means additional uncertainty.

Contacted my dealer who advise that the October 2022 build week has now been removed from my order and there is no slot currently scheduled for it.

·
Chairman
13,491 Posts
Just buy something else.

·
Chairman
13,491 Posts
Get a real 4x4.

Ineos Grenadier!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not sure the situation is a great deal better with other cars...

0% Finance and £10k discount on the Touareg made it much more affordable than alternatives too!
This is exactly the position I'm in. Enormous discount and 0% finance vs. delay and everything else that I'm interested in offering no meaningful discount and cruddy finance terms. Just need something significant to go wrong with my current car and my world will be complete.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is exactly the position I'm in. Enormous discount and 0% finance vs. delay and everything else that I'm interested in offering no meaningful discount and cruddy finance terms. Just need something significant to go wrong with my current car and my world will be complete.
@Wookiee Yep. Exactly. I do not want to own my current Touareg outside of warranty - which expires at the end of Oct. It looks like I may have no choice unless we see if we can live on just my wife's company car for a while.

Finance is the killer - some rates are up at around 4-6% now, some as high as 6.9%. Each percentage point on the finance for my Touareg Black Ed is £27 per month. That makes just about everything that is anywhere near comparable significantly more expensive.

I believe that since ordering the Touareg not only has the price gone up, the 0% has disappeared and it's now 5.2%.

First world problems and we're lucky to have these issues to deal with I guess, but a stark difference to when I ordered my current car - signing the order to being delivered was 2 months (and that was factory, not stock!)

·
Registered
482 Posts
@Wookiee Yep. Exactly. I do not want to own my current Touareg outside of warranty - which expires at the end of Oct. It looks like I may have no choice unless we see if we can live on just my wife's company car for a while.

Finance is the killer - some rates are up at around 4-6% now, some as high as 6.9%. Each percentage point on the finance for my Touareg Black Ed is £27 per month. That makes just about everything that is anywhere near comparable significantly more expensive.

I believe that since ordering the Touareg not only has the price gone up, the 0% has disappeared and it's now 5.2%.

First world problems and we're lucky to have these issues to deal with I guess, but a stark difference to when I ordered my current car - signing the order to being delivered was 2 months (and that was factory, not stock!)
At this rate new internal combustion engines will be illegal in the UK before yours is built!

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Chairman
13,491 Posts
A good claim to 4x4 fame!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Looks very much like a great British success story in the making.
I await a road test review..

·
Registered
39 Posts

I had a video message today saying that I was confirmed for build week 13 (pretty much now?) but that they wouldn't get too excited until its actually built and they know it's going on a boat! I'll believe it when I see it...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts