Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
Dealers never wanted the Touareg (or the Phaeton) 20+ years ago!

And that has never changed.

They simply want to sell hundreds of little tin boxes on which they make more money out of upselling finance and add-on products like bodywork and upholstery protection than the car itself!

At the outset there were dedicated dealers but there was nearly always a deal going for £5,000 off (and more if you caught things right at month end).

The Touareg and the Phaeton, suitably upgraded and more pricey, should both have been Bentley entry models.

· Registered
580 Posts
It's a shame but at least in your case it's something you can live without.

The "equivalent" X5 and GLE just don't have the bootspace of the Treg by some margin, so they're both straight off my list. Unless I went for an X7 or GLS but they're un-practically large.

I don't like the XC90 much but on a practical tip, if I want to go hybrid and have 7 seats, it's the only real option currently. If I just want 7 seats then the Q7 and Disco are in the ring...

· Registered
27 Posts
But VW do sell the Touareg and they should stand by it, and hold their hands up for the engineering cock ups!

X5 and GLE : Various disadvantages for me. I too need the boot space. Also I don't really want the badges: many of my clients don't notice a VW but would notice a "premium" badge. I don't run a flash office either.

XC90 : My son in law has one. He is not over-chuffed having looked at the Touareg, but he had to have seven seats. I'm still not convinced about the longevity of 2 litre engines in 2 tonne cars when you keep a car for a lot of miles. Sounds busy! Poor tow capacity; still need 3 tonnes. Poor economy.

Didn't want seven seats either: prefer having the space for other things. Just bought a two belt motorhome; that is all I need 95% of the miles.

Land Rover: I would like to be sitting a bit higher but not on the back of a tow truck!

· Lifelong Motorhead
2,865 Posts
Dealers never wanted the Touareg (or the Phaeton) 20+ years ago!

And that has never changed.

They simply want to sell hundreds of little tin boxes on which they make more money out of upselling finance and add-on products like bodywork and upholstery protection than the car itself!

At the outset there were dedicated dealers but there was nearly always a deal going for £5,000 off (and more if you caught things right at month end).

The Touareg and the Phaeton, suitably upgraded and more pricey, should both have been Bentley entry models.
Or even an Audi Q model, sized between Q5 and Q7

· Registered
580 Posts
Also I don't really want the badges: many of my clients don't notice a VW but would notice a "premium" badge. I don't run a flash office either.
This is exactly where the Treg sits in the VAG lineup. Premium vehicle without the showy premium badge. The "left-field" choice as some motoring journalists have tagged it.
Was another deciding factor for me and Mrs.

But totally agree - if they sell it, they should be able to support it!

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
In the US, of course, it was the left in a field choice (for over 2 years I think!).

· Registered
580 Posts
Seems to have followed with being one of the fastest selling used cars in 2021 according to Auto Trader in the US.
Utterly crazy they no longer sell it over there..

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
They have their own US made replacement, some piece of shite called an Atlas and, apparently, sold elsewhere as the Teramont.

· Registered
580 Posts
Seen reviews of it. Based on the golf chassis isn't it!

· Registered
483 Posts
"The case that is proven beyond all reasonable doubt is that VW customer service stinks and their dealers certainly don't know this car well enough."

LOL! I share your view! I would never dream of buying another VW simply becasue of the dealers!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts