Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll undoubtedly report on many ramblings between my old 2015 7P and this 2019 SEL

First observation is that it’s got a 75 litre tank;

Just filled, the light came on so assume maybe 10l left in; said 85 miles range

It took 84.50 litres 😂

PR codes and data sheet say 75 litre tank so either this has the 90 litre tank in or it’s got a massive expansion area that I’ve filled up

Up to now it’s proving to be much more economical. My commute has gone from 5 miles to 100 miles a day so it will be useful. I could have got a normal car but we all like Touaregs…..

· Registered
580 Posts
Pictures :)

You've deffo got the 90L tank. Mine takes between 80 and 85L when I fill up

· Registered
580 Posts
Very nice. Always had a soft spot for the SEL. Rides much better than the R-Line if you're on coil springs.

Assuming there was something left in the tank, 5 to 10L would give a range of 40 - 60ish miles, if you have a 75L tank I'm not sure the expansion area is that big. It might be... It's also not a good idea to go past the first click as you could very well end up pissing diesel over the road next time you go round a corner or the temp increases - because you're filling into the expansion area.
I've never gone past the first click and usually fill up with a 60 mile ish range.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i'd stopped at first click it would be 62l plus reserve (fuel light literally just came on); must be one hell of a long filler pipe!

Ride is great and seems softer than the Escape, but its younger too so that would help.

Economy up to now is the biggest difference

· Registered
580 Posts
If you do have the 75L tank, 62L would be about right if the light had just come on.

I find I get between 20 and 25mpg around town. Best I've managed on the motorway is 39mpg and towing 26ish
Quite impressive really..

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
What tyres?

· Registered
580 Posts
My 2019 R-Line Tech runs fantastically now I have put the 20" wheels in the shed and fitted 18" wheels sourced from Rader in Germany. Wafts along! Massive difference!
I bet it's made a big difference. Been tempted to drop my 21" to 20 or 19s but with air, it just about gets away with the 21s.
The SE and SEL have different suspension to the R-Line. Stiffer and lower on the R-Line so you lose some ground clearance and obvs wading depth.. and some waftability ...

Like to see a pic of yours on 18"

· Registered
27 Posts
I'm using the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons that came from Rader with the wheels. They seem very good on the road but my business hasn't taken me anywhere beyond farm tracks so far so I'm not sure I trust them much for anything too glutinous. I'm going to try a set of Grabbers when the Goodyears wear out, which won't be long.

On the Goodyears I am getting an indicated average of 42-43 mpg solo for most mileage (ca. 80% open road, 20% city) and about 30 towing a 2 tonne caravan. About 38 round town. The computer is about 1.5 to 1.8 mpg optimistic based on six brimmings so call it 40 for most of my driving, especially now the caravan has just been replaced with a motorhome. Figures based on 25,000 miles from car purchase last March.

I find the ride to be superbly smooth and quiet. You hear the potholes but don't often feel them. I am not a boy racer round corners and I come from a lifetime of Series Landys, Discos and a Shogun so I wouldn't notice nuances of handling too much! The R-Line is a rare one on coils, not air and yes, its a bit lower but I use a boat to go wading!

I've got a pristine set of 20" Nevadas in the shed if anybody wants them!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
In my experience Grabbers get noisy.

Michelin Latitude Cross proved to be way better in every respect.

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Nooby. Yes, we had this conversation last year. I certainly had problems with BFG KO's getting very noisy but I have run some three or more sets of Grabbers on previous vehicles with absolutely no noise problem, and also minimal effect on consumption, and they last me 80 -100,000 miles, but of course all cars are different. As I said, I am going to "try" the Grabbers, and we have another vehicle in the family that they will go on if I don't like them on the Touareg.

Do you use the Latitudes in mud though? My job sometimes takes me to some pretty remote spots across fields. So far with the Touareg (and the Goodyears) I have been lucky that it has not had anything very demanding to do beyond moderately muddy field tracks, but the day will come! The ideal car for my job is a new Defender, but they do a different sort of "off roading" (at the dealership!) and I am enjoying the economy of the Touareg!

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
My cars are off road every day come rain or shine and I never use low ratio, just point and squirt!

80 to 100K? WTF!! Or is that kilometres?!!

Never get past 35-40k tops but I bin tyres at 50% worn.

Forget the Defender.

Grenadier next!

· Registered
27 Posts
For 26+ years I had a string of 200Tdi, 300Tdi and TD5 Discoveries (over a million miles logged in Discos!), then six years in a Shogun. All ran most of their lives on BFG's or, more recently, Grabbers. The average tyre life was 80,000 to 100,000 MILES (excluding from the calculation the handful of tyres which where wrecked prematurely). I tend to change tyres at about 3mm, but earlier if winter is coming. I do tend to do a lot of long distance motorway work, which helps, but there is often a muddy field at the end!

A Grenadier seems too heavy on fuel now I have got used to the Touareg consumption, and I wouldn't buy one until they have been on the road for a few years to iron out the bugs! I made that mistake when I bought one of the very first Discoveries in 1989!

· Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for the pics. You've actually shown me them before, I now remember.. Get a bit forgetful sometimes.
They look really good. Only criticism would the the offset bringing them under the arches more. I think your R18 are ET25 vs R21 ET31. But that's me being a ponce.

I'm amazed at the mpg you're seeing. I'm far from the most frugal of drivers but even towing when I'm being my most sensible, I've never got close to 30mpg.

I sat in the back of a Disco1 in 1989 when my old man test drove one. He was doing around 50k a year driving up and down the counrty and got a new company car at 70k, which was about every year and a half. Good times! I was 14 and the test drive made me sick as a dog. So despite the Disco being perfect for dragging and launching the boat we had, and caravan (towing, not launching. Although some would like that !) .. the idea was shelved. Think we ended up with either a 3.0L Nissan QX (Maxima) or a 3.0L V6 Renault Safrane that time round. Both fantastic motorway armchairs but fairly boring cars .. I always regretted being car sick. I really liked the idea of the Disco!

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a 300TDi Disco 1, and I can say it was one of the best cars I ever had, and yet also one of the worst at the same time.

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the pics. You've actually shown me them before, I now remember.. Get a bit forgetful sometimes.
They look really good. Only criticism would the the offset bringing them under the arches more. I think your R18 are ET25 vs R21 ET31. But that's me being a ponce.

I'm amazed at the mpg you're seeing. I'm far from the most frugal of drivers but even towing when I'm being my most sensible, I've never got close to 30mpg.

I sat in the back of a Disco1 in 1989 when my old man test drove one. He was doing around 50k a year driving up and down the counrty and got a new company car at 70k, which was about every year and a half. Good times! I was 14 and the test drive made me sick as a dog. So despite the Disco being perfect for dragging and launching the boat we had, and caravan (towing, not launching. Although some would like that !) .. the idea was shelved. Think we ended up with either a 3.0L Nissan QX (Maxima) or a 3.0L V6 Renault Safrane that time round. Both fantastic motorway armchairs but fairly boring cars .. I always regretted being car sick. I really liked the idea of the Disco!
I can’t remember the exact figures but yes the offset is slightly less, perhaps 8 or 10mm, but as I do recall this reduces significantly when/if the Grabbers go on, or I suppose I could buy some spacers but to be honest I don’t notice the difference now.7

I don’t think I ever sat in the back of a Disco but the early ones did make people sick. I have a recollection of fitting a handling pack on the second one (I only had the first one a few months before I started petitioning LR to reject it: so many issues!) but the later ones did get better ’s were a lovely car. After that LR went downhill very rapidly.

Yes, I used to do the 50 k p.a. bit, up and down Holland and France, but I’m down to only about 35 now!

I don’t quite believe the mpg either, hence brimming the tank quite a few times to check. I am not at all slow, but quite steady. My wife knows when the Touareg’s ACC is on because it accelerates the car much more sharply than I do. I don’t use it a lot, partly because of that and partly because it only works half the time, but that is another story.

· Registered
580 Posts
I can’t remember the exact figures but yes the offset is slightly less, perhaps 8 or 10mm, but as I do recall this reduces significantly when/if the Grabbers go on, or I suppose I could buy some spacers but to be honest I don’t notice the difference now.7
I've never liked the idea of spacers. I'm sure you can get very good quality ones these days but seems like an unnecessary additional point of failure

I don’t use it a lot, partly because of that and partly because it only works half the time, but that is another story.
Sure we've talked about that before. If you've the prescribed software update already, then ACC failing just seems to be a function of towing with a T5 on coil springs. Which is piss poor frankly

· Registered
27 Posts
Wheel spacers : Agree, not keen on the idea of wheel spacers, and as I said the discrepancy doesn't bother me. I can't see the wheels when I am driving. KISS rules! The Grabbers (if I need to go that way) will be slightly wider.

ACC : I have almost lost count of how many times the car has been in to a dealer for attention to the ACC but all they do is faff around, recalibrate, extract more data and deprive me of the car for a couple of days every time. The software is (now) up to date. The issue is quite simply that VW fitted ACC to a coil sprung car without considering fitting a self-levelling platform for the sensor, but of course they won't admit that. The system still fails when I am towing one of my two larger trailers and also when I have a boot full of toolboxes, but I have just got rid of one of the trailers (caravan) which removes part of the problem and frankly I am so pleased with the rest of the car that I am just going to live with the ACC issue. I've looked again at the other contenders (Merc & BMW, not VAG!) but am underwhelmed and they have their own set of problems. Also, I am finding that I use the ACC less even when it is working because I think that I use a bit less fuel that way since as said it accelerates the car more fiercely than my soft foot. I also find that the speed limiter performs well enough to help protect my licence, and that works all the time. I'm sure the ACC sensor just needs winding down a turn, but at the moment I am experimenting by running on a little bit more tyre pressure than suggested when heavily laden, which might be helping but the jury is still out on that. I might fiddle with the sensor once the car is out of VW warranty.

The case that is proven beyond all reasonable doubt is that VW customer service stinks and their dealers certainly don't know this car well enough.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts