Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of Goodyear Goodyear Fortera TripleTred 255/55R-18 last week for one of our Touaregs. I put this auto version of the same tire recently on my sports car and they really gripp well, but a hard compound. Only H Speed Rated but plenty fast for us/our vehicles.

Very good mileage warranty, 60K or 70K depending on where you read.



http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...yr=2005&pc=30311&cf=false&vid=008457&sw=false

I just installed SUMOTOMO HTR on our other TREG to see lifespan comparatively. About 1/2 the wear rating as the GOODYEAR.

And Away We Go
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
Sounds good I wish they gave that kind of warranty here
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
Quote from the Goodyear site:

"Fortera TripleTred ? 60,000 Mile Treadlife Limited Warranty"

I reckon they'd sell these to just about every UK Treg owner with this kind of mileage warranty!!
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
Nimrod said:
60,000 miles.
I do about 7k per annum so they'd be on the car for 9 years!
I've seen several articles saying road tyres should be changed after 5 years due to the decomposition of the rubber compound.

As I've never had tyres last this long, it's never worried me!

But would others follow this guideline on a heavy 4x4 or high performance car?
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
3,415 Posts
Nooby,having tyres on a car for 9 years would really worry me.
I remember the old days when you used to see car tyres with cracks in from age.
I think this is why I'm going to go for Grabber UHP's rather than Hankooks when tyres are due.....Hankooks will outlive me!
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
Nimrod said:
Nooby,having tyres on a car for 9 years would really worry me.
I remember the old days when you used to see car tyres with cracks in from age.
I think this is why I'm going to go for Grabber UHP's rather than Hankooks when tyres are due.....Hankooks will outlive me!
As I'm only doing 6-8K per annum and fitted the Grabber UHPs I agree. I'm still VERY pleased with them - quiet, good grip on and off road, and a nice supple ride.

Do try www.event-tyres.co.uk when you're ready.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Just bought a 2.5 sport on 04 plate. It came with full service history details of when tyres were changed. It appears that the Bridgestones were lasting about 15 to 16 k. These Bridgestone 255.55.18s had a wear rating of 140!!. After reading the blog on tyre wear and speaking to tyre firms, you will always get a degree of shoulder wear on 4x4s with wide tread, body role and road friction increase with speed. The blog talks about Hakook VENTUS as being good alternatives. Totally agree, wear rating of 420!!!. The harder comound has almost eliminated shoulder wear, you will always get a little but a great compromise.... who needs sticky soft tyres on a 4 x4 !!!!.
Great blog, first time here andi'm impressed!!!!
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
73 Posts
I have fitted a set of General Grabber UHP's to my 2.5TDI Altitude from Event Tyres, I cannot praise them enough for the price and service. They fitted the tyres the next day and the cost was ?607 for a set of four.

The tyres themselves are quiet and have good grip and so far are outlasting the rubbish Pirelli P Zero's that were on it from new which only lasted 10k and VW and the dealer were no help when I queried the excessive wear. :shock:
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
andywilde said:
I have fitted a set of General Grabber UHP's to my 2.5TDI Altitude from Event Tyres, I cannot praise them enough for the price and service. They fitted the tyres the next day and the cost was ?607 for a set of four.

The tyres themselves are quiet and have good grip and so far are outlasting the rubbish Pirelli P Zero's that were on it from new which only lasted 10k and VW and the dealer were no help when I queried the excessive wear. :shock:
I'm still very happy with my Grabber UHPs too and others I have sent to Event Tyres have been very pleased with their service as well.

One needed to have a wheel rebalanced a few days later but it was done promptly without question and the ET guy checked the other three to make sure the customer was really happy and waited whilst he completed a test drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
tincatinca said:
Just bought a 2.5 sport on 04 plate. It came with full service history details of when tyres were changed. It appears that the Bridgestones were lasting about 15 to 16 k. These Bridgestone 255.55.18s had a wear rating of 140!!. After reading the blog on tyre wear and speaking to tyre firms, you will always get a degree of shoulder wear on 4x4s with wide tread, body role and road friction increase with speed. The blog talks about Hakook VENTUS as being good alternatives. Totally agree, wear rating of 420!!!. The harder comound has almost eliminated shoulder wear, you will always get a little but a great compromise.... who needs sticky soft tyres on a 4 x4 !!!!.
Great blog, first time here andi'm impressed!!!!
Just coming upto 2000 miles on my Ventus rears, have towed a caravan for about 500 of these. No signs of any wear at all!!. The top of he tread still has som of the mold injection marks showing!!! what can I say! nothing else....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I am just about to change my front tyres, I put Hankook Ventus on about 30,000 miles ago. The front are now down on the markers on the left wheel and nearly on the right wheel, the left wheel has a little outer edge wear, both backs are still good.

I think I will stick with them as they have been good.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
656 Posts
hi Tyred, how's it going.. haven't seen you for a while.. glad you still have the treg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Hi, I look out for you when in broadlands but have not seen you for ages, I still have it and still very pleased. Hope all is well with you and yours.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
749 Posts
tincatinca said:
tincatinca said:
Just bought a 2.5 sport on 04 plate. It came with full service history details of when tyres were changed. It appears that the Bridgestones were lasting about 15 to 16 k. These Bridgestone 255.55.18s had a wear rating of 140!!. After reading the blog on tyre wear and speaking to tyre firms, you will always get a degree of shoulder wear on 4x4s with wide tread, body role and road friction increase with speed. The blog talks about Hakook VENTUS as being good alternatives. Totally agree, wear rating of 420!!!. The harder comound has almost eliminated shoulder wear, you will always get a little but a great compromise.... who needs sticky soft tyres on a 4 x4 !!!!.
Great blog, first time here andi'm impressed!!!!
Just coming upto 2000 miles on my Ventus rears, have towed a caravan for about 500 of these. No signs of any wear at all!!. The top of he tread still has som of the mold injection marks showing!!! what can I say! nothing else....
Similar expericance here, i bought an 05 in March, they put new boots on , 255/55/18 Bridgestone ER30 Turanza with a treadwear of 140. I am keeping an eye on the rate of decent and will post some info when i have about four months worth of data. (tread depth V miles)

I saw some Bridgestone ER300 Turanza which have a treadwear of 320, in theory should last about thrice as long as the ER30's.

I am not expecting my tires to last more than twelve months and will prob be looking at Hankooks, either way what ever i go for will have a 300+ treadwear rating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
New to the forum so hope someone can help, I have 3.0 litre altitude on ayres rock 20 inch alloys.
Just about done 11 k and Michelin diamaris tyres need replacing !!
Dealer no help at all . seem to think thats acceptable.
Works out about ?1200 a year on tyres!!
Any advice and other experiences gratefully received. :evil:
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
There is loads of stuff already on here - you just need to settle down for an hour and look for it!

Do some searches on your size tyres and wheels.

Hankooks or Grabbers are the flavour of the moment.

www.event-tyres.co.uk are well recommended especially as they come to your home or office to do the deed and their prices are competitive.

Remember you'll probably need 4 tyres at the same time as there should not be more than 2-3mm difference in the tyre tread depth otherwise you can get drive train problems. New tyres have 8-9 mm.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
HI all, Shock horror I just got VW to pay 25% parts and labour for replacing all four tyres on the Treg @ 14.5K miles. This was born out of the fact that I went to an independant tyre dealer first and got them to prove that the wheel alignment was out from day one. I had to fight that point with VW but they admitted it in the end. Anyway I am going for the Grabbers based on what I have read here. Is this going to give me the best wear?
 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
19,968 Posts
antonyxhill said:
HI all, Shock horror I just got VW to pay 25% parts and labour for replacing all four tyres on the Treg @ 14.5K miles. This was born out of the fact that I went to an independant tyre dealer first and got them to prove that the wheel alignment was out from day one. I had to fight that point with VW but they admitted it in the end. Anyway I am going for the Grabbers based on what I have read here. Is this going to give me the best wear?
Mmm, so the dealer is giving you just one tyre?

What price are they charging you? Or are they paying 25% of the bill from your independent tyre dealer?

Compare here: www.event-tyres.co.uk

As for the Grabbers, I don't think anyone has had them long enough to report. All I can tell you about mine is there is less than 1mm of wear in 4000 miles.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top