Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just collected my 03 V8 with 51K, and am wondering whether to buy warranty or not. Any views/suggestions please?

·
140 Posts
No, risk it, live life on the edge,

Now waiting to be told off by Noobytoogy.

Seriously, I've had mine (V6 diesel) for two years, one year under VW warranty, one year living life on the edge.. Never had a problem, touch wood. Great car, never goes wrong, never even feels like it will ever go wrong. Keep it serviced, drive it like you cherish it and it will last years.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
The wrath of noobytoogy is looming !

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
I AM HERE!

And, yes, I have had a nice Christmas present from WD, thank you . . . [not!]

Oh foolish people, telling a man to "live on the edge" when for the price of large bag of Maltesers every day he could have complete comfort if there is a loud and expensive

Welcome to Treg ownership. As "talljohn" you may have very deep pockets and are fine living without a warranty, but if you haven't, get one today!!

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Talljohn,
Get a quote from Warranty Direct and let us know what it is.
Don't take it out on the internet,you can save pounds by haggling with them,they'll also upgrade if you play hard to get.
Don't accept their first quote
should you buy a warranty?
As you got your car for a good price it would be a bummer if something went in the near future,you've got money in hand judging by the price you paid for the V8.
my car is just coming up to 3 yrs old,ultra low mileage,but I took out a noobytoogy WD warranty.
Sod's law is still on the Statute Books.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
I'd get one

I tried living on the edge

A new solenoid valve chest, turbo and intercooler pipe later, I took out a WD Noobytoogy Spesh and feel a lot better for it

The Treg is a beauty when it's working. When it's not, it's bloody expensive and a lot of idependent VW garages won't touch them (unless you find a good one like the place I take mine
) so if it's a big issue, you'll not only have a big parts bill, you'll also have a headache from the ?108 per hour labour charge most VW Stealers charge

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, good advice guys. In my long and reasonably honorable car owning career, I have only ever had major motoring problems with a Renault Espace (which had a good Renault warranty - just as well). For my other cars, the balljoint, drop link, and air con problems aside I have not had big issues. The varied reviews on the Treg suggested reasonable reliability, so I would be interested to know how often you guys are suffering some big ticket issues. Generally; from what I have read, problems seem to centre on the drive train?? ?300-400/year for self-insurance doesn't seem a lot - but doesn't it also force you down the expensive service route too?

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
No.

As long as you have your car maintained to the manufacturer's spec [or better as many non franchised places do!], any VAT registered garage suffices when proving your maintenance record.

However, when it come to getting your warranty, I recommend paying the extra to get VW main dealer labour rate cover as they have the right tools and knowledge to do the repairs especially if it is big stuff such as engine or gearbox.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Warranty Direct have a 90 days "you can't claim" period so they don't get landed with fraudulent claims as in "policy taken out on day 1 and a new gearbox required on day 2" scenarios.

The other thing which gets overlooked is that should you sell the car privately later, you have a decent warranty to offer as they are transferrable to new owners.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
You'll soon hear from your dealer that they don't see many V8 Tregs, and as it's an 'unusual motor', I'd get one for the sake of 600 notes.

Just had some investigative work on some valve or another and it was in for 4 days and 4 hours investigation - at 90+ per hour the warranty has paid for itself already this year.

BTW, welcome to the exclusive club.

·
242 Posts
Please enlighten me with WD.

I am going to select SecureCare (53 Reg, 80k miles) but I don't know which garage would be qualified for "network garage" as specified by the WD. If there is any trouble, is it ok to bring the car to a local garage?

Please explain to me what benefits I will get if I join WD.

Thanks so much.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
Ideally you need cover with VW main dealer labour rates as they have the tools and the experience [well most of them!].

Many independent garages won't have either the tools or the knowledge. Yes, some will, but if you don't know who they are, you won't know where to go and unlike Land Rovers, there are very few independents who know how to take a Treg apart.

If you want to compare SecureCare and Warranty direct, go and have a look at the websites and look especially at what is not covered and what the maximum claims are.

·
140 Posts
Hey........... I like living on the edge, it gives me something else to worry about. 600 notes, that a big bag of Maltesers!!
Seriously though, annualy I insure,
Two cars
One motorcycle
One house
One caravan
One boat
Two dogs
One son's moped
Three mobile phones

Insurance just gets me down, I have to call it a day sometime. I guess I will just hope for the best.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have received some bad press on WD. Expensive; don't cover diagnosis; don't pay VW rates; hard to extract the cash. Also that smaller Diesels are problematic, but other than that the TR's are relatively bullet proof. Also - they didn't reply to my email enquiry for rates!

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Plenty on here who will tell you differently talljohn.
Did you speak to Warranty Direct rather than e mail?
Local agent..WD40..,living by the Thames will tell you his experiences.

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
In 18 months I've had three claims on WD, all made by the VW dealer using a motor industry computer system called 1Link http://www.1link.co.uk/ so no there's involvement from me, not even a phone call to WD or a claim form to complete.

I just provide the dealer with copies of my warranty and the last service invoice together with the current MOT [though they can check that on-line]. The latter two items are required under the claims procedure to show the car is being properly maintained.

I'll be making a 4th claim soon as the rear tailgate struts are failing and I'm in "profit" over the premiums already!

WD weren't too keen to pay for a full 4 wheel alignment after the front lower wishbones were replaced, but that got sorted OK too.

When I collect the car I pay my dealer the insurance excess of £50 and, on my current mileage, 10% of the parts by way of betterment.

The dealer sends his invoice on-line via 1Link and WD pay them directly at their VW main dealer rates - you pay a little extra when you take out the policy for that. So should there be a delay - and my dealer hasn't complained to me at any time - then it's not your money that's outstanding anyway.

And if you think a single espresso a day is expensive for cover up to the value of your car [and others have got even better deals than me by the way!], wait 'til you get a £1,000 propshaft bill or, worse, a £5K engine rebuild coming your way!

·
140 Posts
OK, In the interest of hearing both sides, and with all due respect noobytoogy. In 24 months I have had no reason to make a claim, (if I had something to claim on) My Treg has proved faultless. Even being picky I honestly can say there is nothing that has done anything other than work properly.
Im even surprised at the servicing costs. I booked mine in today, 30,000 mile service at main dealer. I managed to get them down to £190. It was only £240 last year. My 20" tyres have completed 20,000 miles and still have around 4mm left, wearing perfectly flat and even front and rear.
I just can't fault the car. Maybe i've been lucky but what is certain is that I have saved money (so far anyway) by not buying a warranty.

There thats my view for what its worth. Bloody good car....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts