Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - it's a long time since I have posted on here - butI wondered if you could help me with a problem I have?
On Wednesday on the school run the car started to run strangely (shivering - as my 5 year old announced!) and a warning light came up - exhaust system fault. I took the car to the local garage to book it in - also for a service as the light had just come on for it's 80 000 mile service. The exhaust fault was fixed with 2x coil packs for spark plugs, and the car would be ready to pick up the next day. Later that day we had a message to say the car had been taken on a run and the auto gearbox had locked up in 1st gear, no 2nd, 3rd etc or reverse gears available - and they would investigate problem. The next morning they rang requiring ?5800 for a new gearbox from Germany! Firstly - is it my problem as the vehicle went wrong in their care (I had had no previous problems with the gearbox), also, having spoken to a VW friendly dealer at another garage he stated that he has never heard of a gearbox doing that - unless maybe under hard cornering and messing with the diff lock! I wondered if other members have had a similar problem with the gearbox and could give me any clues as to how this could have happened? The Touareg is an 03 , 3.2 V6 sport. Many thanks for your time and I hope someone can help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My - I do feel for you! Here is the story so far.....

On 20th Of April 2007, I purchased a VW Touareg from a local dealership in Edinburgh. The car is on a 53 plate first registered in Sept 2003. Paid ?19,995, at the time the car had 40033k on it.

In the 17 months, I have owned the car it has spent 4 months off this time in garages.

The first time I had problems was in September, an engine management warning light came on. I took the car back to dealer, they kept the car for a couple of days and then said the problem was fixed, they had in fact replaced a sensor. I picked the car up and drove only about 2 miles and the light was back on, I called dealer and they told me to bring it back to them the next day that I did, this time they sent the car to Volkswagen Dealership for repair.

After numerous calls to the dealer over the space of a week, I was still no further forward I told them I needed a car for work and they said they had no cars they could lend me.

After around 8 days I was informed there was a problem with the timing, the engine would have to be removed to sort the problem. At this point, I again asked for the loan of a car but they told me again they had none to give. Therefore, we asked Volkswagen for a car and they say no, not their problem.

After about 4 weeks I was informed the car was fixed and ready for collection, on the way to Volkswagen to collect the car I got a call, they had been on a test drive and there was still a problem. Again, this was an engine out job, this time Volkswagen gave me a loaner car, not an automatic that really was no good as my wife only has an automatic licence, but it was a car. A week and a half later, the car was ready. From the moment I picked it up it felt strange it did not drive right, it was sluggish and rough in gears.

For the next few months the car was used seldom, we purchased another car to use as we had more faith in it. On Christmas Day my wife got in to the car to drive to her grandmothers, she drove 2 miles then the car stopped. She called and I went to her aid, I discovered the car would not select any gear. It started but the gearbox was acting as if it was disengaged, the AA collected it and delivered it to my home.

After Christmas we called the dealer and told them our problems, they collected the car on the 31st Dec and gave me a courtesy car. The car was in one garage, and then in another, finally it rested in a repair centre. The gearbox is shot and it needs a new one. I was getting sick and fed up of this so I called the finance company to return the car to them, after all, they own it, I just hire it. I could not believe a car with a mere 45k mile can have so much gone wrong in such a short space of time.

The following parties paid for the replacement, but only after 2ing and throwing.......WV (goodwill gesture) the gearbox,... 1800....Warranty Co 2000 and me 699.

We got the car back fix...ah...but only three months ago,...it broken down again.

This time it was the Coil Packs (all of them...V6) and the plugs.

Warranty paid: 1000 -- I paid 200

These are not simple faults, these are very serious and unacceptable faults, as this is 3.5 years old car that cost 20k and it is worthless.

I asked the dealer to take the car back and he refused. I thought under an act I could reject the car to the finance company and ask for my money back if the dealer is not helping. No...All of them wash their hands....

Under The Sale of Goods Act, which says, any goods sold must be 'fit for purpose' I understand this to mean it must be safe and capable of carrying out the tasks it was sold to do. It must be said that my car cannot do this.

Hope you have better luck....persistence...that is the key

1 - 2 of 2 Posts