Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed first thing in the morning the voltmeter only reads around 11v, and that was after waiting what seems like 1-2 mins after the glow plug light had extinguished. When the weather was really cold the voltmeter read even less than 11v, and the treg seemed reluctant to start. The local VW dealer had checked the battery and alternative, but didn't find anything wrong. Once the engine was warmed the voltmeter read 12v, and the treg had no problems starting. Decided in the end to invest in a new battery. I found an independent vw mechanic and he fitted a new varta battery for ?105. He told me that the vw battery is merely a vw rebadged varta battery, but there was premium of ?40 more for the vw badge. The mechanic also quoted a quantum battery which was ?20 cheaper than the varta.
The voltmeter now reads >12v, and the treg starts easily.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
?140 from a VW garage that's a steal.. I was quoted ?175 for a Beetle battery...!!!

So off to Eurocarparts, and 15 minutes later I had a Bosh for ?45......

Dealers have to get in touch with reality.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is a vw trained independent mechanic. I think he was going to charge me ?160 to put in the vw badged varta battery, but I elected to get the vw unbadged varta battery for ?105 including fitting. He also commented that the web site which shows how to remove the battery is wrong. You do not need to remove the seat altogether. Apparently after removing some of the bolts the seat will swing out of the way.
I looked at the servicing costs for the beetle they are very pricey, apparently it is to do with access.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
You read me wrong... ?175 was for the battery.... Nothing more.... Just the battery..... Now are you stunned?

Scraped my knuckles getting the old one out, but the Bug is still a 'normal' car, so I can do bits like that myself. Engine is mainly metal, not plastic...

?105 for battery and fitment to a Treg is pretty good if you don't wanna get down and dirty...

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am stunned. I would have probably changed the battery myself if it had been more accessible, but then he only charged me ?25 for fitting and disposing the old battery. ?25 isn't a lot if it spares me from backache.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts