Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
317 Posts
Germs,

The old girl went in for the 60k service the other day so as the warranty was on the way out I had a moan about the pitted and corroded alloys. They weren't bad but worth a shot I thought. The back pair had chips along the leading edge of the arms where stones and grit had worked away at them. This had blistered the laquer. The front two were a little better but have been subject to a few remodelling issues where the present Mrs Socks felt they stuck out too much... I was suprised to receive a call the following week from Ipswich that I had 4 new Ayers Rock alloys waiting to be fitted. Fair play to them! No chasing or moaning from me...they just replaced them. Although I did have to fit new front discs and all round pads following the service.

Socks.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
nice one, gonna see if I can get a set from my stealer !

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
VW need to sort their dealers out - I was refused this for the exact same problems and recently paid to have all mine refurbished

Good news for your though Socks

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Great result - I have noticed that a couple of my Sienna 19" alloys have some very minor corrosion starting under the lacquer. Didn't mention it at my 1st service last week but will pursue this when the tin worm becomes more evident.

Always found VW warranty claims with my local dealer to be pretty good in the past - got 2 18" Monza II alloys replaced no quibble on my last GTI

Cass

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi folks

I'm looking at a 57 Touareg today (sorry Kaine - been looking for lower mileage than yours). The Ayers Rock alloys are apparently knocked about a bit, so I wonder if any of you can give me an idea as to how much they'd cost for refurb (I'll prob get them coloured anthracite or black if I do buy it!). The guy said it needs new rear tyres too, so could you tell me what size the Ayers Rock take (and how much I should pay!).

Also, in the absence of any mechanically-minded friends, I might have to buy this by myself. Now, I can drive it and feel and listen for problems, but could you give me an idea on the cost of new pads and discs if I fail to spot that they're all shot!

Hope to join your gang soon...

Cheers, Toby

[Edited to remove the Cass quote which was intentionally]

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
I paid £100 for a full refurb on one of my wheels, and then £50 each for the other three

Kaine

p.s. low mileage isn't everything you know

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
New discs and pads all round including the wear sensors range from around £200-250 for the parts if you can do the job yourself to £1,000 if a VW dealer does it, with independents coming in at around the £500-700 mark depending on their hourly rates [cheaper in the north than the south!]

If you are looking at new rear tyres which will have 8mm of new tread, then the existing front tyres should have at least 5mm of tread otherwise you need 4 new tyres to avoid transmission wind-up and gear box problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are looking at new rear tyres which will have 8mm of new tread, then the existing front tyres should have at least 5mm of tread otherwise you need 4 new tyres to avoid transmission wind-up and gear box problems.
Blimey! I'd not thought of that! Just how scientific do we need to be? Surely anyone who's got hard tyres at one end and soft compound at the other (or even different pressures) would eventually find the variance in tread is greater than, say, 4mm, and presumably that starts to be a problem. In fact, on teh car I'm looking at, the fronts are recent but the rears are almost at the limit, so presumably some damage has already occured?! Or am I taking this advice to literally?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blimey! I'd not thought of that! Just how scientific do we need to be? Surely anyone who's got hard tyres at one end and soft compound at the other (or even different pressures) would eventually find the variance in tread is greater than, say, 4mm, and presumably that starts to be a problem. In fact, on teh car I'm looking at, the fronts are recent but the rears are almost at the limit, so presumably some damage has already occured?! Or am I taking this advice to literally?
Just to update... I bought the car, and had Event Mobile come and fit a pair of Hankook 275/40/20's for a very respectable £258.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great result - I have noticed that a couple of my Sienna 19" alloys have some very minor corrosion starting under the lacquer. Didn't mention it at my 1st service last week but will pursue this when the tin worm becomes more evident.

Always found VW warranty claims with my local dealer to be pretty good in the past - got 2 18" Monza II alloys replaced no quibble on my last GTI

Cass
nothing to do with the alloys but a fellow yid is always worth a hello

·
3 Posts
Germs,

The old girl went in for the 60k service the other day so as the warranty was on the way out I had a moan about the pitted and corroded alloys. They weren't bad but worth a shot I thought. The back pair had chips along the leading edge of the arms where stones and grit had worked away at them. This had blistered the laquer. The front two were a little better but have been subject to a few remodelling issues where the present Mrs Socks felt they stuck out too much... I was suprised to receive a call the following week from Ipswich that I had 4 new Ayers Rock alloys waiting to be fitted. Fair play to them! No chasing or moaning from me...they just replaced them. Although I did have to fit new front discs and all round pads following the service.

Socks.
I have a 57 plate Altitude with a fractured Alloy, 24 k on the clock - one month out of warranty - verified by garage no impact damage - suspected manufacture fault - and the VW Dealers are offering me 60% off the price of one Alloy - that still leaves me with a £280 bill. That £700+ a wheel.. You did very very well..

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
nothing to do with the alloys but a fellow yid is always worth a hello
And to you Biggie - hope we get a result on Saturday lunch time

Cass

1 - 12 of 12 Posts