Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not had a 4x4 with the vw option. Can someone please explain how the 4x4 system works on a 2015 r-line.
I was taking the dog for a walk and tried to pull up a slight incline with wet leaves and had wheel spin, even switching off the traction control made no difference.
Switching to off road was ok.
Q. Does using off road mode on tarmac or black ice lock up the axles or diffs to cause damage.
Can someone please explain in simple terms how the system works please.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
The T4 4wd system works with a permanently-engaged Torsen centre diff which will vary the front:rear torque to the axle with most grip - the front & rear diffs are open but the traction control gives a form of torque vectoring when it uses ABS to brake a spinning wheel.

If you're getting wheelspin on a slight gradient with wet leaves then it's a) worn tyres or b) a heavy right foot - I've towed a 4.5 tonne motorhome off wet grass without any hint of wheelspin

·
Registered
325 Posts
You got there before me BG
The torque vectoring/e-diff takes a little while to react so a wheel will slip until it's slip is detected and the system reacts and applies the brakes to that wheel. In off-road mode the e-diff will react quicker when a wheel slips.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all,, I did let the wheel spin for around 5 to 10sec, but being on a very narrow rd I couldn't wait too long.
Just miffed as never had a problem in any motor.
Tyres are nearly new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts