Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening.

Ok a bit of a weird one really and wanted to see if anyone else has had this fault?
Flashed to say thanks to another motorist the other night and got a 'check lamp' indication on the MFD and a lamp symbol in the speedo.
Thought OK blown lamp.
Got home tested and found even though the Xenon is on it doesn't flash ???
Offside works fine as do all other lamps but cannot figure out why it doesn't flash if it lights up normally?

Does it have a solenoid or something annoying sealed in where I won't be able to fix ????

Any tips or pointers please?!?!?!?

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
When you flash your headlights surely it is the main beam light units, and not the dipped beam, that flashes so is it the n/s main beam bulb that's blown, hence the MDF message, and not the dipped beam xenon?

·
23 Posts
I thought that too, but on inspection the offside xenon brightens up when flashed ??? I thought this was odd as I would presume the voltage nor the resistance changes?
The lamps in the assembly are the Xenon, side, indicator and turn(kerb light)
I spoke to VW and I may as well as asked my nan what the fault was!! So no help there either

I'm reluctant to just put it in the stealer's as I don't trust them.

The last resort may be remove the assembly and see if can strip it down a bit to have a look see, could be a giggle.

I think, please correct me if I'm wrong, that the "brightening up" as actually a change of projection, hence the idea of a u/s solenoid.

Cheers,
Peter.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Are you saying you do not have two headlights - a dip and a main beam along with the sidelight and the winker in the same headlamp unit?

Or if you do have two headlights in the same unit, do you have xenons in both the dip light and the main beam light?

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Nooby,
sorry if I seemed a bit confusing, the joy of night work lol
Both main and dip beam are projected from the same lense but I'm not sure wether or not it is 2 or a single lamp. I think the only way to find out is take it apart. Hmmmm???

G

·
Had a BMW with xenons and there was a "shutter" which moved out of the way to allow full beam from the outer/dipped lamps. But, as noobs is suggesting, there was also a pair of inboard lamps which had halogen bulbs and provided the headlamp flash facility. I thought this was because xenons do not light up as rapidly from off as a regular bulb.

keep us posted

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Looks like the way forward is to take the light unit out BUT PLEASE BEWARE: xenons use a ballast to deliver very high voltage to the bulb so unless you really know what you are doing, I'd suggest you go to an auto electrician.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts