Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would show a couple pics of my new toy. It needs a little sprucing up, so it's going to be a little project. Great nut's and Bolts engineering, but I think the power steering is broken

View attachment 1 DSCN1599.JPG[/attachment:21rsn6ak]
DSCN1602.JPG[/attachment:21rsn6ak]

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I used to sell these.

Great watching the bottom of the two rear wheels trying to kiss each other in extreme cornering - as long as some other idiot was driving at the time.

So mind how you go!

·
430 Posts
Looks like a very nice example and with the way the bonnet lifts very easy to work on and around, little electronics even has a normal coi as I remember, friend had one.

I once had a Triumph Stag and had the engine out twice ( Crank problems) and also a Triumph Dolomite Sprint........... the Sprint was the tightest engine bay I have had the mis-fortune to work on...... many a scrapped knuckle in my mis-spent youth. But when either were running (BL 70's non build quality, I could have done better with Lego) they were both great fun to drive.

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a scary feeling when I'm sat in it next to the Treg and my eye level is just below the Treg's wheel arch.

And don't worry nooby, I'm not planning any hard cornering. Anyway, It'll take a while build up my muscles just to turn the steering wheel and work the foot brake.

·
318 Posts
Nice motor TH

Brings back happy memories from when my old fella was running a light blue one.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
If you are serious about the effort required to steer, something's wrong.

These were, forgive me, a lady's car, and the steering was quite light.

·
886 Posts
Hi Neil,

Smart looking motor.

Sue and I had an old one in the late 70's.

When we got it the steering was very stiff and heavy.

Can't remember the exact part name but after changing the steering knuckles on the front the steering was a revalation.

Sounds like maybe you need to do that and keep well lubricated ( The knuckles not YOU I mean )

Ours was bright yellow and my favorite addition to it was a twin bore Peco exhaust that sounded awesome.

Have fun with it

Cheers

Tom

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The steering isn't all that bad.. just typical non power assist after being used to modern cars for the last umpteen years. Everyone who sits in her smiles constantly.. even SWBMO had a huge grin when she sat in it and the engine purred into life (and she wasn't exactly pleased when I told her I'd bought a car without her knowing
)

When I had her the engine wasn't running very well, but I've now serviced her (ooh-err) and she's purring like a happy kitten.
She's not been on-road for a good few years, so I'll be sending her for MoT this week and will have all fingers crossed... at least it'll tell me what I need to have done (if anything).

I've just got this big problem where I can't stop buying shiny things for her.... What will SWMBO say???? :|

I'm having fun!!!!!

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a few more pics.
View attachment 1 SPITTY2.JPG[/attachment:ujjeci1f]
SPITTY4.jpg[/attachment:ujjeci1f]

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
VERY nice

A neighbour restored one from a bare bones body shell - spent 2 years fixing it up with restored original parts wherever possible, and took it to a couple of Owners Club rallies - and woke up one morning to the Fire Service dowsing down his garage after a catastrophic electrical fault - the car was a pile of charred metal

So he started all over again, with a new body shell - the car is a real labour of love and it is just stunning

Me? I want a Triumph Stag - proper blokes car
(if you can get the bugger to start!)

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Triumph Spitfire: "engine looking for a chassis" my dad used to say! My sister-in-law had a GTV6 and having been a passenger in that when she got it sideways at 20mph, I can see why he said it! Her Indoors had a nice, gutless, but safe-handling MG Midget ... used to dream about the sort of power your Spit has in its 1500cc mill!

Keep your wits about you, TH!

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Nice toy TH!

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't enjoy Spitty yet... failed MoT because the front brakes were binding.. probably because the car has been standing for the last few years. So not too bad considering.
Stripped the callipers down and released the cylinders, will have to bleed the brakes tonight, then back to have the brakes checked.. Hopefully I'll have done a good enough job to get her through MOT so I can Tax it for June 1st. I am quite enjoying the simplicity of the mechanics so far though.

I also broke the throttle linkage (direct throttle link, no cable). Luckily one of my metalwork suppliers did a FAB re-welding and refurb on it so I can fit it tonight. Great job, no cost... it's good to have contacts.

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm very pleased to update you all and inform that Spitty passed her MOT today

Now just need to get Tax for June 1st and the open road here I come.
I'll have to be careful that the wind in the hair experience doesn't leave me with no hair left. Perhaps I'll wear my sunglasses on my head to keep it all in place..... I picked up that tip from another mytreg member..... you know who you are

·
886 Posts
We all know who it is

It's Crispy !!

·
40 Posts
My dad had a 1976 tahiti blue spitfire 1500 the car I learned to drive in on the concrete pad between builth wells and brecon on the military ranges never got over the feelling of driving a open top sportscar hope you enjoy'd the summer I will put a post up of my soft top just found a photo the spitfire and my Dad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts