Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I collected my Touareg this morning without any problems.

It's an 04 reg 2.5 manual. Not everyone's cup of tea but just what I was looking for.

On top of the usual spec list it has heated leather and parking sensors. I'm glad I found one with leather - makes the interior IMO.

It's done 81k and had a full VWSH. It's been serviced 5 times now. The most recent was about 7 months ago where it had new discs and pads front and rear. Had the history confirmed by a VW employee friend of mine.

Needs a tyre and a mirror glass which is cracked.

Came home for ?11,750 from a dealer. Good haggling potential when it's cash and no part ex. Nice chap to deal with.

Anyone know the price of the VW bootliner?

Here's a couple of photos for those interested:

NB when it's sunny I always end up as a shadow on the floor!

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Looks good mate

Regarding tyres - changing one may not be the best option - especially if it's partner is < 5 mm.
It looks like your fronts are different to your rears - you might want to match up.

also - since I have an 04 2.5 which had a slightly less celubrious history - just check that yours had the 90D7 recall work done (relaced water pump, updated ECU SW and some other specific bits and pieces).

You might find some stickers under the carpet top left of spare wheel bay as you look in. Other wise it may be in the service paperwork. I foyu are not sure then get the VW people to check and confirm.

Happy motoring

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
The depth of tread on the tyres should not be different by more than 3 mm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has Goodyear Wranglers on the front and Pirelli Scorpions on the rear.

On Pirelli has a nail on the edge

Which tyres are recommended for these? Have I heard mention of Hankooks?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Hankook Ventus and General Grabbers UHP both have good write ups in the forum.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Just been to dealers having a look at these this very week. VW heavy duty bootliner is about ?130 (tough rubber with high sides) and the VW flexi loadliner is about ?40 (like a semi rigid foam construction). Decided neither were for me and bought a 1.2m x 0.8m length of opaque matting from Halfrauds at less than ?20 instead. Doesn't cover the whole floor (front to back) and is about 1.5 cm too wide, but it is non slip and does the job for me

Some other options/ideas here:

http://www.tregcentral.com/scripts/prod ... ategory=89

Cass

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
MJK 24 said:
It has Goodyear Wranglers on the front and Pirelli Scorpions on the rear.

On Pirelli has a nail on the edge

Which tyres are recommended for these? Have I heard mention of Hankooks?
You used to be able to small punctures on the edge repaired by vulcanising.

The tyre had to be sent away and took a week to turn around so you'd probably end up buying two new tyres and keeping the old ones at the back of the garage just in case.

Does anyone know if you can still get tyres repaired like this?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Yes, there's a tyre repair place in Stone Staffordshire. They mostly do commercial and farming vehicle tyres. I wouldn't go back to them ever since they scratched my old dakar alloys.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
well done mjk!

Welcome to the fold!

I think the other chaps have dealt with your queries on tyres etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is an area that they cannot do a repair in, I have a screw in mine and it is just outside of the area for repair and as the tread is getting low on the front 2 I have decided to go ahead and have the set replaced

My local dealer offered to price match when I asked them to quote on replacing all 4 tyres :shock:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I understand most tyre places can repair a puncture as long as the foreign object is within the tread pattern, if its too near the shoulder it will be scrapped as the repair cant handle the constant flexing of the sidewall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts