Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Spent the last weekend and few evenings installing a new Kenwood 5240BT with Bluetooth, Ipod in glovebox, reverse camera and rear headrests.

Everything was going great until fitting the last headrest, with a brand new stanley blade my hand slipped and sliced approx 1 inch gash in the headrest !!

I am either going to have to find some sort of trim to hide it or get another headrest from a breakers if possible, that will teach me not to pay someone else to do it!!

Any suggestions more than welcome

Anyway here are some pictures of the good bits, View attachment 2 New Head unit.jpg[/attachment:iavug113] View attachment 1 Reverse Camera.jpg[/attachment:iavug113]Good headrest.jpg[/attachment:iavug113]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And now some of the problem area,
View attachment 1 Headrest rip.jpg[/attachment:3fi97gb5]Headrest rip 2.jpg[/attachment:3fi97gb5]

I was thinking some sort of additional trim panel between the screen surround and the headrest to hide it but can not think what at the moment

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Stuart,have a look in yellow pages and have a word with one of those mobile firms that come out and do invisible upholstery repairs....you know the chaps who repair splits in dashboards and cuts/*** burns in seats.
They'll probably back it,fill it and put the same grain on.
hth.

·
1,553 Posts
Apart from the slip, which I must add could happen to even seasoned pro' you have done a very tidy job.. top marks 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comment, I was going to pay a pro but costed it out and was looking at approx ?2000 to buy all the gear from a high street shop or ?1150 to buy online and install it myself. To be honest it was an easy job and other than the reverse sensor and a switched live everything else was pretty much plug and play using a specific wiring adaptor for the car supplied buy the same on line shop.

Still kicking myself for the slip with the stanley blade though!!

We are doing a 400 mile around trip over the easter weekend and I have a load of my sons films copied to the ipod which he can then watch on the screens while we drive, all controlled from the head unit which is great

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
If your Treg was fitted with that radar thingummy which keeps the car in its lane and away from the one in front, you could climb in the back and watch them with him!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Looks great Stuart - thanks for the post

I'm interested to know where you hid the wiring for the headrest displays. Is it routed through the headrest, seat and carpet? And did it involve removing the seats to do it?

Thanks

G

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hiding the cable for the headrest took some thought but this is what i ended up doing,

1) After the whole was cut in the headrest for the screen I removed the metal prongs (ie the part the joins the headrest to the seat).
2) I then used a grinder and drill to make a small whole in the top of the metal prong so I could get the wire from the screen, through the headrest and comming out of the bottom of one of the prongs
3) I then wound the seat as far foward as possible which (just) gave me room to get my hand into the seat, there is an elasticated flap at the bottom of the seat to allow for this. The cable then goes under the seat runner (using a tie strap to make sure it can not move or get snagged and then tucked up into the centre console by the armrest
4) I then ran a phono cable from the head unit under the centre console and comming out by the rear passenger lighter section
5) with the lighter and ashtray removed I ran all the cables under the back of the centre console and took a power feed from the cable used to power the rear lighter

Still to do is to mount a switch in the blanking plate next to the rear lighter to have individual control of the rear screens as i will not want them powered on every time I am in the car, only when my son is in there.

After that I indend to use the blanking plate on the other side of the rear lighter to mount video in, stereo l&r so you could plug something else into the rear screens as a one off should we wish. my idea being when we go on holidays or something we could power a playstation using the rear lighter and and feed sound/picture into the rear screens

Hope that all helps and makes sense!

·
55 Posts
Great Job! Sorry about your 'slip'I picked up my treg from VW camberley about a month ago. It's just done 10,000 miles (7000 when I bought it) and when I first went to see it there was a cut on the back seat. It was about 1/2 and inch long. The guys at VW had only picked up the car from the auction the day before so hadn't had time to 'dress it' prior to our test drive.

I was assured that the seat would be repaired as good as new... I was a bit scepticale as the cut was right in the middle of the seat and no where near a seam. A week later when I went to pick up the car, I couldn't find the cut or any trace of a repair. So much so I asked if they had had to replace the entire seat cover!!!

Needless to say they hadn't. Whilst I don't know who VW Camberley (Martins) use for their repair work, I would certainly recommend them, and I'm sure if you give them a call they will let you have the contact details of they guy they use.

If they give you the run around 9i.e. want you to book it in through them and add a huge markup), let me know and I'll call the sales guy who I bought the car from, I'm sure he will let me have their number.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Nice job and hopefully one of the suggestions above will help solve the "cut".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts