Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Spent the weekend sorting the bodywork on the Treg, next week will do the inside. I have had the car for 2 months now and this is the first chance I have had to give it a proper going over.

This is what I did,
1) Snow foamed the car
2) Clayed every panel
3) Did whole car with machine polisher and Meguiers cleaning compound
4) Went over car with machine poliser and Meguires speed glaze
5) 2 coats of Autoglym super resin polish
6) One coat of autoglym glaze
7) Cleaned all glass, wheels, arch liners etc and went over all plastics with Autoglym plastic cleanser and protectant

Before Pictures

·
430 Posts
Looks lovely, what a labour of love, mind you that's more chemicals than ICI have

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Great job

Cass

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone, It hasnt been moved since it was cleaned (ended up spending the remainder of yesterday enjoying the sun in the garden with a few glasses of wine and a BBQ.

Think we will be taking our lad to the beech today so will try to take some better shots of the bodywork but I am very happy with how well the paint has come up.

Next weekend will be the inside, need to do a little wiring first though (need to get cable into bootlid and tap into reverse to trigger the reverse camera and need to find a switched power feed to run the rear headrest screens).

After all of that is done I can get back to my kit car and hopefully my wife will keep the Treg nice and clean (its her daily driver).

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
As I scrolled down the pix and got to the shiny black wheelarch shot after the misty moorlands, I thought, "Blimey, that's good stuff he's used there - repels anything you chuck at it" - then of course I saw the back yard pix!

Mine is the same colour but as I've already admitted, I can only be ar$ed to wash it every 6 months or so!

Well done

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Absolutely stunning! I know I'm a bit smitten with the vehicle anyway, so I have a natural bias, but I love it. And, what's more, I love that colour too.

Great job.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Shamed me into washing mine today in the rain . . . and debadging the rear whilst I was at it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is stunning and l guess the pics dont do it justice, ld love to see the rain try and stick to that paint ... one things missing though and thats the pic of the tub of elbow grease you used...must have been a biggy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I could do with spending some time learning how to take a better picture but have little spare time as it is :oops:

Noobytoggy, I was debating to debadge mine and think I will go for it. Was it much of a job? How did you do it?

I also want to replace the rear numberplate as it has a few black marks where it looks like water has got in. The plates are fixed to a Black plastic surround but they appear to just be stuck to it and I am unsure how best to remove as it is difficult to get between the plate and the surround to lever appart.

I am starting on the inside this weekend. Plan is to finish off the wiring as mentioned earlier and then shampoo, clean, apply leather cream, do windows etc and I should hopefully be happy with it by then

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
On a warm day, I cleaned the panel and dried it.

Then I parked the rear of the car facing direct sunshine for a couple of hours to warm up the glue.

I then gently worked a flexible plastic kitchen spatula in behind each letter and pulled each one off VERY slowly and carefully with both hands to make sure they couldn't slide on the paintowrk as they came free.

Black glue stips were left behind so I carefully picked at each one to lift an edge and then rolled them into little balls with my thumb before picking it off like big bogeys!

I used Gone Glue [or you could use Tar Remover] on a piece of muslin polishing cloth to remove any other residues.

The whole exercise took less than an hour for "Touareg" and "V6" to disappear.

I still have to give the panel a good polish to get the last remaining marks off.

I've done this on all my cars over the years as I believe "less is more".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Inside of the car now done how I want it.

Its taken a while and the pics dont really do any justice but I am happy with it.

All carpets shampoed, leather cleaned then fed with autoglym leather protection 3 times, all plastics and dash cleaned.

Then finally completed the media install, you may have noticed another post on here from me where I accidently cut the headrest when fitting a screen
Well luckilly I got them both tidied up and re-trimed for a bargain price of ?80.
I have also chased a cable into the boot lid and taped into the reverse light to trigger the camera. Now when my wife reverses she has sensors, cameras, mirrors and eyes so fingers crossed !!

·
108 Posts
any chance of a full detailed account on what you done and how you done it and ruff cost ect for rear camera and the head rest dvd conversion

thanks in advance

graham

·
108 Posts
thanks for that will look into it

graham

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stuart, I once read that fine fishing line was good for removing car badges.

Might be worth a try!

Cheers, Andy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts