Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collected our new toy yesterday but it wasn't all sweet I'm afraid.

When we arrived (10 mins early - I like to do that!!) I immediatley spotted the salesman and the sales manager pouring a worried gaze over the front N/S bumper. I said to the missus, there's a problem with car!! By the time we got the kids out of the old Golf I managed to come face to face with the salesman heading to the Treg with a bottle of black turtle wax polish. I followed him to car and he led me to the front O/S bumper and pointed out a "sticky mark" which he was about to remove. "Rightly so" I said (although black turtle wax was not necessary!) "but what's wrong with the N/S?" I walked round and saw it had been bumped and there were two small gouges in the plastic :shock:
The salesman stuttered a reply and I knew straight away that they had hoped t let it go unnoticed.
Big Mistake!! Despite them saying they would take care of it (I expected nothing less) I gave it a thorough going over and delayed talking payment for as long as possible. Maybe I shouldn't have paid for it at all but the tax was out on the Golf so I couldn't really take it home, and I just wanted it anyway (can't take a kid to the toy shop and not get anything can you?). They touched it up meantime and intend to book it in ASAP.
Add in the fact that they appeared to ignore my request for info on the latest sat/nav disc and status of firmware version and I was not best pleased. Let the 'customer v stealer' battle commence

Anyway, back to Treg itself. First impressions are good, very smooth and quiet. Gear changes are sweet, although might try the reset thing with the box and see how it reacts. Nice turn of speed (not so nice fuel consumption :shock: ). Nice to have plenty of room for the kids and luggage / golf clubs / kids buggy etc etc

My previous post re roof bars v roof rails left me sitting on the fence, but I think i have decided I'd rather swap the bars and have rails instead as two people have already said to me "didn't think it was a Taxi you were buying", ignorant fools!!!

Will post some pics after the rework is done, hopefully soon.

Andy

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi Andy and congratulations with your new beast, l hope your dealer is more capable than mine!

Read my thread on 'long life service #1' my car is due back tomorrow ... the battle may go on. :twisted:

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Congratulations on the new toy. Albeit with the caveat about the scratches (naughty, naughty dealer). Oh, and the roof rails? Told you so ...

Hope you have great fun with your Touareg.

Chris

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
Leant THAT trick the first week as a trainee car salesman!

My sales manager dented the panel beneath the passenger door on a new Triumph Toledo [that gives my age away!] so he parked it with the nearside next to a very high kerb when the purchaser came in and did the paperwork and the handover as briskly as possible and off the new owner went.

Two days later, the new owner appeared asking for a quote for a dent just below the passenger door!

He kept saying, "I don't know how it happened - I just can't remember hitting anything!"

Later on, we had a green Transit van for sale and the guy who wnted it asked if I'd take it to his house to see if it fitted in his garage. On my way there, I called in for tea at my parents - and scraped the nearside of the van all down their granite gate post as I left! Ouch.

Anyway, by the time I got to the bloke's house it was dark, but his garage doors were open so I reversed the van in as tight as I could to the wall on the nearside. Thankfully there was no street lighting and as the driver's door opened fully before hitting the wall on the offside, he was well pleased, signed the paperwork under his porch light and I drove off to get the van sprayed in our body shop the next day!

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Kaine said:
nice one Andy

and ignore Wurzel about the roof rails - he's wrong
I think he's right ... he did warn Andy ... and I agree

It's a minor detail Andy - it shouldn't affect the pleasure you get from driving the treg. If you ease off on the accelerator, maybe in 6 months time you can afford to get the rails

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Kaine said:
nice one Andy

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Now look what you made me do, you rotten pair. Put on my sandals (yes, sandals) to go outside and and take a dodgy blurry picture just to prove my point ...

chrisbin said:
Kaine said:
nice one Andy

Peasants :roll:

Btw, Andy, pictures!

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Nice pic Wurzel and nice colour :wink:

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
andy5mart said:
Collected our new toy yesterday but it wasn't all sweet I'm afraid.

When we arrived (10 mins early - I like to do that!!) I immediatley spotted the salesman and the sales manager pouring a worried gaze over the front N/S bumper. I said to the missus, there's a problem with car!! By the time we got the kids out of the old Golf I managed to come face to face with the salesman heading to the Treg with a bottle of black turtle wax polish. I followed him to car and he led me to the front O/S bumper and pointed out a "sticky mark" which he was about to remove. "Rightly so" I said (although black turtle wax was not necessary!) "but what's wrong with the N/S?" I walked round and saw it had been bumped and there were two small gouges in the plastic :shock:
The salesman stuttered a reply and I knew straight away that they had hoped t let it go unnoticed.
Big Mistake!! Despite them saying they would take care of it (I expected nothing less) I gave it a thorough going over and delayed talking payment for as long as possible. Maybe I shouldn't have paid for it at all but the tax was out on the Golf so I couldn't really take it home, and I just wanted it anyway (can't take a kid to the toy shop and not get anything can you?). They touched it up meantime and intend to book it in ASAP.

Andy
Well just over two weeks since I picked it up and it's in for the second attempt to repair the damage. The first repair was shocking. Used a 'chips' repairer who failed to fill the chips / dents / gouges (call them what you like) and then proceeded to spray it with what looks like must have been an aerosol from Halfords!!! Spray on bumper trim and masking lines visible on the wing. Also paint soft to touch and the polishing left more swirls than you could believe possible. They took a machine polisher over it without removing any grime / tar spots etc - idiots!!

Anyway, I'm too kind and I gave them one last chance to fix it or else we do it ourselves (my father owns a body/paint shop) and bill them back or else I envoke my 30 day return and money back!! Salesman's face went white.

Name and shame to follow. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Andy I think you are too soft on them. They do have vw approved body shops, you should insist that they take your vehicle to one.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
staffs said:
Andy I think you are too soft on them. They do have vw approved body shops, you should insist that they take your vehicle to one.
Apparently they have this time Staffs, so hopefully be much better. Will report tomorrow when I go and find out.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
andy5mart][quote name= said:
Andy I think you are too soft on them. They do have vw approved body shops' date=' you should insist that they take your vehicle to one.[/quote']

Apparently they have this time Staffs, so hopefully be much better. Will report tomorrow when I go and find out.

Andy
Sounds like the Sales dept tried to save themselves a few quid on the deal. They will now have to pay the Bodyshop as they will bill them for the work. Make sure there is no overspray on the car when you pick it up. I have had experience of this on my old GTI and having had the bonnet resprayed at my VW bodyshop, I ended up having to get the roof mopped and then relacquered to get rid of overspray/solvent etching. Nightmare but hopefully your job will be done well

Cass

1 - 15 of 15 Posts