Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2003 Touareg yesterday and found a 3 phono(red, yellow, white) Cable sticking out from the centre console

I managed to connect my iphone to the red/white via phono/3.5mm lead and then use the ipod music through the car speakers by AUX part of my Display.

Sound was superb, plus when someone rang their speech came through the car speakers crystal clear.

But my question is, is this an add on or genuine Vw optional extra?? I tried to connect a dvd player to the red, yellow, white and was expecting
a picture on my display, but only got sound from the film, anyone know why?????

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I think what you have may be similar to a device which I added to my 2006 2.5 with MFD2 + satnav.
Its probably an aftermarket mutimedia box which connects into the the back of the mainunit and provides both a video and audio input, for use with DVD players. The three phono plugs As you have guessed, the video and stereo left/right. The signal is selected using "AUX (AV)" Mine came from Spain, via EBay.
On my model the centre console box has two phono sockets factory fitted for audio input selected by "AUX".
Remember that video is disabled when the vehicle is in motion, although there is a way to disable if you are determined. (To kill yourself!)
If there is no video when stationary then I can't guess. Best to get a set of 4 removal keys and pull out the main unit to see what is connected, although they can be a pain to put back in if extra cables and bits are connected.

I have a pin out diagram for the DVD based MFD if it helps but I would thnk that yours will be the CD based RNS.

·
560 Posts
I think what you have may be similar to a device which I added to my 2006 2.5 with MFD2 + satnav.
Its probably an aftermarket mutimedia box which connects into the the back of the mainunit and provides both a video and audio input, for use with DVD players. The three phono plugs As you have guessed, the video and stereo left/right. The signal is selected using "AUX (AV)" Mine came from Spain, via EBay.
On my model the centre console box has two phono sockets factory fitted for audio input selected by "AUX".
Remember that video is disabled when the vehicle is in motion, although there is a way to disable if you are determined. (To kill yourself!)
If there is no video when stationary then I can't guess. Best to get a set of 4 removal keys and pull out the main unit to see what is connected, although they can be a pain to put back in if extra cables and bits are connected.

I have a pin out diagram for the DVD based MFD if it helps but I would thnk that yours will be the CD based RNS.
Cheers for this,
Right, I connected a portable dvd player to these phonos, turned ignition on but i was only getting sound, after about 15 mins of wading through different settings and menus i decided to start the engine to save battery and hay presto, Peppa Pig appeared on my Satnav screen

I moved the gear selector to "d" and "r" and the picture stayed on(i know on a previous x5, as soon as you selected gear screen would go off)
i didnt drive the car to see if the picture remained but i will do so in the morning.

Has anyone ever connected an iphone to their units to play video/movies, im sure a video signal booster is needed???????? and obviously
the iphone AV/Video out cable.

I will not be watching movies whilst driving, just thought handy for passengers who are left in the car for a bit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts