Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

If any of you out there have been trying to find proper off-road treads that for your Touareg then this may be of interest. I have just fitted a set of wheels with Cooper STT's in a size 245/70R17. They fit rather better than the 265/70's that have been suggested elsewhere, as to my mind they leave much more room for mud clearance. Oh, and apparently they make the speedo read accurately but I have yet to test this with a gps.

I use my car as what used to be called a 'shooting brake', so it tends to spend quite bit of time through the winter wallowing around on/in anything from plough to highland pony tracks. They have transformed the off-road ability of the car from borderline useless to absolutely superb at the expense of a bit of a decrease in mpg (Oh alright, quite a lot then...) and some road noise (Turn the radio up a notch or two!). As with BFG mud terrains that I've used in the past, the road manners are surprisingly good both wet and dry .

I've attached a couple of pics.

Supermoto.

Attachments

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
When you say off-road capability was "borderline useless" what tyres did you have on before?

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
As for the speedo, you could well be right if your speedo was running 5.1% slow previously!

There's a link below the photo to a very good site where you can enter your previous tyre size [235/65/17?] with the new 245/70/17 to see that the car now sits threequarters of an inch higher and the wheels are now completing 661 revolutions per mile vs 695, so your tyres will last longer too!

And the Coopers look good even if I still quite like these Firestones which are OTT [click image to enlarge]!

View attachment 29

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Attachments

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that link, really useful!

The original tyres were Dunlop Garndtreks on the front and some sort of Conti' thing on the back (4x4 Contact?), either way about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

I spotted that Firestone equipped Touareg while researching, ISTR that they were 265/70x17's but I thought the clearances looked decidedly marginal.

It'll be interesting to see if the speedo did read slow originally, a few of the US Touareg owners seem to think it does. We shall see, the GPS will reveal the truth!

Supermoto

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Speedos err on the slow side as it illegal to err on the fast. Mine is out by about the 5%.

As for the tyres, a number of us went to Grabber UHPs as they cope extremely well off-road as demonstrated by the Touareg Experience Team [now disbanded] and the only thing I wouldn't tackle would be wet plough, other than that nothing has stopped them thus far.

Click on the image for full size:

View attachment 31

No idea how I got this thumbnail attached! Can't delete it!! HELP!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks,

I'd appreciate any help you could offer, I'm currently running Yokohama 275/45/19 on my 3.0 Altitude, which are not the best in the snow (tend to slide and generally not grab well on slopes). It would appear that my only real options would either be to get a new set of 18" alloys so that I can get some reasonable boots fitted, or alternatively change to 255/55/19 Pirelli Scorpions (which I had fitted to my Disco 3 which were ok). Obviously I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible as I haven't long fitted the Yokos (good price £165ea fitted). Any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Thanks huwey

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
You can fit winter [snow and ice] tyres to your existing rims and change back to the Yokos in April. Then change again in December and so on. The tyres will do two or three seasons depending on yuor mileage.

www.event-tyres.co.uk [very well recommended and theycome to your home or office but check if they cover your area]

?842 for a set of 275/45R19 108V PIRELLI SCORPION ICE + SNOW XL [Click on image for larger picture]

View attachment 33
www.camskill.co.uk [recommended on here too but mail order and you get a local company to fit for around ?60] have Vredesteins, yet again the top rated winter tyre by ADAC [German/Dutch motoring organisation] for ?800. Click on image for bigger picture.

View attachment 32

Attachments

·
47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys, unfortunately Event tyres don't cover us down here in the permafrost zone (south wales) and most of the places I have tried all say they are clean out of winter/AT tyres and there will be a 2-3 week wait for them to come in(even tyrespec seem to be out of the size I need). Apparently all the Landy boys with RRSports and Disco 3's have beaten me too it!! Due to this I may stick it out for this season and try and get a set of 18" rims for next season which will then allow me more choice of both winter or A/T tyres and may even open the door to a set of Grabbers which I note you all seem to speak so highly about.

Won't go to stealers for the rims though as Sinclair in Newport quoted me £354 each (plus vat of course) for a set of 18" rims yesterday. I think they just invent a figure double it and add £50 for safe measure as the wheels weren't that fancy (Halfords offered me a nice set of 4x4 rims for £154ea inclusive of vat which I think would be far more realistic - especially as they'd only be on the car for 3-4 months per year).

Thanks to everyone for the advice and i'll see if I can source something half decent tomorrow (as am awaiting a call back from one source for a wheel tyre option).

Happy Tregging

Huwey

·
430 Posts
Event did not cover my area either (mid wales) but they agreed to come out but removed the discount from the quoted price to cover their extra mileage. They can also meet you somewhere they do cover as they are totally mobile

1 - 11 of 11 Posts