Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Erm nor sure if this is a rare event but here goes.
Purchased a 3.0Tdi Altitude (2006MY) on Tuesday. Thought I had better take it to the Dealer to make sure it was sound and nothing falls off etc.
Anyway took it to the Dealer. They spent about 40mins giving it a "healthcheck" - tyres /oil/wheels/breakes etc, etc.
When it came back I asked "how much"? Told that there was "No charge, and by the way, your car is very nice and should not need a "proper" Service for another 12 months".
Is this rare? i.e. free check over and also a polite Service chap?

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I just fell off my chair.

No charge? They must have charged someone? Did they charge the woman behind you in the queue? I'm amazed they even had time to see you and your vehicle to be honest. Every time I 'walk in' to a VW dealer it's accompanied by so much sucking of air through the teeth (before they eventually say, "Computer says no") that I can feel the back of my neck stiffening in the breeze.

Well done banbury that man!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wurzel, You and me both.
Maybe helped that they had Serviced my wife's company Golf the previous day?
Not sure if I will get the same level of service next time as I did polish off a few of their little packets of biscuits that they have for customers. Note: I recommend "dunking" the ginger biscuits and the ones with the chocolate pieces - lovely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking of having one of these done at Northampton VW (now part of the Derby Parkway group and not Autohaus) and it is called an EVC - Express Visual Check. It's a 34 point free check over the vehicle and takes about an hour and a half apparently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ToyBoy,
Yep that is the one. I am just looking at the report now. The title on the A4 printout is "Visual Health Check Report".
They list Dents/Scratches; Internal/Lamps/Electrics etc, etc.
You end up with a score sheet which is either Green or Orange. Note: Green is good!
Whilst it does not replace someone "Test Driving" /spending time crawling over everything in great detail - it does offer some piece of mind.
I did think they would charge me for an oil top up to justify their time but it was totally "gratis".

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Quite a few people have had the free check. It's a way to get a new customer on board. One or two of us have had quotes for new discs and pads afterwards so there's always the possibility of an up sell from it - however my discs and pads did another 12 months albeit I do a very low mileage.

It's certainly something I'd recommend ot new owners of second hand Tregs.

·
108 Posts
I had my Sharan from kidlington alwas had good service from them just happens that is where i sat in my first Touareg then when the Sharan had a service they invited me on a test drive for a Touareg the rest is history as they say.

Graham

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
One of the dealer principals here who'd been in the trade around Oxford for years suddenly jacked it all in and became a meter reader!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99% of the time they 'try it on' for extra work through the so called free health checks.
Vauxhall Dealers seem to be hard at it at the moment, I know of many customers whom have been unhappy with the Level of work that Vauxhall and there Dealers have been recommending needing doing on their cars after a free check.
Most of the work they recommend is totally b*llocks and is just within normal scope of wear and tear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts