Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently become a proud owner of a 2004 R5 touareg which I love!

Apart from getting used to the girth of the car the other problem I'm having is a slight stutter when driving at a constant speed. This doesn't happen all the time, and seems to be most evident when slowing down (for instance when you are going down hill and decelerating). This may just be the characteristics of this car, but to me it feels like there's a problem. I have read somewhere that it could be the fuel filter..looking for some wisdom from the forum on this.

Also my oil looks a deep black even though the most recent service has been carried out (about 6k ago). I think the car was previously used for short runs so it may be a good idea to change all the filters and oil. Is the black oil common with fully synthetic oils due to its detergent properties?

On the positive side the car performs far better than I expected. There was much talk about the 2.5 (R5) being under powered but I now know this is simply talk. Acceleration from standstill is quiet astonishing for a 2.5 ton vehicle and acceleration for overtaking is excellent. There is a delay with the auto gearbox but overall I've been pleasantly surprized. It's no sports car, but it certainly is a high performance SUV

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Can't help with the stutter. Sorry.

As other will know ['cos I bleat about it a lot!] I change the oil and filter on all my cars more frequently than manufacturers' recommended distance/time, especially when doing short journies [as I now do].

I don't see the point in paying good money for a complex car and then cheap-skating the service regime so for ?100 or so, I change my oil and filter every 6 months.

And as for the get up and go you are so pleased with, I strongly suspect the car has been chipped by a previous owner which should have given it about 30bhp more than the standard 170 or so. But since you don't know that, you won't need to tell your insurers!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The performance thing could be due to it being chipped but I haven't driven another treg to know the difference. I'll do some 0 to 60 runs to see what I get, however my main worry at the moment is this strange stutter.

G

·
I experienced symptoms like you describe on a Dodge Durango (US treg size SUV). Was most noticeable when using cruise control, and after a while I noticed the stutter was matched by a 1-200 rpm change on the tacho. Turned out it was a gearbox fault - it was starting to make a downshift, then going back to top gear. Didn't get any worse and still doing it when I traded it in. Was irritating though.

Don't know if this will give you any leads, but best of luck and I hope it's cheap to fix.

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard of gearbox issues being the problem, I will have to have the stealers look at it next week.

It seems to make sense as it feels as if it's rapidly changing between gears. It would also make sense that you don't feel it during acceleration and more during slight deceleration. It is also more evident when I'm using the cruise control! If it is the gearbox I'm hoping it can be sorted with a software upgrade, I can't see this as being a mechanical fault.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
BigAl,
Do the gearbox reset as well.
You never know it might help.
No basis for suggesting it,just "any port in a storm" suggestion.
Look in "Legal Speeding with a Treg "thread

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Nimrod said:
BigAl,
Do the gearbox reset as well.
You never know it might help.
No basis for suggesting it,just "any port in a storm" suggestion.
Look in "Legal Speeding with a Treg "thread
Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.
Press the gas pedal right to the floor and hold it there for at least 5 seconds [which is why you didn't start the car!].
Remove foot.
Turn the ignition off and remove the key.

And here's a video:

·
Registered
437 Posts
l have had something similar but not when the cruise is on, its when l ease off going down hill, l feel like the car is braking via the gears and it feels like there has been a downshift but the MFD shows the same gear ? ls yours like this ?

·
749 Posts
How are your tyres ?
I have a very similar problem with my bmw, turned out to be the two front tyres.

I would get judder at low speed which wasnt so bad at speed though, sounded like a low frequancey rumble which would change pitch as speed increased.

Does the judder or noise vary with speed or does it just kick in an out at random

Hope its a cheap fix either way

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmmm... sounds like something else ? All my tyres are at 4MM are yours even, could be the diffs working to make up for uneven wear ? check the pressures once a week, mine can alter a fair bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
linn1000 said:
l have had something similar but not when the cruise is on, its when l ease off going down hill, l feel like the car is braking via the gears and it feels like there has been a downshift but the MFD shows the same gear ? ls yours like this ?
Sounds like exactly the same problem! Mine also does it when easing off the throttle. When you said 'had' does this mean you fixed the problem? I don't think it's down to tyres, it's too much of a stutter for that.

I'm hoping the gearbox reset will do the trick although I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
437 Posts
lts like it all the time but l thought it was normal? l never gave it much thought up till now. l think its gearbox related . l also find that when l reach 5th gear under normal acceleration l will see the revs hold at about 2,000rpm in 5th and drop to just above 1,000rpm even though the acceleration is constantly going up, its almost like an old 'overdrive' but lm still in 5th gear! Pulls like a train once the revs drop with no kickdown unless l really floor it.

strange!

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Strange it does it on different diesel engine sizes.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
I thought of you guys today - I noticed that mine does exactly the same thing. I was just coasting down a steep hill (down which I'm usually braking hard or still on the gas
) and it did exactly the thing you describe herein. Like Linn1000, I ain't bovvered neither. It sounds like a 'characteristic' rather than a fault don't it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wurzel, lm no expert but its clear that there is some complex wizardry going on in the transmission , maybe VW could explain it.

Might be worth starting a new thread so that all owners / users can go downhill and see if all share the same characteristics, its a bit like the brakes being gently applied for a second now and then...
:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts